“Refurbed but not really...”

Doubletree by Hilton Tucson - Reid Park
Ranked #35 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My bathtub had a large crack where the caulking was coming out. I happened to look at the air vent in the bathroom and it was caked with dirt and filth. The water ran cold and when I called to let them know, I was told that I had not turned the faucet on all the way... really? Later a maintenance guy explained to me that the water would only get to 100 degrees and this was standard. I stay at lots of hotels and have never had just "warm" water when taking a shower. Don't count on a hot shower here. I won't bother going here again.

Room Tip: Try one on the first floor close to a boiler that produces hot water.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
SLemon445, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Tucson - Reid Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Dear savvytravelers40,

We’re very sorry we didn’t provide you with the high quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay at our hotel. Our housekeeping staff will be sure and address the vents to ensure that they are well maintained and cleaned regularly. We apologize for the water temperature issue and we’re currently discussing this with our maintenance team. We hate to disappoint you and hope you reconsider visiting us again for an improved level of comfort.

Sue Lemon
Director of Sales and Marketing

Write a ReviewReviews (1,297)

Reviewed October 13, 2012

From the moment I entered everyone was helpful and very friendly. Room was clean and neat.
THe Shuttle took us to dinner and returned to pick us up. Maps were provided and sites recommended. Restaurant was very attractive. I give it an APLus.

Room Tip: The Tower rooms have a good view of the Arizona sunset.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Here are some things you need to know about the hotel that they may not tell you:

1. They charge $20 per person each way for their own airport shuttle. I was not told until I waited almost 30 minutes for the shuttle to arrive. We chose to get a cheap rental car instead because it was cheaper for our group. This alone will hike up your room bill dramatically. Other hotels have free shuttles!
2. Most of the "traveler" pictures on this site are actually provided by the hotel. They did not reflect the bathroom and quality of bedroom I had!
3. Their tv's do not work correctly. You can see this pointed out on many of the reviews here. It is true. I was told that they will pay for a free movie because of this, or I should go out and not watch tv.
4. The breakfast buffet in the restaurant is very low quality food as are many of the entrees on the menu.
5. Our room, and the room our friends stayed in both had dirty floors on the tub as well as mold or rot on the caulking.

These are all items I communicated to the management during my stay. They even moved me to another room the next day because of the tv and dirty bathroom issue. The sad part is that the tv in the new room also had the same issues, and the bathroom was just as dirty. My wife refused to use their tubs until we went to the store to buy "scrubbing bubbles" and sprayed the tub.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KCTrvlOftn
SLemon445, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Tucson - Reid Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear KCTrvlOftn,

Thank you for the candid feedback on your recent stay with us. We are so sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We have noted the issue you experienced with your television and are actively working with both our cable provider and television provider to resolve the matter. Our housekeeping team is focused on paying extra attention to the condition of the bathtub in each room as they do their cleaning checks. Lastly, we will keep your concerns on our breakfast offerings and shuttle policy in mind as we continually evaluate and evolve to better serve our guests’ needs.

We truly hope you’ll stay with us the next time your travels bring you back to the area. It will be our pleasure to have the opportunity to provide a memorable visit on your next trip to Tucson.

SueAnn Lemon

Reviewed September 24, 2012

The staff at the doubletree were very friendly. The room was clean and nice for the value. The only thing is that the hotel is not really within walking distance to restraunts, shops, etc although they are not far away. Would stay there again.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

A group of five friends including my 92 year old Uncle stayed here for my daughter's wedding. The property was gorgeous and the staff very attentive. Loved the buffet breakfast and pool. Nice to stay on ground floor room.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DCAndrea
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I was really impressed with this hotel--they took the time at check-in to make sure they had all the details correct; the room was great and the hotel breakfast was great. I would have liked some additional non-American touches to the breakfast (i.e. perhaps some Mexican items) considering the hotel appears to draw some cross-border traffic.

The hotel is very close to the airport but far enough away that there was no noise. Easy to get to U of Arizona.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

I stayed in room 409 and it was a handicapped room- I'm not sure why I was given this room- there was absolutely no counter space. No place to put your make-up bag or toothbrush. Had to balance the hairdryer on the edge of the sink and brush fell on the floor several times. I was charged twice for the internet and because I put it on my personal credit card and not my room, there was a lot of back and forth re: getting it fixed. They did say it will be corrected and hopefully when I get my credit card statement the card won't be charged. The tv didn't work when I got there- it was stuck on the welcome to the hotel channel. The maintence guy did come and fix it, but really awkward having a maintence person in my room at 8pm fixing the television. I am not a big tv watcher, but when I'm away from my family, it's nice to watch something I would like to see. Also the tv drops about every 5th word that they're saying. Annoying! I really don't want to stay in this hotel again and I travel for business and Hilton Hotels are the preferred hotel- I will try to find something else I think.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 409-
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
SLemon445, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Tucson - Reid Park, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear Springercrazy,

Thank you for sharing your comments on your recent stay with us. We’re very sorry you were unhappy with your experience at our hotel. We appreciate hearing from you and will keep your comments about the counter space and room set up in mind as we continually work to improve our guest’s experience. We have replaced the television in your room, however, we apologize that it was an issue during your stay. The next time you travel to our area, we hope we have the opportunity to show you the quality of amenities and service you expect and deserve.

SueAnn Lemon