“Home Away from Home” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 48 Tucson B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Home Away from Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2009

We returned once again to The Liz ( same time, another year) to ferry our daughter back to the University of Arizona. After a long , hot, day of moving in countless boxes of belongings, it was a true pleasure to get "home" to our B & B. As always, we were welcomed as old friends and let out a huge sigh of relief when back. We knew that refreshments were waiting, and after a soothing shower, could relax in the den and chat. We of course saw some of the same lovely people we met last year, as everyone returns to The Royal Elizabeth. Once you've stayed here, nothing else compares. Our only regret is that we often do not have enough time to just relax and enjoy the accommodations ( except for at the leisurely , delicious and varied breakfasts. Always a great group to talk--and laugh--with) There are no comparisons!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Bohemia, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2009

I am a bit late in writing this but I have to share my experience with anyone who is considering coming to Tucson.

I came for a week in the spring to escape the lingering New York winter. The Royal Elizabeth was my home for that week and I am so glad I found this place!

One of my favorite things in the world to do is to sit by the pool and do absolutely NOTHING. The pool at 'The Liz' was fabulous. The water was heated to a comfortable temperature and I felt as if I was in some private, tropical paradise. My friends were all jealous of my tan when I got home.

Even though the B&B is in the middle of Downtown Tucson and there are six guest rooms (mine was amazingly gorgeous, by the way), the inn is so peaceful. I almost always had the pool to myself. Jeff and Chuck (the owners) knew just how balance being helpful and attentive and just leaving me to my pool chair undisturbed.

And the breakfasts...they were simply to die for! Don't miss this place when you come to Arizona!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank lisasisi
washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2009

My recent stay at the Liz was one of the best business travel experiences I have ever had. The warmth and graciousness of the hosts, Chuck and Jeff, exceeded any Ritz or Four Seasons experiences I have had. The accomodations were top notch and the food was pure epicurean delight. The broiled papaya topped off with orange blossom honey infused with ginger remains a fond memory of mine, and I look forward to my next trip to Tucson so that I can enjoy it and "Liz pampering" again. A must do!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank DolceWashingtonDC
Tucson AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2009

This beautiful gem is hidden in plain site on the south side of downtown in a quiet neighborhood close to many of Tucson's attractions. You really can't see it from the street, it is very private, but you won't be disappointed when you walk through the front door. And if you can't imagine what an 1870 adobe Victorian looks like, well then you have to see it! The web site is excellent and describes every room, but I had to experience it first hand to really appreciate it, and I wasn't disappointed. Beautifully appointed rooms, every one unique, with lovely antiques, comfortable beds, luxurious linens, & custom-made robes. And every room has it's own bath, which is something that I can't do without when I'm traveling.
The public areas are gorgeous - high ceilings, original woodwork, comfortable & cozy seating areas. The innkeepers are very knowledgeable about the history of the inn as well as the city. I also found them to be welcoming & magnanimous, yet unobtrusive. They made me feel very at home & comfortable in this lovely home.
If you really want to feel like you've truly escaped, grab your favorite beverage and your favorite person, and wander the extravagantly planted path to the pool & hot tub. There you are surrounded by bougainvillea, palm trees, and an adobe wall to give you all the peace & quiet & privacy you could need.
If you come into town without a game plan, let Jeff & Chuck (the owners) steer you, as they are very involved in the Tucson business community and aware of everything that is happening. There is theater, dining, museums, and history all within walking distance, and Jeff & Chuck directed us to great restaurants & a theater performance by a nationally known comedian that was in town for the weekend.
I hope that you are still reading this because I saved the best for last. Do not leave in the morning without breakfast! It might not be the most important meal of the day at your house, but it sure is when you are staying at "The Liz!" This is not your average B&B fare. Chuck is a true gourmand and if I could make him cook for me every day I would! We had watermelon gazpacho, and baked french toast with chicken & apple sausage. The gazpacho was to die for! Chuck says he keeps track of what he serves to his guests so that they never get the same breakfast twice, even on a return visit, and that is a darn shame. Or maybe not. I intend to find out in the near future!
I highly recommend this B&B to anyone visiting the Tucson area!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank bzzzygrrl
Buffalo, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2009

The Liz was wonderful! The building itself was beautiful! A Victorian adobe...the woodwork and lead glass windows and the antiques...! WOW!
And what wonderful amenities - the chocolates, cookies, Lifesavers, coffee, beverages - all ours for the taking. I felt very welcomed and at home.
The rooms were very comfortable with their 17 ft ceilings and beautiful decor. Upon arrival, we were given a full tour of our rooms, including all the wheres and whats found within. Giving us our keys, we had the run of the place!
The pool and sideyard are so relaxing - hard to believe we were in downtown Tucson!
The location was perfect for us -within walking distance to the restaurants and theater. Chiuck and Jeff are have wealth of knowledge regarding the area - where to eat, what to do and see. Our two dinners out were incredible, not to mention late night drinks at the historic Congress Hotel!
And then there was breakfast! These guys can cook! No one left the table hungry! They asked us when we wanted to eat! Breakfast was served according to our schedule, not theirs!
When we realized we had not checked in with each of our airlines, Jeff immediately offered and did it for us - now that's service!

My only complaint is that we were only able to spend one night there due to our vacation schedule.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank rkdn
Northeast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2009

We stayed at the Royal Elizabeth for a week. This was by far the best B&B that we've ever experienced & we would recommend it for both business travelers and vacationers. Chuck & Jeff were amazing hosts. The breakfasts were creative and delicious & they made sure to respect all of their guests' culinary needs. Each room comes equipped with an impressive tv/audio system (if you're over 50, you might need a tutorial), wireless for your computer, and a phone with free long distance (including domestic and international calls). If you don't have a computer with you, there is a separate room with a laptop for the guests. The pool feels like an oasis.
The guests who stay at the Royal Elizabeth are interesting, friendly, and a joy to meet over breakfast. The owners make everyone feel welcome while respecting the guests' right to privacy.
Jeff and Chuck were a wealth of information. They suggested restaurants, hikes, day-trips -- they are wonderful trip advisers. One night, Jeff took a few of us on a short but steep hike. We felt like family!
The only complaint I can think of (and this is being really picky) is that there were fresh cookies everyday just outside of our room. As they were hard to resist, I'm hoping for some fresh fruit or something less fattening when we come again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Namaster
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2009

I stayed at the Royal Elizabeth over Memorial Day weekend and had a WONDERFUL time. Jeff and Chuck are the best host, the breakfast is outstanding and the location of the Inn is close to all places in Tucson. In addition to the breakfast, the personal attention that Chuck and Jeff provide is much appreciated with providing recommendations and directions of places of interest. The rooms are incredible!! The attention to detail is everywhere throughout the property. This is the best place to stay in Tucson!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple