“Big mistake”

Red Roof Inn Tucson South
Ranked #82 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
“Big mistake”
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Finding a coupon, we found and attempted to register at this motel. The young man at the desk that evening was clearly over his head in handling even the most simple technical tasks. First of all, he assigned us to a room that was already occupied. Next he assigned a room that had been broken into. The main door lock did not work, and the safety lock was broken off and completely unusable. During our check in process, two different parties returned to the desk because of room problems they were having. One of the rooms had not been cleaned even by 5:00 pm.
When we cancelled our room, I asked for a copy of the original bill and noted that he had clearly not used the discount coupon that we presented when we first attempted to register.
In defense of the desk clerk, the management has the most blame here, for not properly training nor supervising a person who was new to his job and clearly not capable of handling a large influx of customers. Our three attempts to get a room there took over fourth five minutes. Wifi did not work, although it was recently refurbished.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
i0225, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Tucson South, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your experience at the Red Roof Inn. I am sorry that the front desk did not take care of you in a proper manner. I have provided your feedback to the entire staff to ensure we can better help future guest. I can assure you corrective measures have been taken so that future guest do not have to experience what you went through. Feel Free to contact me if you have any other comments, questions or concerns. Lyndsay Dorman i0225@redroof.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed February 24, 2013

First i would like to say that i have stayed in a few Red Roof Inns over the last few years and this is definitely one of my favorites. The staff there are very courteous and well spoken. They almost bend over backwards to see that the guests are well taken care of.The housekeepers are equally great. I stayed two nights and my housekeeper was Nichol on both days. She did an absolute wonderful job making sure i had everything i needed and that the cleanliness was up to my standards(which it actually exceeded). I recommend the Denny's on site for breakfast. Good service, good food, and if you present your room key you get ten percent off. There is also a burger joint next to the hotel that is great for dinner or a night cap as they might have the best happy hour i have seen so far. All in all i really enjoyed my stay here and will definitely be staying here when i return to Tucson and recommend it to anyone looking for great service at a great price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
i0225, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Tucson South, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay in Tucson. I am excited to share your kind words with the staff. Nichol takes pride in making each guest room clean and comfortable. As you mentioned the Denny’s on site makes it convenient to have a quick breakfast before checking out. The burger joint you mentioned is called Brooklyn’s; it is within walking distance. We appreciate your continued business and look forward to your next stay here in Tucson. Lyndsay Dorman GM
i0225@redroof.com
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed February 7, 2013

If you're looking for a cheap stay, this is your place. Our single king bed room was under $60 on a Friday night. The quality of the room wasn't that bad (with the exception of the dead bee on our air conditioner unit). The bed was really comfortable. Of course, there was a party going on upstairs and we had to call the front office at 3:00am, but what do you expect - you're staying in a motel? The front office clerk was apologetic for the noise disturbance and gave us a coupon for 15% off of our next stay, but I don't think we'll be taking advantage any time soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
i0225, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Tucson South, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Guest: Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay in Tucson. I am glad you found the bed to be comfortable. I apologize there was a noise disturbance during the night. We take immediate action in that situation to ensure you have a more comfortable night. I have shared your comments with the staff so we can prevent this in the future. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us during your travels and hope to see you again in the future. Lyndsay Dorman GM i0225@redroof.com
Cedar Crest, New Mexico
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed two nights while visiting Tucson - especially because the Red Roof South was very close to the Pima Air Museum where we visited.
The first night we were in a room facing south (just north of I-10) which made for a noisy night with the trucks on I-10. The next morning we requested another room and the front desk staff were very accomodating and saw that we got a room on the othe side of the building which was much better. There is a train track nearby, so if trains bother you, take your ear plugs. We weren't bothered by them at all and slept just fine the second night.
Beds are quite comfy!
The rooms are pretty clean. Our room had a refrigerator and microwave. A good value for a place to stay while exploring Tucson. Near the attractions on the east end of town (Pima Air Museum, Sonoran Desert East).
Denny's on the premesis and had a good breakfast there with a discount if you are staying at the Red Roof.

Room Tip: King bed rooms are roomy. Both rooms we were in had a desk for computer or work. Choose a room tha...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
i0225, Manager at Red Roof Inn Tucson South, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Guest: Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Red Roof Inn Tucson South. I am glad you found your room to be clean and the hotels location to be convenient. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us while exploring Tucson. We look forward to seeing you the next time your travels bring you to the area. Lyndsay Dorman General Manager i0225@redroof.com
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed January 23, 2013

An employee by the name of Irene is an outstanding employee! She goes out of her way all the time for her customers and is an excellent help! She found my I.D. in the parking lot and she returned it to me right away! She is great, im very thankful for her services.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
i0225, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Tucson South, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Guest: Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Red Roof Inn Tucson South. I am very pleased that Irene took such good care of you. I have shared your comments with all the staff as well as Irene. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us and hope to see you again soon! Thank you Lyndsay Dorman General Manager i0225@redroof.com
Foster City, California
Reviewed January 16, 2013

It would be very good except for the dysfunctional room keys and tasteless coffee. It is conveniently located by I-10, and Denny's is nearby. It's rare to have an elevator for a two-story motel. We (family of three) stayed for two nights. Pima Air Museum and Saguaro National Park are really nice. Unfortunately, the air force bone-yard wasn't open on 12/23/12.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest: Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Red Roof Inn Tucson South. I apologize you found the coffee tasteless and your room keys didn’t work properly. I have shared these comments with the staff and we are taking corrective action. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again in the future. Thank you Lyndsay Dorman General Manager i0225@redroof.com
Talent, Oregon
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I recently stayed at this motel just south of Tucson, Arizona, on two separate nights. The first night was entirely satisfactory, with a clean room (no smoking on the premises!) and access to the Denny's Restaurant from the lobby of the motel. The woman at the desk, Irene, was pleasant and helpful, and I had absolutely no complaints.

When I stayed a second time, a few nights later, the room was clean but it was missing its chair (which I needed for working on my journal and for sitting to eat my dinner) and while the door locked with the handle, the deadbolt wouldn't slide into its slot, leaving me with only the swing-shut latch to secure the door.

On checking out, I spoke (courteously) to the staff at the front desk about these deficiencies and they very pleasantly adjusted my rate from $44.99 to $29.99, which, in this day and age, is a remarkable sign of hospitality and a terrific bargain. I was very satisfied with this transaction, and would not hesitate to stay at Red Roof in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Traveler1047
Dear Guest: Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Red Roof Inn Tucson South. I am pleased to hear that we were able to solve your issue with remarkable hospitality. We strive to have every guest leave satisfied. I have shared your comments with the staff. We appreciate your business and hope to see you when your travels bring you back to Tucson. Thank you Lyndsay Dorman General Manager i0225@redroof.com