“THE CUP CAFE ; )” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Kansas City, Kansas
“THE CUP CAFE ; )”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

My family and I came into town for a concrert across the street fron the Hotel...We drove around town trying to find someething original to Tucson to eat at...We decided to quit driving and eat at the Hotel Congress...Let me say first I thought "What a quaint place~!"...But this place is far above quaint...the place was phenomenol...Our server Harold was awesome~! He was sooooo knowledgable and made our visit soooo much fun...He was sooooo attentive to our every need and want ....and the food~! I never expected the food to be sooo unbelievably good...and lets not forget the decadent home made fresh daily pies...I know this sounds like an advertisement but truley being in the business we were blown away~! My family and I are definitely going to make the drive from Tucson on a regular basis just because we want to try every thing on the menu and every pie...so far I have never had a Lemon Merangue pie that could top this chefs...It was as close to my Moms as it could be...Yummo~! Next time I visit I will be taking 2 whole pies home...This place is a well kept secret but not for long~! Thank you Harold and Thank you staff of the Hotel Congress~! We will be back and we will bring friends~! ; )

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank maguilar0629
JulieHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear maguilar0629,

I am very glad you stumbled upon the Hotel Congress, we get a lot of visitors coming into town to see a show at the Rialto.

I can't wait until the next time you come to see us, I hope you get Harold as your server again, and I know our Pasrty Chef Nikki will make you another amazing dessert.

See you soon,

Hotel Congress

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Just came back from my stay at this hotel and it was fabulous! I requested a "quiet room" and even though there was some noise on Saturday night, it didn't bother me. My room was on the second floor but faced the street. The hotel is in the best location, close to everything. If you have a chance try to catch Tempest Dujour's show...saw it on Saturday night and it was hilarious. Packed with people. Tempest did a version of Password and it was so funny. I think next month, June, the show will feature a take off of Family Feud. Don't miss it..you won't be disappointed! I spent 3 nights here at the hotel and really enjoyed it. I hope to return again. The hotel restaurant is always packed with people and the food was outstanding. I went 3 times! Had the baked eggs for breakfast and "Queer Steer" for lunch. Delicious! You don't really need a car. I took a bus down from Phoenix and saved money. Bus station is right near the hotel and you can go everywhere. Also went to a baseball game and went to The Loft to see a movie. The hotel is also close to some great restaurants and a market, Maynard's. I highly recommend this hotel and plan on returning for another stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a "quiet room". There is a TV in the sitting area along with a computer but no TV...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank laine25Phoenix_AZ
Dear laine25Phoenix_AZ,

We are in the heart of downtown as you got to experience, and luck for us that means we are surrounded by the night life of Tucson and a lot of daytime activities. Tempest DuJour happens to put on a variety hour once a month and I have been able to catch a couple, she is amazing.

I look forward to seeing you again,

Alameda, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

We headed to Tucson for a graduation at the University of Arizona. Wanting to stay close to the campus I chose the Hotel Congress. We were told when we checked in about the noise (that would be music and people having fun), and were given a room on the second floor right over the night club. Now mind you, one of the people sharing the room was my 84 year old mother. We went downstairs to the Cup Café for a bite before the first commencement ceremony and had the BEST pork belly street tacos - they were delicious. Our room was like a step back in time, iron beds, rotary phone, old radio and no t.v. It just oozed charm and was perfect and perfectly comfortable. The bar in the lobby that night was hopping and we sat there and watched the live theater unfolding. When we went up to our room to go to bed, the club beneath us was in full swing and the music pulsated up through the walls. We pulled out the ear plugs the hotel provided, put them in and when we woke up it was morning. I will never stay anywhere else when I go to Tucson, I loved this place that much. If you have never been to Tucson before this is the perfect place to get a little "experience" of the wild west. It has retained its old school charm but has a scene that is current and a ball.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room - that way you will be placed somewhat apart from the nightclub.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bananners
JulieHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear bananners,

We embrace our noise, and the charm of being Historic; our goal is to find guests that understand what we have to offer. If I am not mistaken I think you were also the guests that took the art off of the walls because you were worried with the pulsating walls that they would fall and break. Thank you for staying and I look forward to seeing you again.

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

the hotel congress is totally awesome! we loved it, but it's not for everyone. here's what you need to know.
: the rates are great.
: the biggest bed offered is a double.
: the rooms are tiny.
: the bathrooms are laughable small. envision having your legs under the sink while you pee.
: there's a rotary phone in your room. and a dial radio.
: no clock. no tv. a physical key.
: hotel congress is pet friendly.
: you are staying in a hotel built in 1919 and it has the thin windows and walls to prove it.
: the hotel is situated right by an active train track. chooo! chooo!
: hotel congress is one of tucson's hottest bars, restaurants and music venues meaning it's LOUD but you're literally staying in the heart of the coolest stuff in downtown.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear TravelingTings,

Your review is right on, and is what we are about. We are loud, next to a train and built before installation. With that said we are in the heart of Downtown Tucson and like to share with our guests everything that Tucson has to offer.

Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

I really loved this hotel. I was nervous booking because of the mixed reviews on tripadvisor, but was pleasantly surprised. It is oozing character, has a fabulous restaurant, great bar and hosts fantastic bands regularly. We had Breakfast at the Cup Cafe and also a Bloody Mary from the bar, both were exceptional. Everyone we interfaced with was polite and professional. Its a clean hotel, the bed was comfortable, but yes, it can appear run down--since it is a historic hotel, that is part of the charm in my opinion. It is also loud--because it is one of "the" places to be in downtown Tucson--great mix of not just hotel guests but locals and out of towners as well to see the bands. If you are going to relax and like to go to bed early, don't choose this hotel. If you have kids I wouldn't recommend either (unless they are older and you want them to know what a cool parent you are by finding a place like this)--its perfect for people wanting to explore Tucson, get a feel for the rock n roll cowboy charm of the area. Parking in the deck across the street was easy (front desk validates=free), and for the room price, this hotel is a great deal in a great location to walk everywhere downtown.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear thearttravel2520,

Thank you for staying with us, there is a lot we have to offer and I am glad you did not let the bad reviews scare you away.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

While I didn't stay at this hotel, I enjoyed the bar. Loved one of the signature cocktails, the Ghost Orchid. Great bartender. Enjoyed the $5 apps, nachos and Papa Frites. Great art and atmosphere. Definite return.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Babete
JulieHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Hi Babete,
Thanks so much for the great feedback. We look forward to welcoming you again when you come to Tucson!

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

Knew the hotel was known for noisy so we requested in advance a cactus room (more interior but they only have a few). The noise did not bother us at all in that room. The rooms are really basic (priced accordingly) but sufficient. The staff was really nice and efficient.

The only thing I would say is we stayed in room #205 a cactus room and it was beyond tiny. We could barely move around the bed and the bathroom was borderline dangerously small. We peeked in other rooms around the hotel when they were cleaning them and they were 1.5-2x the size of our room. If you are a single person it would be ok but if you don't like being cramped avoid #205.

Room Tip: Cactus #205 is a closet - ok for a solo traveler.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JulieHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Love2dine054,

We are Historic and when guests ask about our room sizes I tell them that we are "Historically" sized. Some of our rooms are bigger than others but 205 is one of the smallest rooms. We even have one room that can only accomodate a single twin. I am glad that size was the only draw back.

When you come in the future 211 and 221 are our largest Cactus Garden Rooms.