“NOISE POLLUTION”

GreenLeadersGold level
Doylestown
“NOISE POLLUTION”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Good food at the hotel cafe and good service from the hotel cafe and bar staff. That being stated , this historic hotel has an unbearable noise level. Currently at 10 pm a lone player hooked into an amp is playing on the outside patio which is directly beneath my window. I am not enjoying this . The hotel has another music venue in their nightclub which can be heard throughout the entire hotel. I included a photo of a handout that is in the hotel packet. The unbearable noise level is not mentioned on their website.
The noise experienced every evening is a constant mixture of street traffic, live club music, and music piped throughout the hotel.
Charming to visit during the day, good cooking in the CupCafe - but I'll never ever stay here again and feel cheated by the hotel not posting the fact that they are a noisy hotel on their website. I can't wait to go home.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Joan R
DaraHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Joan R.,

Thank you so much for choosing the Hotel Congress and sharing your feedback about your stay. It’s through reviews like yours that we are able to improve to help manage our guests expectations. We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed Cup Café – it’s a local favorite.

We are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay due to the noise level. Hotel Congress is a “rock and roll” hotel – as you mentioned in your review, one of our defining characteristics is the music, whether it be live on the patio or a DJ’d night in the club.

It is stated on the website under “Hotel Policies” that we are a noisy hotel. It reads:

We are an urban, historic hotel. Your room may be affected by plaza, nightclub, or street noise. We do not give discounts or refunds due to noise. Earplugs are available at the front desk. Or, better yet, just join in the fun!

The comfort of our guests is extremely important to us. Had we known of your discontent during your stay, we would have welcomed the opportunity to find you a different room that was more insulated from the noise. We are not always able to accommodate requests to change rooms during busy times, but we will always do what we can to make your stay more comfortable.

We hope that you will give Hotel Congress a chance in the future to meet your expectations.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed January 21, 2013

UNSAFE!

This hotel, while quite proud of itself and its historicity, has little or no concern for its guests. There is but one key for each room. After being served several cocktails in the one of the hotel's bars, my wife took the key into the room and locked the door behind here. When I wasn't able to get in the room, I contacted the hotel staff, I was told that they had no way to enter the room. We called and called but my wife was unresponsive. Because of a medical condition I became very alarmed and concerned for her safety. The staff was unable and unwilling to gain entry to the room. I called 911. a half hour passed. Finally I had to force the door open. My wife was unconscious but stable. I went to the lobby where the staff had stopped the police officer!!

Long story short_ we were evicted from the hotel and charged for damage to the room. Wow! Not sure what there plan is for a fire that might break out or medical emergencies. I would NOT feel safe sleeping there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank gregtooke
DaraHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Greg,

The Hotel Congress is a very special place and your posting was disingenuous and false. This review reflects an isolated incident that resulted in a police report being filed and your removal from our Hotel, while your wife elected to stay. You informed us that you would write a negative review if we did not remove additional charges from your bill for the damages you caused to our historic property.

We take the comfort and safety of our guests very seriously and pride ourselves on customer service.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed January 20, 2013

When checking in, it was explained to me right away that it can be noisy and there were some quirks because the building is so old, so I feel like I was fairly warned. And to be honest, I didn't think the hotel was that noisy given the event and time of week.

The front desk staff need a wake-up call and a lesson on not treating their paying guests like criminals. As the ground level restroom seemed to be perpetually locked, my girlfriend and I decided to go upstairs to our room to use the restroom. As we ascended the stairs, the front desk clerk stopped us and asked us where we thought we were going. I felt she was rude, and conveyed that to her and her manager. The manager was less than sympathetic. While I realize there is a need to protect the property, there's a big difference between "HEY! Where do you think you're going?" versus "Pardone me Sir, are you a guest of the hotel?"

I refuse to be mistreated by people who I give money to, so it'll be a while before I go back.

Room Tip: Beware of Front Desk staff
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Robert S
Dear Robert S,

Thanks so much for staying at the Hotel Congress and sharing your experience. I’m very sorry to hear that you felt mistreated by a front desk clerk. We encourage all of our employees to uphold the highest standards of customer service, and our front desk staff is usually warm, friendly, and helpful. I will share your review with our staff to underscore the importance of being courteous and respectful at all times, even while protecting the property and safety of our guests. We appreciate your choosing Hotel Congress and hope that you’ll stay with us again soon.

Meredith, New Hampshire
Reviewed January 17, 2013

The Congress Hotel is a great place to stop and spend a night or two while exploring Tucson. It's downtown location has just about everything in walking distance and easy access to the highway makes it easy to get in and out of town without any real traffic issues.

This hotel is almost 100 years old so be prepared for close to the original decor of the period. Not much remodeling has been done but the hoteliers have done a great job of keeping it in top condition for guests to experience what it may have been like to travel back in the day.

There are several bars on the property so make sure to ask for a room on the other side of the hotel if you need some peace and quiet. It's on the website and they will tell you when you make your reservation this is not the place for you unless your looking to have a good time. I don't think sound proofing for a night club was at the top of the list when the hotel was built. We did get a room on the other end of the hotel and got a great night sleep.

Supposedly a haunted property but the only noise we heard was a few drunk people out on the street after the bar closed.

