“Fun Place, Killer Location”

The Historic Hotel Congress
Ranked #56 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I would recommend this hotel for location and great service, yes there are a few minor things they could be updated ... but I was very happy staying here. I was advised at time of booking I was booking a "Club" room and told of the loud noise from the club below until 2am, they did not lie about that (they did supply ear plug that can be found in the bathroom). It is a Historic hotel so you don't get all the fancy stuff like at the Hilton or Marriott, which didn't bother me. If you staying there to watch TV or relex ... THIS IS NOT YOUR HOTEL! I was there to catch at show at the Rialto Theatre, right across the street. It totally met my needs. Yes, the bath room could use a new sink ... but the room was clean and I was surprised how comfortable the bed was, and plenty of pillows. Maybe down the road they could update the carpet, it is showing its wear but adds to the character of the place. This may not be hotel for everyone, but I do recommend giving it try ... JUST AVOID THE "CLUB" ROOMS IF POSSIBLE!

Room Tip: AVOID THE "CLUB" ROOMS, if possible.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
JulieHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

Dear AZTraveler85616,

Downtown Tucson is truly becoming the place to visit, we have venues for shows, top restaurants, art, museums and the bustling of urban culture. The Hotel Congress has worked hard to promote Downtown life and now we get to share what it has become with our guests.

We are also trying to stay true to the history of the Hotel while making it a updated place to stay so this year I do have plans for some upgrades in a handful of rooms.

There are newer reviews for The Historic Hotel Congress

Reviewed January 5, 2014

This is indeed a historic hotel and that is the reason to stay here, not to stay here and complain about what it doesn't have for amenities. True, there is no flat screen TV or even a TV in the room at all. If you want to watch TV go to the TV room here with a flat screen TV or go to the bar. There also is no coffee maker, ironing board, or hair dryer. Now with that out of the way, this place has great stories to tell, great ambiance, wonderful food in the café, and very friendly staff with reasonable rates for a lively downtown location. There is a great mural in the bar, and a history hall to read about the place. This place rocks with ghost stories, good live music, great drinks, an outdoor patio and many events to attend throughout the year. We stayed two nights at the end of December 2013. Didn't stay for the NYC-style/NYE party but it looked like it was awesome. We ate breakfasts and one dinner in the Cup Café, the selections were unique and delicious as were the creative drinks. The hotel staff and café staff were very nice and helpful. We loved the 2nd floor patio open to the sky with beautiful wall murals. Some of John Dillinger's gang stayed here, many others including Led Zeppelin.The décor is great throughout the hotel. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Depends on whether you want a room with a window to outside or to the patio. Either is a good choice...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank traveltheworld012

Dear traveltheworld012,

Thank you for your review. We want our guests to know the history of the Hotel Congress, there is just so many great stories to tell and we work to preserve them along with Tucson's' history. We will see you next time.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Clear your head of the negative reviews you have read and on this hotel and start over. This is a HISTORIC hotel. Hotel Congress is preserving the history with this great location instead of adding all of today's modern bells and whistles. If you want a flat screen TV, a sleep number bed and the ability to connect your iPhone via bluetooth ... keep looking. If you want to have a great time at a fun, historic, haunted hotel in the best part of downtown Tucson this is your place. Everything is old, yes. That being said, our room was sparkling clean. The bathroom was spotless, sheets were fresh and clean, there wasn't dust anywhere. The staff is extremely friendly and welcoming ... an amazing experience. Cup Cafe on the first floor is a great place for breakfast, especially if you want to create your own Bloody Mary. Yum. The hotel is within walking distance of other great places like The Hub and Playground. Will I visit again? Yes. Thanks for a great stay Hotel Congress!

Room Tip: You are warned when you book your stay that the property is not quiet. They offer ear plugs, but it...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
JulieHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Dear OSUCHRIS01,

I am very lucky I get to meet people from all over the world who come to the Hotel Congress and like what we have to offer. We are not for everyone but we are for most. Thank you for being our guest.

See you soon,

Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

I'm a native to Tucson. Have stayed at the Congress Hotel several times. This trip I was so very, very disappointed. The place looks to be falling apart, in need of a major renovation. My bed was right next to a window and there was a half inch gap letting cold air and traffic noise in. The tub was filthy. The bathroom overall was quite dirty. Our room was dusty and smelled stale. There are no televisions in any rooms, which I like. Only a telephone and old radio. Unfortunately the outlets (only two in the entire room) were strangely loose and we couldn't get anything to stay plugged in. Radio kept shutting off and we couldn't get our cell phones charged.
No other amenities (water bottles, coffee, room service) are offered. Feels like they're doing everything they can to save a few bucks and scrape by without putting any time or money into the place.

Very sad to see this once beautiful, historic hotel and important piece of Downtown Tucson, going down the toilet.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank AZCatie
JulieHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

Dear AZCatie,

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations, we try very hard to say historic, but your perception of us being run down is disheartening. I would like to have the opportunity to address the issues with your room but after I looked through them I could not find the issues you spoke of. Please reach out to me so I can look into the issues you brought up in your review.

Reviewed December 25, 2013

I was treated warmly from check in until check out. Having moved to Tucson only a few weeks ago and having no family in town, I decided to start a new Christmas Tradition, part of which included staying in the Hotel Congress. The hotel has the feel of being old, dark carpeting and wall paper and no tvs in the rooms, but they do have an old classic radio to listen to. They aren't kidding about the hotel being "loud" My room was on the Congress Street side and you do hear traffic until late, in addition to other guests walking the halls and the occasional freight train. Have no fear though, earplugs are part of the room amenities! So if you are a light sleeper, it is in your best interest to obtain a cactus garden room. As in most historic hotels, this was centrally located in downtown so near a public transportation hub, a good amount of decent restaurants and coffee shops. I enjoyed myself thoroughly and will be back!

Room Tip: If noise bothers you, request a room in the center of the hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
JulieHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

Dear tptraveler11,

Your review of the Hotel is exactly what we strive for. Thank you for staying with us and your review.

Reviewed December 25, 2013

Another great stay at The Congress Hotel. I was there this weekend & had a great time. The staff are always friendly & the atmosphere is "electric". This is just a fun spot. I saw "The Cult" across the street at the "Rialto". You have a bunch of very interesting things to walk to & you get a real good "feel' for Tucson from this spot. Can't say enough good things about the place.

Room Tip: ask for a room that's quieter; not that any will be less than tolerable.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Peter R

Dear Peter R.,

I am happy to hear you had another great experience, we are lucky to have guests that like to make a night out of what Downtown Tucson has to offer. I hope we can keep exceeding your expectations.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Congress for two nights on the weekend. It's a lovely building and the service was excellent. Our Cactus Garden Room was basic but quite charming. The first night was a bit noisy due to a private event in Copper Hall, but we still slept very easily. It's hard to beat the price and location, and the hotel has such a wonderful history. I would definitely stay here again! Don't miss Hot Club of Tucson on Sunday mornings; they play Django Reinhardt music and are great.

Room Tip: Cactus Garden Rooms are generally quieter; you will not get noise from the club, bar, or street, but...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
JulieHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Dear Kristin H,

Thank you for staying with us, Sundays are my favorite day because the Hot Club of Tucson plays live music, the Bloody Mary Bar in the Lobby and Brunch in the Cup Café bring out the best crowds. Sorry about the noise some nights there is no escaping it but most of the time guests get into the events for free so if you can't beat them join them.

See you next time.