“Very nice - but you must know what to expect!”

and 1 more site!
The Historic Hotel Congress
Ranked #55 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Very nice - but you must know what to expect!”
Reviewed May 12, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay at the Congress but be aware of what this is and is not. It's a very charming hotel with great decoration and period features, in great location for going out on Congress Street or nearby 4th Avenue (walking distance), the adjacent Rialto or the hotel's own bar and club. It is not a "normal" modern hotel in the sense there is no tv in rooms, not the most quiet of places (nearby Amtrak means no afternoon snooze and the inhouse bar and club are loud unless you also go out), so is not for everyone. Would certainly stay again if visiting Tucson again with friends.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank AV_Londoner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
WNY
Reviewed April 19, 2011

This is a place to stay for those who love historic places and want to be part of what is going on in the area. Every staff member I encounter was very friendly and helpful. A few fun events(poetry contest, chess tournament) were even happening at the hotel while I was there. It is not for someone who wants a quiet room on the weekend because of the nightclub (though earplugs were provided in the room.) I can sleep through that, but I realize it could drive someone else crazy. I personally loved the bed (extra pillow in room so didn't have to ask for one) and it had a real quilt on it. The room phone was an actual old black dial phone. The air in the room worked well. The bathroom was small and the water pressure was not the best, but I got hot water every time. There is no TV in the room, but they did have a TV lounge.
The Cup Cafe located off the lobby has excellent breakfast food.
There is a bar(not the nightclub) located at the back of the lobby which made for a nice spot to wait for friends to arrive.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank remyo
London
Reviewed April 15, 2011

We read the reviews carefully but whichever room you pick (ours was 208) - the Congress is a busy hotel with a lot of live events + people flocking in and out to the bars inside plus the outside patio at the back, so it was v noisy both nights (Fri + Sat) we stayed. It didn't bother us as we expected it - but don't stay here if a quiet night's sleep is vital. Plus did I mention the trains whistling overnight as they pass through town?

Loved the decor, the history, friendly staff and hotel's laidback atmosphere. Tiny (original of course) bathroom was great - mattress a bit soft and saggy for us.
Lovely mojito at bar and Cup delivers a fantastic breakfast. Free parking in the back or across the road in the underground car park.

Congress St is also really great fun. We'd go back anytime.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KEM_London
Marysville, Kansas
Reviewed April 4, 2011

I stayed at Hotel Congress, "HoCo" according to my Tucson friends, while I was in town for a 3 day weekend. HoCo is where I'll be staying from now on too. The rooms were utilitarian but clean, fresh, and well kept. The last time I was in town I stayed at the Hotel Arizona but I won't from now on. I FOUND A ROACH IN MY SHEETS. Worse thing is when I came down to check out the manager, David, said he would charge me anyway. 2 of my friends stayed there anyway and after the first night they checked out. Next time I won't settle.

Room Tip: Tips are always welcome
Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ggtw23
Lone Oak, Texas
Reviewed March 30, 2011

Arriving by train, I recently stayed at the HC for a few days. Sure, it's got a thriving nighttime club clientele and the rooms are old, but hey, this is an historic hotel, in a great part of Tucson. The rooms are spacious enough but my bathroom was one of the smallest I've ever seen. The room is very clean tho and the bed was comfortable. Try to get one of the rooms away from the club area, and the noise is manageable. One of the real nice treats is the great cafe in the Hotel. The food was way above average and had some very original elements. I was impressed with the food and the great service both in the hotel and in the cafe. Great great coffee! Train travellers should be aware that this great place is just across the street from the Amtrak station so it's super convenient for us rail traveler types. The station is nice and bright too. If just for a day or two, stay at the HC; you'll never forget it!

Room Tip: Away from the club; rooms on the west side.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Zylon R
Tempe, AZ
Reviewed February 14, 2011

The hotel is in the center of night life in Downtown Tucson but the room was quiet enough for sound sleep. The room was charming and the lobby is full of character. Why stay anywhere else???

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Uchu-jin
DaraHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this review, February 18, 2011
Thank you so much for your patronage at the Hotel Congress. We are so delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the establishment as a whole. We look forward to your return!
San Francisco
Reviewed February 13, 2011

The Congress has been our home away from home during the Gem Show for about the last 20 years, but it may be time to move on. While generally the desk staff has been as helpful as ever, evening experiences with extremely RUDE staff in the lobby (who were very harsh to our guests who just wanted to get a drink with us in the bar but were accosted by said staff for a cover (we weren't in or going into the club) sat badly. The overall tone has changed in favor of a much much younger club crowd as well, so the place is noisier than ever (although our room, one of the quietest, was fine). So if you're a 20-something, you may have a great time staying at the Congress. If you are much older and it's a busy club night, you may not.

Note to hotel: you need new mattresses badly. They are sagging horribly. Congratulations on the plentiful parking now though.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank P-Gal
I’d like to thank you sincerely for bringing your experience to my attention. I will address the issue of guests visiting our Hotel Congress patrons as well as the unacceptable behavior of our night security staff with not only the entirety of the night staff, but also with the managers and all employees. We recognize that this has been an issue in the past and we are working to ameliorate the problem.

Certain nights draw a younger crowd, but we are a highly-esteemed club because of the variety of shows and nights that we host for the Tucson community. For over 25 years we have hosted live music, poetry readings, storytelling, and other such events and the age range of the crowd depends on the artists. Clearly, you experienced the club on a night when the performance drew a younger crowd. The Hotel Congress is an urban hotel and as an urban hotel we can become noisy and we are constantly finding ways to resolve the problem.

We have recently replaced 90% of the mattresses in the hotel rooms, so your review brings to our attention that the other 10% need to be addressed as well. I am curious to know what room you stayed in, so that I can handle this issue immediately.

It saddens us to read that you are thinking of moving on from the Hotel Congress and we truly take your thoughts into consideration in order to improve our service and accommodate all of our guests’ needs. We hope you return for next year’s Gem Show and every year from that point forward. If you have any further questions or concerns, please email me at Dara@HotelCongress.com. I want to make sure that your next stay with us exceeds your expectations.