Enjoy

Room Tip: Ask for a room farther from the night club if your looking to get a good nights sleep.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Oregon
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed here on a Friday night because of a morning Amtrak departure Sat. The staff and literature warn you about Hotel Congress being a NOISY hotel, they even provide earplugs. We stayed in room 221 and were not bothered by loud music at all. BUT there were loud folks running up and down the halls until 3am. Julie at the hotel check in was very helpful, her enthusiasm was fantastic. We ate at the Cup Cafe located in the Hotel-it was very good.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank AmazingMA
Huffman, Texas
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This place is a run down dump. I'd rather sleep in a cardboard box or a tent. I was attracted to the hotel for it's old-school, historic feel but was sorely disappointed to find it a caricature of what it must have been in its glory days. If you're one of these people who rejects "consumerism" and likes "ironic" sweaters, then this is the place for you. Other reviewers have said that it's not a place for "old people" and maybe they're right, but I'm 27 and I'm saying from the depths of my soul that this place is a dump. You can't take a comfortable shower, you have to elbow your way through a sea of hipster barista looking clowns to get through the lobby, and there is no one to help you lug your bags up two flights of stairs. Also, the Internet does not work. Their wireless access points are cheap sonicwall crap and can't handle the load they're under (which, judging by the looks of this place, can't be terribly high). This isn't an end-user problem, either. I have Windows, Linux, Blackberry, and iOS devices with me and none of them will log in. Finally, don't even think about coming near this place unless you're deaf, and even then the thumping would probably get to you as it shakes the building from the hipster-barista-indie club downstairs where they mix things like Ice Cube beats against the Fontellas vocals (because, you know, it's super ironic to do that at two in the morning). Maybe I'm just not cool enough to understand. In any event, my advice is to stay away. It is a dump.

Now, the good: If you go to the restaurant downstairs and order a dessert, it will exceed your expectations. Also, if you can get past all waxed-moustache, skinny jeans, plaid shirted contingent and order a cocktail at the lobby bar, it will be very well made. I have to give credit where it is due. Thankfully, you can experience both of these things without actually staying at this DUMP.

Room Tip: This is like the movie wargames where the only winning move is not to play. Just don't get a roo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Matthew B
DaraHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Matthew B,

Thank you for your recent trip to Hotel Congress and for posting a review of your experience. It is by receiving feedback like yours that we are able to make improvements and address the concerns of our guests. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the cocktails, and dessert from Cup Cafe; but I am so sorry to hear that overall you had a negative experience at Hotel Congress. We work hard to manage our guests expectations, and in your case, it seems that we may have fallen short. The Hotel Congress is a historic property and we have tried to stay true to the original look and feel by making very few changes. Our bathrooms were installed in 1934 - so they are built according to standards from that time, and sometimes our "historic" plumbing does cause an uncomfortable experience. To that end, we are working on installing tankless water heaters and recirculating water pumps to make sure that our guests can still take a comfortable shower in our period-style bathrooms.

We are troubled to hear that you were experiencing difficulty accessing the Internet - this is not an issue we encounter frequently, and we would have been happy to help you address this issue, as we have 24/7 tech support available to our guests. Also our front desk staff is trained to ask guests if they need help with their luggage - if this was not offered to you, we will address it. We are currently discussing the option to have a dedicated bellhop for this specific concern.

It is well known that we are a "rock n roll" hotel - our downtown location plus the nightclub does, in fact, make for a very noisy experience. Our front desk staff works with our guests to find the quietest room available, when requested. Unfortunately, on certain nights, there is very little that we can do about the noise level in some rooms except to advise our guests that this may be an issue.

We are very proud of Hotel Congress and we hold ourselves to high standards. We do everything we can to provide excellent customer service to each of our guests to ensure a pleasant experience, every time. We hope that in the future you will give Hotel Congress another chance to exceed your expectations.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I am writing this review at 1:30 in the morning from my bed at the Hotel Congress. The night club music is so loud that earplugs are useless against the noise- and this is one of the "quiet" rooms. I chose this hotel due to its proximity to the Amtrak station, but that seems to be the only positive to my stay. The shower vacillates between scalding hot and ice cold, and the lobby is so crammed full of hipster losers trying to impress each other that it is next to impossible to get a piece of luggage from the door to the stairs. I've stayed at a range of hotels over the years, including some real dumps, but this is the first place I've visited where it was impossible to fall asleep. Never again.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank lptigger2
Dear Iptigger2,

Thank you for your stay at Hotel Congress, and review of your visit. We welcome your feedback, as it is important to us that we respond to our guests and improve in the ways that we can.

It has been our goal to preserve the look and feel of our historic property - the rooms have been changed very little from the size and style in which they were built in 1919; with the bathrooms being rebuilt in 1934. Our property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places because of these unique features. That being said, we have been working to provide more modern amenities to make our guests more comfortable. We recently completed the installation of HVAC in all of our guest rooms, and through partnerships with local businesses, we are working to install tankless water heaters as well as recirculating hot water pumps to address our historic plumbing issues.

We are a noisy hotel - our popular nightclub and downtown location make that fact unavoidable. However, our hotel is very clean, and is home to an award-winning restaurant and nationally noted nightclub, and is also a popular location for weddings and events; so we are saddened that your stay left a negative perception.

We hope that in the future you will give Hotel Congress another chance.