“Two nights: New Year's”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Regina, Canada
“Two nights: New Year's”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

My expectations were a little bit higher than what I ended up getting from this Best Western. They really push their "upgrades" and talk it up much more than it really is. Perhaps, if the hotel was in a pathetic position prior, then maybe I could side somewhat with their enthusiasm.
The "new" beds aren't exactly as great as they contend. They are a very cheap "pillow top" at best, as they are hard, uncomfortable and springs can even somewhat be felt underneath, while sleeping.
The noise level from other rooms is quite high. It is comparable to the neighboring guests being in your room. The slightest talking or moderate level of the television will be audible. (Never mind the New Year's Eve raucous, we had to endure from the drunkards next to us).

There are numerous trains that wail through the area quite close, blowing their horns all throughout the day and evening. You will find them even more noticeable than the sounds from your neighbors. So, if you like trains and their whistles, this is the place for you!

We were in a suite. Everything is separated quite well. The jacuzzi was adequate and functioned well. The shower is with it (not separated from). There was a big huge honking shower sprayer, which was good thing, as the water pressure goes down dramatically at peak usage times. It isn't anything great to begin with but, gets the job done.

If you have an ipod or mp3, the clock radio has a cord you can use to connect with. (Yay)...if you like listening to your tunes through an $8 clock radio.

The pool area is quite nice and the hot tub is good, as well. They could become quite crowded on a good day, however.

The restaurant is quite good as well, for breakfast. You get to choose from a menu and it is included with your stay. Not the usual grab from an assortment of items that one would usually come across in a Best Western.

The staff was great and are extremely helpful. I am sure if any problems really bother someone to the extreme, they will be more than eager to help make your stay a pleasant one.

In hindsight, I suppose, the trick would be to not be overcome by the talk of all the upgrades (unless you've visited prior to them and find them amazing, as the management obviously does). It is a decent place to stay and has quite a bit to offer over the average middle of the road motel room. Just don't go into it with any flamboyant expectations and you'll be all right.

Room Tip: The rooms are kind of separated into areas of the grounds. There is a group of them near the office...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
AZbwroyalsun, General Manager at Best Western Royal Sun Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 10, 2012

I do want to apologize that our new Sealy Posturepedic beds are not to your comfort but. I am happy to hear that you did have a good stay with us. I truly appreciate your kind words complimenting out staff & our accommodations.

We thank you for the business & hope to see you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Czech first
Tehachapi, California
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We had a family emergency. We were unable to kennel our dog. When I called and explained our situation we were treated with compassion and kindess. Our room was large, clean and well appointed. We were there five nights while a family member was hospitalized, and we were very comfortable.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the office are quieter as are second floor rooms. The pool area is lovely, with a l...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience at our hotel during your recent stay. We are happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

It was our pleasure to help you with your family emergency. Our staff is always ready to go above & beyond their responsibilities to make our guests' stay more enjoyable & memorable.

I will share your comments with my team as it will be very gratifying for them to hear your compliments & kind words.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Well located in downtown Tucson. Very clean,large room,very quiet,good breakfast,super staff. I definitely recommend this hotel for a golf vacation in Tucson. Not more than 1/2 hour drive from every golf courses.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

We are thrilled to hear that you liked & enjoyed our recent upgrades as well as our newly upgraded made to order breakfast.

Travis AFB Californai
Reviewed December 15, 2011

This hotel was one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. I am thankful that they accepted pets. That is the reason I decided to reserve a room there because I was driving cross country from California to Florida with my Jack Russell Terrier. Upon check in I asked the person behind the desk where the best place to take her to go to the bathroom was and she pointed behind the buildings. Ladies beware… The area is not well lit and there is broken glass from beer bottles all over the ground along with fecal remains from several animals. When I made the reservation they also did not inform me of the very loud train that passes near the hotel at several different times throughout the night. Don’t even get me started on the rooms or the price for that matter. The television did not work properly and the bathroom was so small and the toilet seat was plastic. I actually thought it was going to break in use. I would have been better off sleeping in my car at a rest area than staying at this place. I would not have paid $1.00 to stay the night at this place and I got taken for $100.00

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Traci W
AZbwroyalsun, General Manager at Best Western Royal Sun Inn & Suites, responded to this review, December 19, 2011
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

My team & I work very hard to provide clean & comfortable rooms along with superior customer service. We have recently completed some upgrades such as new Posturepedic beds & new bedding package, 32 inch LCD TVs with DVD players, new water efficient Oxygenic rain shower heads as well as many exterior upgrades. I am very sorry that you did not have a satisfying stay with us.

I assure you that I will speak to my team & we will work on improving on the areas you have mentioned. I do want to thank you for letting us know of the issues, so that we can work on improving & avoid them from happening for our future guests.

I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in future.
Longview, Washington
Reviewed December 12, 2011

The staff at the Royal Sun were all very helpful and friendly. The rooms were relatively large and kept very clean. If we get an opportunity to visit Tucson again we will stay at the Royal Sun if there is room.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience at our hotel during your recent stay. We are happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. We are thrilled to hear that you liked & enjoyed our recent upgrades.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed December 5, 2011

I got a suite for 4 nights. The first night the heat didn't come on. I informed the staff on the following morning and went out to visit my family very tired as I had not slept. When I arrived that night, I assumed the heating was fixed since I had not been notified otherwise. I was exhausted and turned on the heat and got in bed. Two hours later I was still awake and the fan was blowing but no heat. I stayed in bed hopeful, but too tired to complain. Two nights without sleeping I notified the front desk again in the morning. They sent a portable heater on the 3rd morning and said were going to fix it. I arrived the 3rd night and this time waited to see if the heat would work before getting on the bed, even though I was all baggy eyed by now. It didn't. Really again.. and no one was going to contact me. I demanded to be moved to another room. I wasn't going to have a 3rd night without sleep as I was now sick besides sleepy. Yes... I had a warm forth night and was running a fever. Great way to fly back home without saying bye to anyone. The Best Western Staff is the worst !!!

Room Tip: make sure the heater or ac (depending on the season) works before you are in bed. Demand another roo...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Michael1601
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

I deeply apologize for the inconveniences caused due to malfunctioning of the heating system. I can understand your frustration. I am happy to report that, since your stay we had an outside company service all of the heating unites to ensure proper operation.

I hope you will give u another opportunity to serve you.
Palm Coast, Florida
Reviewed November 22, 2011

We stayed at a few Best Westerns thoughout our Arizona trip and this BW in Tucson was a good choice. Service was excellent, everyone very friendly and helpful. They have great direction cards to many different locations....close by is Old Tucson, Arizona-Sonora Museum, Pima Air Museum and the Univ of Arizona. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Also enjoyed the pool and jacuzzi....At check-in we received 2-1 vouchers for drinks in the lounge and also enjoyed a great breakfast (made to order) in the restaurant on the property. Fast and friendly service in the morning with a good selection of food. Would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple