“The "Bestest" Best Western”

BEST WESTERN Royal Sun Inn & Suites
Ranked #17 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersSilver level
Phoenix, Arizona
“The "Bestest" Best Western”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2011

I have been staying at the Best Western Royal Sun on business travel for several years now. I switched from Farfield Inn, by Marriott properties. One might be concerned about quality in changing from Marriott properties to Best Western. However, I have never been disappointed. Although this is an older property it is maintained as though it is new. The entire team from the General Manager down to the grounds keeper all take great pride in the facility and pay GREAT attention to guest satisfaction. Speaking of the staff. Over several years I have seen no turn over in staff. That speaks volumes for the leadership at this great hotel. (If you are a frequent traveler you already know staff turnover is often high in the lodging industry.)

Best Western Royal Sun has a very clean pool and spa area. They also provide a workout area and vending area. They have several "mini-suites" and "full-suites." The full suites have a front room with a hide a bed couch, chair, coffee table, entertainment center with flat screen TV and a phone. The back room has either two queens or one king bed and a work desk area with speaker phone and wired or wireless internet along with another flat screen TV. All areas of the property are covered by the wireless connection including the pool and spa area. This property has an on site retaurant with a cantina. The breakfast is a choice of five different breakfasts off the menu. Not old, cold, stale rolls and bad fruit. What a refreshing change...at no additional cost.

All rooms also have a hair dryer, Mini-Fridge, and a lit make up mirror. Additionally, many of the rooms connect if you have a large group. I find it an additional value that not only can you get two rooms that connect but several in a row. This allows for movement between several rooms for a large group without having to go outside.

The houskeeping staff is provided a list of inbound guests daily. They always turn the air down in the rooms and have them very cool for your arrival. A great service for sunny, hot Arizona. If you are a Best Western Rewards member there is always an additional treat in the room based on your award level.

The ONLY drawback I see is no microwave in the rooms. However, there is one in the lobby along with a computer and printer for guest use. The lack of the microwave is easily overcome by all the other outstanding features.

Thank you for the great rooms.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank EdwardClouse
AZbwroyalsun, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Royal Sun Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 20, 2011
Thank you for taking time to submit this review regarding your recent stay at our property. My team & I are happy to hear that you had a great stay with us.

We truly appreciate the business & we are thrilled to know that you love to stay with us every time you are in Tucson. Positive comments from our guests is what drives us to consistently do better in providing clean & comfortable rooms along with superior customer service.

We appreciate your comments very much & thank you for the business. We hope to see you soon.
Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Czech first
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

Had made this reservation weeks in advance and at last minute had to change occupancy and room type due to a family emergency. I am so thankful that Angela was working the front desk that night. She is for sure a definition of the Best Western Brand! She was able to get the rooms switched and check-in was a breeze (she even provided us with directions to our destination!).
The breakfast at the hotel also exceeded my expectations as I thought it would be all cold items (continental breakfast), but it was a Full HOT cook-to-order breakfast with some good choices and of course, best of all, it was complimentary! You are limited to some choices but they are filling.
Our room was surprisingly very clean and updated.. From the pictures that I had seen online, I expected what I saw and once again was surprised. They have updated their furnishings, have flat screen TVs and DVD players in the room with upgraded amenities.
I had also read that the area at night was kinda sketchy, but I did not notice anything bad or unsafe both nights that we stayed there and we got in late one night and ventured out another. Won't say its in the best part of town, but for sure not the worst.
I would recommend this hotel and would for sure stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank BudgetTraveler81
AZbwroyalsun, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Royal Sun Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 14, 2011

I will let Angela know of your compliments & kind words. Positive comments from our guests is what drives us to consistently do better in providing clean & comfortable rooms along with superior customer service.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

At the end of May, I brought a group of 12 biology students to Tucson for my annual course "Dyanmics of the Sonoran Desert Ecosystem." We stayed at the Royal Sun and couldn't have asked for a more perfect location (both to the Sonoran Desert and to downtown Tucson). The staff was extraordinarily helpful and made our stay there a genuine pleasure. Rooms were immaculate, the pool sparkling clean, breakfast was delicious, and the tavern gave us some time to unwind after a long day in the field.

Kudos to Neil Shah and his staff for making our field experience a treat. I intend to bring another group down next year and, of course, we'll stay at the Royal Sun!

Dr. Gregory McArthur
Professor of Biology
Metropolitan State College of Denver

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

It was our pleasure to host you group. Positive comments from our guests is what drives us to consistently do better in providing clean & comfortable rooms along with superior customer service.

We appreciate your comments very much & thank you for the business. We will see you next year.
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

I get sick of "hiltons".. Being able to relax in clean enviro, OK food is lame but suits me..Can't go wong here. If u expect more then u've lost it. There is a basic gym, free brekky, a pool, a balcony ( food.. yeah ok not great) but u eat and there is a bar and a great atmosphere. Tuscon is is not an out there place and if u are here it's not for fun , right!. Some good thigs to see locally if u try.. I'd stay here again... Trains are noisy,, http://www.bwroyalsun.com/

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2011

Front desk staff & manager give top rate personalized service! Restaurant staff very friendly too.
Great value

• Stayed June 2011

Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2011

Our room was spacious, very clean, very well furnished, and had a very comfortable bed. The room was very quiet and the 'black-out' curtains are definitely needed in Tucson where the sun rises very early. Usually motel rooms can be quite noisey but these rooms seem to be very well constructed. The wireless internet access was also excellent..
We chose this hotel for it's convenient location within a mile of the University of Arizona campus and also for its very reasonable rates. The complimentary full breakfast is definitely a great idea for travelers.
From the street, this hotel looks very nice and when you enter the enclosed courtyard, you quickly realize that you are in a very secluded protected area surrounded by spacious desert and tropical plants with water features. The swimming pool and exercise room also complete this pleasant hotel.
The front desk staff and others that we met on the premises were very cheerful and were quite happy we were staying with them.
We definitely will stay here again as it seems like our home away from home now...

Room Tip: Pool rooms might be quieter than parking lot rooms
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

I am pleased to inform you that we are already looking into updating our black outs & sheers to make them more modern & exceed our guest's expectations. Positive comments from our guests is what drives us to consistently do better in providing clean & comfortable rooms along with superior customer service.

Southbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2011

My wife, nephew, and I extended our 3 day stay to 7 because we found it to be a convenient base for touring Tucson, visiting friends, and hiking in the mountains. The suite was roomy and clean. Staff was helpful and friendly. Good breakfast too. No complaints.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family