“Good and Bad”

Ranked #33 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
El Paso, Texas
“Good and Bad”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I had a decent stay at this hotel. I have stayed here with tennis tournament functions before and prefer the tower to the "motel type" rooms.

The staff are very friendly. The hotel is pet friendly. They have very pretty grounds. The beds are fairly comfortable...lots of pillows - love that. The room we had was pretty sound proof, something that I always look for in a hotel stay. I found the location to be convenient to restaurants, park, tennis courts. We were on the fifth floor and the view was nice as well.

The rooms were alittle dingy - carpet and bathroom floor especially. There was a large stain on the carpet right near the door....was the first thing I saw every time I came into room. Our sink drain was alittle slow and our tv remote didnt work so well. Though annoying, didnt seem like enough to complain about, but still, would have been nice to have these things work alittle better. Parking seemed limited at times. As someone said in a prior post, seemed like the pool was usually full of children, so I never quite made it down there. Great for a family, not so much for couples.

We paid $99 a night and I thought this was a fair price for this hotel especially because there was not an additional charge for pet, parking or internet.

Room Tip: Ask for Tower room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My bathtub had a large crack where the caulking was coming out. I happened to look at the air vent in the bathroom and it was caked with dirt and filth. The water ran cold and when I called to let them know, I was told that I had not turned the faucet on all the way... really? Later a maintenance guy explained to me that the water would only get to 100 degrees and this was standard. I stay at lots of hotels and have never had just "warm" water when taking a shower. Don't count on a hot shower here. I won't bother going here again.

Room Tip: Try one on the first floor close to a boiler that produces hot water.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
SLemon445, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Tucson - Reid Park, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear savvytravelers40,

We’re very sorry we didn’t provide you with the high quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay at our hotel. Our housekeeping staff will be sure and address the vents to ensure that they are well maintained and cleaned regularly. We apologize for the water temperature issue and we’re currently discussing this with our maintenance team. We hate to disappoint you and hope you reconsider visiting us again for an improved level of comfort.

Regards,

Sue Lemon
Director of Sales and Marketing
Big Spring, Texas
Reviewed October 13, 2012

From the moment I entered everyone was helpful and very friendly. Room was clean and neat.
THe Shuttle took us to dinner and returned to pick us up. Maps were provided and sites recommended. Restaurant was very attractive. I give it an APLus.

Room Tip: The Tower rooms have a good view of the Arizona sunset.
Kansas City
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Here are some things you need to know about the hotel that they may not tell you:

1. They charge $20 per person each way for their own airport shuttle. I was not told until I waited almost 30 minutes for the shuttle to arrive. We chose to get a cheap rental car instead because it was cheaper for our group. This alone will hike up your room bill dramatically. Other hotels have free shuttles!
2. Most of the "traveler" pictures on this site are actually provided by the hotel. They did not reflect the bathroom and quality of bedroom I had!
3. Their tv's do not work correctly. You can see this pointed out on many of the reviews here. It is true. I was told that they will pay for a free movie because of this, or I should go out and not watch tv.
4. The breakfast buffet in the restaurant is very low quality food as are many of the entrees on the menu.
5. Our room, and the room our friends stayed in both had dirty floors on the tub as well as mold or rot on the caulking.

These are all items I communicated to the management during my stay. They even moved me to another room the next day because of the tv and dirty bathroom issue. The sad part is that the tv in the new room also had the same issues, and the bathroom was just as dirty. My wife refused to use their tubs until we went to the store to buy "scrubbing bubbles" and sprayed the tub.

3 Thank KCTrvlOftn
SLemon445, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Tucson - Reid Park, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear KCTrvlOftn,

Thank you for the candid feedback on your recent stay with us. We are so sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We have noted the issue you experienced with your television and are actively working with both our cable provider and television provider to resolve the matter. Our housekeeping team is focused on paying extra attention to the condition of the bathtub in each room as they do their cleaning checks. Lastly, we will keep your concerns on our breakfast offerings and shuttle policy in mind as we continually evaluate and evolve to better serve our guests’ needs.

We truly hope you’ll stay with us the next time your travels bring you back to the area. It will be our pleasure to have the opportunity to provide a memorable visit on your next trip to Tucson.

Regards,

SueAnn Lemon
Director of Sales and Marketing
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The staff at the doubletree were very friendly. The room was clean and nice for the value. The only thing is that the hotel is not really within walking distance to restraunts, shops, etc although they are not far away. Would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Arlington
Reviewed September 23, 2012

A group of five friends including my 92 year old Uncle stayed here for my daughter's wedding. The property was gorgeous and the staff very attentive. Loved the buffet breakfast and pool. Nice to stay on ground floor room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DCAndrea
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I was really impressed with this hotel--they took the time at check-in to make sure they had all the details correct; the room was great and the hotel breakfast was great. I would have liked some additional non-American touches to the breakfast (i.e. perhaps some Mexican items) considering the hotel appears to draw some cross-border traffic.

The hotel is very close to the airport but far enough away that there was no noise. Easy to get to U of Arizona.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business