“Elegance and Class At Its Best”
Review of Arizona Inn

Arizona Inn
Ranked #4 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Denver, Colorado
“Elegance and Class At Its Best”
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Absolutely nothing beats a relaxing trip to the Arizona Inn. I have been to this resort five different times and each time was a delight. This is a resort for those who appreciate unique archictecture/furnishings, discrete elegance, and history. The Arizona Inn is a place for the senses with the subtle songs of chirping birds in the background, scents of the Inn's meticulous gardens wafting through the air, and splashes of bright blues, pinks, and yellows throughout the grounds. While this is an upscale resort, there is nothing stuffy about it. Each time I have come with my family and have found plenty to do between the clay tennis courts, croquet, pool, ice cream hour, and other Tucson attractions. I highly recommend this as a place to go to spend time with those you love and enjoy the elegant beauty around you.

1 Thank ecl28

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 6, 2011

I hope that Heaven is as beautiful as the Arizona Inn! The Arizona Inn has become my favorite vacation spot in the US! There is nothing better than waking up in the morning and playing tennis on the clay courts, eating breakfast poolside and playing croquet among the perfectly manicured gardens. The Arizona Inn has everything that I could ask for, the staff is polite and efficient, the cocktails and food are a perfect 10 and the scenery is stunning!

1 Thank Annie80209
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed June 2, 2011

Very quaint and good food, but beds are very outdated. Stayed in the suite and really expected the bed not to be twenty years old. The sofa bed too needs to be updated-it was an old style-need two people to pull it out with the bar in the middle type. Very uncomfortable. Really such a shame, because the property is lovely and quiet.

2 Thank Ironcore
St Paul MN
Reviewed May 23, 2011

I recently stayed here for two nights for business. The Inn is in the middle of a residential neighborhood but only three blocks from one of the main roads in Tucson. Great location but what was the best is the charm of the hotel. One can easily imagine the guests that have stayed here since it was built in 1933 and the owners have maintained the eras of the 1940s and 50s but with everything you expect from a luxury hotel in 2011. The grounds are beautiful with cactus gardens throughout. Wonderful outdoor dining and the main dining room has a reasonably priced menu of first class cuisine. The only complaint I have is their wireless internet is verrrry slow so don't stay here if you need to be on your computer a lot. If you want a place to relax and be pampered by very friendly staff, then do stay here. I know I will again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank MKKStPaulMN
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 17, 2011

We traveled to Tuscon for a spring break college softball tournament. Our daughter's team was a participant. As it was a week long visit we decided to stay at a higher end hotel to treat ourselves and have a place for our daughter to have a break when the team schedule allowed.

The Arizona Inn has beautiful well maintained public areas. The pool was a delightful oasis, the reading room with a fire and hot coffee in the morning was most pleasant, and the piano player in the bar at night was entertaining without overwhelming conversation. The New York Times each morning on the doorstep and free wifi were definite pluses. The southwestern architecture and casita style buildings are unique and attractive. Many reviews refer to the dated look of the rooms which is accurate, however the beds are comfortable and the rooms clean.

It is important to note that the room accommodations vary greatly. We booked a deluxe suite ($575+ per night) based on the hotel website information and photos. We wanted the separate sitting room, refrigerator, and outdoor patio. The location of our first suite was separated from the majority of the resort and did not feel a part of the main property (room 178). The area was not as well maintained (walking paths were not clean, no flower beds, our patio was not swept, making it uninviting.) The suite had a full kitchen (not 5 star by a long shot) and a very small sitting room; we realized it was a wheelchair accessible accommodation which was not something we required, and was a less optimal floor plan for us. Our most direct access to the pool was through the back entrance of the resort (past the laundry, employee entrance, maintenance sheds). We asked to change rooms after our first night, and unfortunately they were able to accommodate a change only for our last two nights. We said yes!

So glad we did. The move was to suite 121, a 100% improvement. Although it was just for the last two nights of our stay I can say the visit ended on a high note. On our last day I spoke with the general manager of our dissatisfaction with the original room assignment especially in comparison to a similarly priced suite on the same property. In his opinion some people preferred 178 because it was more private. However, after our conversation he emailed and offered us a generous room rate reduction for the four nights in the original suite due to our dissatisfaction.

This is an historic resort with a lot of repeat visitors that ask for exactly the room/suite they want to book well in advance. The rooms/suites vary a great deal. If you are a first time guest this may be a disadvantage so it is worth your while to contact the Inn by phone and talk through your reservation request directly.

I would book here again but would ask in advance for the room and location of my choosing.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mikecele
Sacramento, California
Reviewed March 11, 2011

Loved staying at this historic Inn. It's a little oasis in the middle of Tucson. Perfect central location for all the other places we visited while in Tucson. Highlights were the service, relaxed sense of old-style luxury but with modern amenities, and privacy.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank WestCoastTrvlr
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 5, 2011

It was 20 Degrees F. outside, freezing and unusual weather, the coldest in a 100 yrs. I had booked a deluxe room at $475 a night, so I expected it to be comfortable. I have visited many times, but the weather had always been warmer. The room was cold, housekeeping hadn't adjusted the thermostat from 70.D to 73, so I was freezing in the room for 1 hr while it warmed up. In bed they hadn't made the bed up and had the same summer light duvet. They told me there was an extra blanket in the closet but at nearly $500 per night I do not expect to make the bed or have a makeshift arrangement of a blanket on top of the bed. They need to adjust seasonally and not be so lazy or so cheap to have only 1 year round set up ! I was told it had been even colder before I arrived, so the room should have been prepared for to the cold weather and been warm and welcoming, not left with the same summer set-up for the guest to cope with. I then ordered room service. The menu was limited, it's been the same for 20yrs and upon seeing it I remembered why I used to eat only breakfast. I wanted a warm soup, and had a choice of 2 pseudo French soups, an onion soup which is very heavy, high calorie, undigestible with lots of cheese and in France served for hangovers and an asparagus soup with boursin , a creamy garlic cheese, a disgusting combination and again cheese and high calories. Boursin would not be used that way in France( I am half French) Cheese is difficult to digest and not good to eat at night.and there should be a non dairy choice. There is not even a "menu of the day" which changes daily as a relief from this dreary choice. They should have fresh vegetable soups and more typical , local foods. Why not a delicious roast chicken? Simple, flavorful and seasonal would be better than the pretentious , imported , pseudo French and fast food choices. Add some healthy choices.The food was bought on a tray, plates were just dumped on a table, no table cloth or individual mats, and for this total lack of any presentation there is a charge of 20% serv. What a rip-off!. I spent a cold night after a disgusting meal.I caught a cough and coughed all night I checked out the following day and was ill for 3 days when I got home. I will never book a Deluxe room again as there is nothing luxurious about it. I like the gardens and the decoration of the main rooms unfortunatly there is not much choice in Tucson, so they can get away with calling this "luxury"

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business