“Charming, Lively, Great Downtown Location”

The Historic Hotel Congress
Ranked #56 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Congress for two nights on the weekend. It's a lovely building and the service was excellent. Our Cactus Garden Room was basic but quite charming. The first night was a bit noisy due to a private event in Copper Hall, but we still slept very easily. It's hard to beat the price and location, and the hotel has such a wonderful history. I would definitely stay here again! Don't miss Hot Club of Tucson on Sunday mornings; they play Django Reinhardt music and are great.

Room Tip: Cactus Garden Rooms are generally quieter; you will not get noise from the club, bar, or street, but...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
JulieHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Dear Kristin H,

Thank you for staying with us, Sundays are my favorite day because the Hot Club of Tucson plays live music, the Bloody Mary Bar in the Lobby and Brunch in the Cup Café bring out the best crowds. Sorry about the noise some nights there is no escaping it but most of the time guests get into the events for free so if you can't beat them join them.

See you next time.

Best,
Hotel Rooms Manger

There are newer reviews for The Historic Hotel Congress

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Staff was very friendly. Great location for downtown. Extremely clean room, but small and no TV (I expected this from a historic hotel). Lots of street and train noise at all hours of night. Bed was way too soft. I always wanted to stay here and now that I've done it, I probably wont be coming back.

Room Tip: ....Ask for a quiet room away from exterior walls.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear scardott,

I am glad that you finally got to stay here after wanting to for a while, and am even happier that the staff was friendly and added to your stay. Our Hotel is noisy it was built before cars and amplifiers so in hopes to curb that we provide ear plugs in the bathroom, I hope you found them. Our Hotel is not for everyone but thank you for giving us a try.

Best,

Reviewed November 15, 2013

I was in town to attend the All Soul's Procession. The parade route had changed since my last visit, and the hotel staff were quick and capable to inform me of the new route, and arranged free nearby offsite parking for me. There was even a map available at the front desk.

The Hotel Congress is an older hotel with all the quirks you'd expect from an old building. But the facilities were as good as can be expected. The room was retro, and lighting and plumbing were fine.

I left an article of clothing in the closet, and at my request the hotel staff arranged to have the item mailed to me, and I received it several days later.

This is a great place to stay for a taste of Old Tucson.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
JulieHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2013

Dear Robert S.,

Thank you for giving us a second chance, I am glad we got the opportunity to prove to you the type of Hotel we truly are.

See you next time,

Reviewed November 8, 2013

If you're looking for a 5-star-fall-over-the-staff experience, this is not the place to stay. But, if you want character, a lot history, and enjoy the old world charm, Hotel Cogress is a Gem. very conveniently located in downtown Tucson. Lots of bars and restaurants around... But why go out, this place has something going EVERY night.

Room Tip: The quiet rooms are on the Congress road's side... ask for them!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
JulieHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2013

Dear Monet T.,

Thank you for your review, and for staying with us.

Hope to see you soon,

520.622.8848
julie@hotelcongress,com

Reviewed October 24, 2013

My room at the Historic Hotel Congress was as promised. Queen sized bed. Bathroom. Free wi-fi. There was no TV, but they told me that in advance. And that's fine. But they didn't tell me how spare the room would be. It really didn't speak so much about being historical as being without much personality. Sorry. But that's how I felt. It was a perfectly good place to stay, just not that something.
The Hotel itself, the restaurant, the front desk people, the vibe, is great. Just don't plan to spend too much time in your room!

Room Tip: Ask for a room far away from the bar.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I love the Hotel Congress, even on a noisy night I love this place! Its alive, full of vitality and energy, and the food is great. I always like who is at the front desk and if noise is an issue, they have ear plugs. The rooms are always clean, beds comfortable, and no TVs, I like that!

Room Tip: Maybe not a room above the bar.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank PollyandEsther
JulieHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

Dear PollyandEsther,

Your review was great, we are tapping into the guests that understand what the Hotel Congress is all about and we could not be happier.

julie@hotelcongress.com

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I recently stayed two separate nights at the Hotel Congress. Here are my thoughts:

Staff: One word to describe them: PHENOMENAL! I interacted with four staff (three at the front desk and one in the bar). All went out of their way to be both personable and professional. I could not have asked for more.

Location: If you are taking Amtrak, as I did, the location could not have been better. The hotel is right across the street from the Amtrak station in downtown Tucson. I thought that the area around the hotel would be a bit dodgy. I was totally wrong. The downtown area is filled with some neat restaurants and coffee shops. A new streetcar system is being built that will connect the downtown area with the University of Arizona. I was totally impressed.

Rooms: I am a bit noise sensitive and asked to be put in a "quiet" room. For my first night, which was a Sunday night, I was put in Room 211. It could not have been better. It was perfectly sized for one person and I heard no noise whatsoever except for an occasion train whistle. I was totally impressed! The second night, a Tuesday night, I was put in Room 218. That room was...a bit tight. From the looks of the diagram on the hotel's website, Room 218 is one of the hotel's smallest rooms. I had no problem getting around in the room, but anybody with a weight issue would have somewhat of a difficult time negotiating the bathroom. IT WAS SMALL!

Noise- Music: I heard absolutely none of the music emanating from the hotel on either night.

Noise- Canine: When staying in Room 218, I heard a dog barking away in Room 221. When I went on the hotel's website, I did see that dogs were allowed and had certain rooms designated as pet friendly. Unfortunately, Room 221 was not one of them. I really do like animals, especially dogs, but hearing a dog bark incessantly in a room where dogs were not allowed was a bit much for me. I spoke with the front desk clerk about it and he very graciously (and professionally) called the person staying in the room on their cellphone to ask them to take care of the dog. In five minutes the noise ceased and I never heard the dog again. Great job on the part of the staff, and the dog owner! My only question is why a dog was allowed in a room that was specifically NOT designated for dogs??

Noise- Human: This truly was a mixed bag. I heard NO noise on my Sunday night stay. On a Tuesday night, things were much different. The partyers from the club in the hotel were pretty loud throughout much of the night. The hotel does go out of its way to let guests know that it is a "party hotel". Thus, you really cannot fault folks who party in the club to party a bit more in the hotel corridors and on the streets outside. There are a pair of earplugs in each room. I would have used mine, but I had to catch a cab to get to the airport for an early flight (i.e., 6:00 AM) for my flight home. I was afraid that I would not hear the alarm clock if I put in the earplugs. Thus, I put up with the noise. In retrospect, I probably should have stayed at a hotel near the airport to catch that flight.

Overall, it was a pretty good stay. I would NOT stay again in Room 218 but would go back again in a heartbeat to Room 211. The Hotel Congress makes a great addition to downtown Tucson and any city would be lucky to have a hotel like the Hotel Congress in their downtown!

Room Tip: Pick a Cactus Garden room if you want a real quiet room. Besides being far away from the Hotel'...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank calumet22
JulieHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear calumet22,

Thank you for staying and your review. We are a pet friendly Hotel and allow all sorts of animals. We have 4 rooms that are designated pet friendly, if they are booked or the guest wants a quieter room they can choose to stay in a non-pet friendly room. We charge a larger fee to accomadate the clean-up after the guest leaves. I am happy you reached out to the Front Desk staff to help you with the barking.

If you need anything like reservations for a room that can accomadate an average human send me an e-mail to Julie@hotelcongress.com and I will do my best to take care of you.

See you next time,