“Christmas stay at Best Western Plus Royal Sun”

Best Western Royal Sun Inn & Suites
Ranked #16 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We had a family emergency. We were unable to kennel our dog. When I called and explained our situation we were treated with compassion and kindess. Our room was large, clean and well appointed. We were there five nights while a family member was hospitalized, and we were very comfortable.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the office are quieter as are second floor rooms. The pool area is lovely, with a l...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
AZbwroyalsun, General Manager at Best Western Royal Sun Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2012

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience at our hotel during your recent stay. We are happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

It was our pleasure to help you with your family emergency. Our staff is always ready to go above & beyond their responsibilities to make our guests' stay more enjoyable & memorable.

I will share your comments with my team as it will be very gratifying for them to hear your compliments & kind words.

Reviewed December 27, 2011

Well located in downtown Tucson. Very clean,large room,very quiet,good breakfast,super staff. I definitely recommend this hotel for a golf vacation in Tucson. Not more than 1/2 hour drive from every golf courses.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo

We are thrilled to hear that you liked & enjoyed our recent upgrades as well as our newly upgraded made to order breakfast.

Reviewed December 15, 2011

This hotel was one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. I am thankful that they accepted pets. That is the reason I decided to reserve a room there because I was driving cross country from California to Florida with my Jack Russell Terrier. Upon check in I asked the person behind the desk where the best place to take her to go to the bathroom was and she pointed behind the buildings. Ladies beware… The area is not well lit and there is broken glass from beer bottles all over the ground along with fecal remains from several animals. When I made the reservation they also did not inform me of the very loud train that passes near the hotel at several different times throughout the night. Don’t even get me started on the rooms or the price for that matter. The television did not work properly and the bathroom was so small and the toilet seat was plastic. I actually thought it was going to break in use. I would have been better off sleeping in my car at a rest area than staying at this place. I would not have paid $1.00 to stay the night at this place and I got taken for $100.00

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Traci W
AZbwroyalsun, General Manager at Best Western Royal Sun Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2011

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

My team & I work very hard to provide clean & comfortable rooms along with superior customer service. We have recently completed some upgrades such as new Posturepedic beds & new bedding package, 32 inch LCD TVs with DVD players, new water efficient Oxygenic rain shower heads as well as many exterior upgrades. I am very sorry that you did not have a satisfying stay with us.

I assure you that I will speak to my team & we will work on improving on the areas you have mentioned. I do want to thank you for letting us know of the issues, so that we can work on improving & avoid them from happening for our future guests.

I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in future.

Reviewed December 12, 2011

The staff at the Royal Sun were all very helpful and friendly. The rooms were relatively large and kept very clean. If we get an opportunity to visit Tucson again we will stay at the Royal Sun if there is room.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience at our hotel during your recent stay. We are happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. We are thrilled to hear that you liked & enjoyed our recent upgrades.

Reviewed December 5, 2011

I got a suite for 4 nights. The first night the heat didn't come on. I informed the staff on the following morning and went out to visit my family very tired as I had not slept. When I arrived that night, I assumed the heating was fixed since I had not been notified otherwise. I was exhausted and turned on the heat and got in bed. Two hours later I was still awake and the fan was blowing but no heat. I stayed in bed hopeful, but too tired to complain. Two nights without sleeping I notified the front desk again in the morning. They sent a portable heater on the 3rd morning and said were going to fix it. I arrived the 3rd night and this time waited to see if the heat would work before getting on the bed, even though I was all baggy eyed by now. It didn't. Really again.. and no one was going to contact me. I demanded to be moved to another room. I wasn't going to have a 3rd night without sleep as I was now sick besides sleepy. Yes... I had a warm forth night and was running a fever. Great way to fly back home without saying bye to anyone. The Best Western Staff is the worst !!!

Room Tip: make sure the heater or ac (depending on the season) works before you are in bed. Demand another roo...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Michael1601

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

I deeply apologize for the inconveniences caused due to malfunctioning of the heating system. I can understand your frustration. I am happy to report that, since your stay we had an outside company service all of the heating unites to ensure proper operation.

I hope you will give u another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed November 22, 2011

We stayed at a few Best Westerns thoughout our Arizona trip and this BW in Tucson was a good choice. Service was excellent, everyone very friendly and helpful. They have great direction cards to many different locations....close by is Old Tucson, Arizona-Sonora Museum, Pima Air Museum and the Univ of Arizona. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Also enjoyed the pool and jacuzzi....At check-in we received 2-1 vouchers for drinks in the lounge and also enjoyed a great breakfast (made to order) in the restaurant on the property. Fast and friendly service in the morning with a good selection of food. Would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 22, 2011

Stayed here one night, Nov. 16th. I selected this hotel based on other reviews, but none of them mentioned the train that continuously passes through all night long and prevents anyone with the ability to hear from getting any sleep. It literally came by every hour, and sounded like it was right there in the parking lot. I couldn't sleep, even with earplugs. DO NOT stay here if you are a light sleeper!

Supposedly a no-smoking place, which was another reason we chose to stay here, yet all over the hotel grounds people were smoking, including right outside our room. As another reviewer mentioned, the room was warm and stuffy, and we couldn't open the windows to ventilate the room because of the ridiculously loud train noise. We were also told there was no A/C available because it was turned off for the season. I have never heard of such a thing, especially in the AZ DESERT.

Our room faced the pool, and what looked like a nice spa, but everything was locked up early and we didn't get to enjoy it. The excessively bright lights that surrounded the pool stayed on all night, they were like spotlights, so bright the light came in around the blackout curtain in the room. Not sure why they feel they need to illuminate the place like a prison at night?

There were a total of 2 towels and 1 washcloth in our room, and when I asked for more linens, a girl came to our room with 1 EXTRA WASHCLOTH. My husband had to go to the front desk in the morning to get more towels. I have stayed in many hotels and never experienced this before. The free breakfast the next morning looked great, until I saw the HAIR on top of my eggs. Can't say I was really surprised at that point.

The worst thing about this whole experience was I booked the room online, and was required to give 2 email addresses. Immediately, my husband and I began to receive numerous spam emails, which continues to be a problem. I believe they sold our info. and now we are flooded with spam to our personal email accounts. BEWARE. Thanks Best Western.

The only positive thing was the room, nice and looked remodeled, everything was very clean. But for the money I'm sure there are better places to stay in Tucson.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank AZ_RN_2011
AZbwroyalsun, General Manager at Best Western Royal Sun Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2011

I am very sorry to hear about the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. I deeply apologize to you for not exceeding your expectations.

I assure you that I will speak to maintenance & restaurant staff to address the issues you have mentioned and we will work on improving in those areas.

Once again, we are sorry for the inconveniences. I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you.