“Even one night here will make you feel like you tasted the old times.”

The Historic Hotel Congress
Ranked #57 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 5, 2012

I love this hotel.
Beautifully done, simple, south western history.
The rooms are spare, simple, tranquil and perfect.
No TV.
The lobby, and the beautiful art in the Tap Room bar just show a respect and love of the area's history. Nothing overdone, no fake "howdee's" etc., just a good setting.
The Cup is a great restaurant and the Gunpowder breakfast is amazing.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Saillorboy

Reviewed April 23, 2012

This is a great hotel for diving right into the heart of historic Tucson, catching a show at the Rialto, or simply partying hard. It is a time warp, old school, spartan hotel with great staff at the desk and a busy scene on the ground floor, including a good restaurant and several cool bars. My wife and I had a blast, though getting to sleep before two a.m. on Fri. and Sat. was a challenge, as all rooms are on the second floor and the noise is significant from the first floor. We still loved it.

Room Tip: Room 221 is likely the most quiet, though quite small. Spartan, clean, time warp.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Squawk84
Reviewed March 17, 2012

The claim to fame is this is place where John Dillinger was staying when he was captured. The lobby is reminiscent of times past with old switchboards and phone booths (remember them!!) It's an old lobby of an old hotel. The bar is also old as is the penny covered floor in the Cup Cafe. I collect books of matches from places that I visit and saw the matches in a large glass and I asked for a book to add to my collection at the front desk. Even after explaining that i would be putting them in a picture frame with several other similar books of matches, the folks at the front desk refused to give me one or even sell me one because they would not know how much to charge. We stayed at the La Posada Hotel in Winslow, Arizona and that place was restored with love and thoughtfulness, I expected the same from this property and I was severely disappointed. Was not worth the effort it took to battle the one way streets to get there and then "feed" the parking meter in the front of the building.

Today's claim to fame is Club Congress. Can't comment on this as I know nothing about it. But it seems to be financing the operations of the Hotel. There was a disco type room/dance floor and bar that i saw when I walked around.

We had a piece of their coconut cream pie from the Cup Cafe and it was very good. The hotel is a nice visit if your into nostalgia. They have "Dillinger Days" that we wanted to make room reservations for- for next year and the boy at the desk couldn't tell me the dates and said to call back a month before the days!!??!!

Room Tip: It's an old hotel that prides itself in keeping the ambiance (or is it ambivalence) of the time...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AZWhiteEagle
DaraHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2012

Dear APairaDocs,

Our claim to fame is this is place where John Dillinger's gang was staying in January 1934 when a fire started in the basement. The famous Hotel fire lead to the capture of John Dillinger. The Hotel Congress celebrates the capture of John Dillinger every January on the 3rd Saturday of the month. We would be happy to make a reservation for you so you can experience all that the Hotel Congress has to offer – we have an award winning café, nationally renowned club and a banquet hall which hosts special events. We try to accommodate the request of all of our guests. If you do not remember receiving the match book I would be happy to mail them to you if you email me your address. I am sorry you feel visiting the Hotel Congress was not worth the effort because you had battle the one way streets and “feed" the parking. We validate parking for our Hotel guests in our underground garage directly across the street. Next time you visit give us a call in advance and we would be happy to suggest the best route to the Hotel.

Warm Regards,
Dara
Hotel Congress Manager
Dara@hotelcongress.com

Reviewed March 11, 2012

As others have mentioned, this is a very noisy hotel- though in fairness they are upfront about that on their website. We found it funny they emphasized the "no t.v.s in the rooms to preserve the historic ambiance," but will pump inauthentic dance music through the floors til 11 (and we were staying on the opposite end of the hotel from the nightclub). Also our room had the smallest shower ever- nowhere to run when the water turned scalding or freezing, which it did frequently (I ended up with 3 bruises from hitting the faucets).

All that said, it is a cute hotel with lots of character and there are bunch of places within walking distance to eat. Staff was helpful and friendly, and not a bad rate for Tucson.

Room Tip: The "Cactus Rooms" are supposed to be the quietest.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NYCArchivist
Reviewed March 3, 2012

The Hotel Congress is super cool because of it's historic charm and eclectic mix of people visiting and hanging out around the common areas. You have to appreciate a hotel that's been around since, well, forever.....It's located is great. Walking distance to shops, cafes, restaurants, bars/clubs, etc.

What you MUST know in advance of making your reservation to stay here is that this is a PARTY hotel. I'm sure not so much during the weekdays, but come the weekend, you better be ready for the transformation from quaint historic hotel to a bar/club/live band scene with people everywhere. It's jam packed and people are getting wasted. So, if this isn't your thing, don't stay here. Most important if you aren't here to party on the weekend and don't want to stay up until 3am-4am, you MUST request a room away from the club/bar. Our room was directly above the club and there wasn't a chance we would get to bed until the wee hours of the morning. In defense of the hotel, we were forewarned, unfortunately I was sick and the girls weren't in the mood to go out, so we were stuck dealing with this madness. We were told we should plan to be awake until 2am when the club shut down, but honestly, it doesn't stop there. All the drunks go outside and carry on being loud and obnoxious. The window to the rooms on this side of the hotel hear all of the madness and traffic all night long.

We did try to switch rooms, but they were booked, which we knew would be the case. We sucked it up and were completely exhausted the next day. We ate breakfast at their cafe, which was another mad house of people and a waiting list. We finally found seats at the bar where we could eat. Service=not so hot, Food=not great, Experience=not very good.

Bottom line... If you know what you are getting into by staying at The Hotel Congress, you will have a great time. Do your research. Understand this is a very hold hotel and rooms are small, old school, with few amenities. Great location, Great party scene.

Room Tip: Stay as far away from the rooms above the club/bar. Ask to be put as far away as possible and maybe...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank nkwhitney
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I have been to Hotel Congress several times and Barbara has not only been unfailingly gracious to me ever time I've been in there. On one particular occasion, when she asked me how I liked her Cosmo, I did admit that it was too sweet for my taste. The next drink was PERFECT. We ended up having a great conversation about the differences in various drinks, and I had myself a great time. Even when it's been at its busiest, Barb has gone out of her way, even backed up five deep at the bar, to catch her customers' eyes and make sure they knew she would be with them as soon as humanly possible.

Barb is part of the heart and spirit not only of Hotel Congress, but the whole downtown scene. If she weren't there, it wouldn't be either the same, or as much fun.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rachel G
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I live in Tucson and hadn't visited Congres in several years because of a bad experience I had with a bartender there. However, thru the urging of some friends I decided to give it a go again this past Monday. Barb was my bartender and I have to say the service was extraordinary!! She makes the BEST lemmon drop martinis!! The music was awesome and we all had the best time! My experience this time by far surpassed the bad experience I have had in the past. I will be returning and bringing my friends with me! I hope Barb is working again because I loved the service with a smile!! Thanks again Congress!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends