“Good place to stay”

Best Western Royal Sun Inn & Suites
Ranked #16 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed here while attending a 2-day course at the university. I didn't want to stay at the hotel on campus due to the price but this one was nearby and very reasonably priced. The place looks fairly new and everything is in good condition. The AC keeps the room at a decent temperature as long as you turn the fan from "on" to "auto". Included with the room is a free breakfast at the restaurant across the driveway. It's nothing fancy but is a warm, freshly cooked meal of either eggs, pancakes, waffles, or some combination thereof. The restaurant also has a lounge which I didn't go to and never heard a noise from.

The only downsides (although my rating of 5 shows how minor I found them):
- The rooms are very dark. The only large window is out onto the outside patio/walkway and is under an overhang, so not much light gets in. Also, because it leads out into the walkway I wanted to keep the curtains closed
- It is a little bit loud, with the occasional noise from the road and a nearby train. I would say though that the road noise is similar to most other restaurants and the train is fairly infrequent.
- If going to the university, it is a bit of a walk, about 20 minutes until you reach the edge of campus (I'm not a slow walker)
- I didn't explored too much but it didn't look like there is much in the way of food around the hotel except for their own restaurant, certainly not any of the major chains.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
AZbwroyalsun, General Manager at Best Western Royal Sun Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. We are happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

If you like sleeping on a granite slab this is your place. To their credit t was a clean facility. There is a lot of noise at this property with trains, police, and traffic which is why they provide you earplugs.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank pdbrown4

Thank you for taking time to submit this review regarding your stay at our property. I apologize for not exceeding your expectations.

I am shocked to hear that our bed did not meet/exceed your expectations as they are less than a year old & we receive a lot of compliments on them. We purchased Sealy PosturePedic Pillow Top beds as they are one of best beds available in the market.

Once again, I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused. Thank you for the business & we hope you will give us another opportunity serve you in future . . .

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Went to Tucson for a quick get-away. We were looking for a place that was close to the nightlife and the University, and this place ticked both the boxes! The rooms are very spacious and comfortable, clean, and the beds are very comfy.
Upon check in, we were greeted VERY warmly by the two clerks on duty. We were late arrivals, so from past experiences in our travel we didn't really expect too much on the friendly side. BUT we were greeted with big smiles and lots of helpful advice, ranging from the best taxi companies to walking distances and routes. Also, we were each given two vouchers for free drinks in the bar. Nice! (But avoid karaoke night...yikes)
The attached restaurant is where morning breakfasts are served. It is pretty chaotic if you go towards the end of the time frame allotted. The servers do their best with grouchy travellers, but the food is good.
The location is great. Its a 15 minute walk to the nightlife district, and a 5 minute drive to the University.

Room Tip: Get a room by the pool.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nemoandchina

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I had read some mixed reviews about this hotel prior to booking, but it was close to the U Of A and I was visiting my daughter there. When I arrived, the front desk clerk treated me so well. Very friendly, efficient and helpful about some of the questions I had about the area...she even gave me maps and restaurant suggestions, including the one on the premesis. I got a drink coupon for the bar - 2 for 1 which I used. They actually had a couple nice wines and enjoyed a few glasses. The bar is casual and comfortable. It felt more like a neighborhood bar and had local regulars there that were also quite friendly. They even had Karaoke later that night with some great local singers. The food was also unexpectedly great. I had a French Dip that was just piled high with perfectly medium rare roast beef, that clearly was roasted in-house. Homemade Strawberry watermelon pie too!
My room was clean and I was told had brand new furninshings. Great walk-in shower and the bed was perfectly comfortable.
There was a very nice pool area and a fitness area. The neighborhood isn't the best, but not so bad that I felt my safety was in question. It's close to downtown and the college. It's a "city" atmosphere but by no means dangerous. There's even a park across the street that I'm told has pick-up volleyball games most evenings.
I usually don't write reviews, but I had read such mixed reviews on this place...I felt I had to contribute. I know in any business, there is no pleasing everyone, but I really thought this hotel was well worth the stay and had some of the friendliest staff ever. I will be returning for probably the next 4 years.

Room Tip: The 1st floor near the pool was rather nice.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CollegeMom1025

I will be sure to share your comments with our staff as it will be very gratifying to them. We look forward to seeing you for next 4 years & hope that you will feel at home when staying with us.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

stay here regularly on business; convenient to downtown and well-located. rooms are clean and quiet, everything is as it should be and the customer care is significantly above standard for a hotel of this price.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

We truly appreciate the business you have given us over the months & your loyalty to our hotel. Our guests really love our convenient location that is close to U of A, downtown, Tucson Convention Center, Hospitals, Tucson malls, golf courses & easy access to & from freeways I-10 & I-19.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

I stayed here one night with a friend and my two cats. On the plus side, the beds are the most comfortable hotel/motel bed I have slept in in years. The room was clean. Upon check-in we got two for one drink tickets (which we didn't use) for the restaurant/bar across the driveway. I'm assuming the owners of the motel also own the restaurant/bar. We also received two free breakfast tickets. Breakfast was really great, and you can order off the menu.

On the negative side, we had a lot of luggage plus a cat in each carrier. Unfortunately, the room they gave us was upstairs and all the way in the corner. We had to make lots of trips up and down stairs when we got there as well as when we left. So if you have a pet, I recommend you get a downstairs room close to the parking lot.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Our guests really love our cooked to order breakfast that is served at the restaurant. Since we upgraded to the current breakfast offerings, it has been very successful. I am also excited to inform you that we have a new dinner menu in the works & we are looking forward to same success as our breakfast.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

This Best Western is located at a busy intersection. My room was relatively quiet, but at times one could hear traffic noise (and train whistles). The property itself is quite beautiful and my room was nicely furnished. The room "looked" clean, but upon closer inspection it turned out not to be all that clean. For instance, the ledges on the large piece of furniture that housed the TV and some drawers were filthy and appeared not to have been dusted for a long time. The temperature in the room could supposedly be regulated by setting a desired temperature and pushing a certain button. This "method" did not work. I could only regulate the temperature by turning on the cool air manually (or by opening the door, if the room was frigid--as it was when I checked in). All rooms are non-smoking and the Inn prides itself on being environmentally friendly, but there are cigarette butts all over the place and it was rare to see a staff member who wasn't smoking. Room entrances are divided by a panel and at each entrance there is a pleasant seating area with a table and chairs. But if you happen to have a room next to smokers, beware. I apparently had chain smokers next to me (there were dozens of butts in their ashtray), and although they couldn't smoke in their room, there was no rule against smoking in their "patio" area. The panel didn't keep the smoke away from my side. Fortunately, I was able to have my room changed and my second room didn't have neighbors who smoked. The only station I ever watch on a motel TV is TWC (The Weather Channel). I don't think I've ever stayed in a cheap Super 8 or Days Inn that didn't carry The Weather Channel. Well, this supposedly "upscale" Best Western does NOT carry TWC. :( One other criticism: The water temperature in my room never exceeded the luke-warm point. This was fine for showering but bad for shaving. Now some positive things: The walk-in shower was very nice. The staff was pleasant (and helpful when I complained about the smokers next door). The breakfast-to-order in the adjacent restaurant was fine (very nice server). The pool and spa were better than one finds in most motels. And, taking everything into consideration, I might stay here again the next time I'm in Tucson despite all my complaints.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

I will be sure to speak to our maintenance & housekeeping staff to address the issues you have mentioned. Our goal is to offer clean & comfortable rooms along with superior guest service to all our guest, every time! I will be sure to share your comments with our staff, I know they will be very happy hear your kind words.

Once again, thank your for your comments & kind words & we hope to see you again soon.