“Loved my stay at the Catalina”

Catalina Park Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 48 Tucson B&B and Inns
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Loved my stay at the Catalina”
Reviewed November 23, 2008

I hadn't realized that I hadn't stayed at the CPI since 2003 until Mark told me. No matter. I was warmly greeted, my room upgraded and our visit over breakfast was hard to brea away and go about my business. I love staying here.

• Liked — Gorgeous rooms and gracious service..
  • Disliked — No off street parking. Easy street parking is available.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Bonn
Reviewed September 29, 2008

we came to stay for a day or two, and ended up staying for a week during the holidays last december. the owners were most helpful in making our visit to tucson very enjoyable. they helped with restaurant suggestions and reservations as well as various tourist information. above all, our room was very comfortable, breakfast was delicious and different every day, and there was always a happy crowd around the breakfast table.
all in all, a definitive recommendation for everybody seeking great comfort and friendly company in tucson.
thanks, Mark and Paul!

Stayed December 2007
1 Thank Lo_and_Mi
California
Reviewed June 23, 2008

Our experience at the Catalina Park Inn was first rate. The reception we received, the rooms, the entry way, attention to details and the freshly made morning breakfast combined to make our stay in Tucson above and beyond our expectations.
Prepare to be pleasantly surprised if you are looking to be pampered.

• Liked — atmosphere & amenities
  • Disliked — cost
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank AZJoe
Arizona
Reviewed April 10, 2008

Mark and Paul were completely accommodating without being intrusive. What a cool place right in the middle of things that feels like an ' off the beaten path' oasis. Secure and safe with clean rooms and linens and great soaps.The only thing I would want are towels as fluffy as the robes. Still, they got it right it in a town where some people get it, well something else.

Stayed April 2008
Montana
Reviewed March 20, 2008

We recently stayed at this location and upon check in where treated very rudely. Due to circumstances beyond our control we had to depart one night early and where charged for the night stay. I think that it is poor customer service not to be more accomodating especially under emergency situations. Would not recommend this as a place to stay.

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank Traveler1Montana
RichardHall, Co-Owner at Catalina Park Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 3, 2008
Please allow me to fill in a few details regarding this guest and reservation. The reservation was booked online where one must check a box to indicate that they have read and accepted our cancellation policy in order to proceed with the booking.

Our check in time of 4pm-6pm is clearly stated. Checking in after hours is to be arranged with the innkeepers (we have a special lock box we put out for late arrivals.) This guest arrived at the inn at 10:30 in the evening; four and a half hours past our check-in hours. This was not due to a late flight and the inability to contact the inn. She arrived in Tucson hours earlier and went for dinner. Had the guest, and/or her assistant who booked the room, read the confirmation regarding arrival time, we could have sent her our procedure for checking in late.

Yes, the innkeeper who checked her in was a bit grouchy. He was in his 16th hour of duty for the day. He apologized to the guest the next morning and even wrote her a note of apology which she accepted. She sat at the breakfast table both mornings and was quite comfortable.

Unlike hotels, most B&B’s are fairly small operations with one or two innkeepers and little or no staff, much less someone working “the front desk” overnight. So by the time 10:30 pm rolls around an innkeeper has put in 15 ½ hours minimum. This is not a plea for sympathy on behalf of all innkeepers but a mere reminder that we are human and get tired-out after working a really long day in our aim to see that folks have a relaxing and comfortable stay.

We state our check-in times on our web sites, confirmations and, in most cases (especially now) send another reminder a week out to let us know if they will come in early or late. What more can an innkeeper do? If someone does not arrive or call by 6pm, we are left to wonder “when and if” someone is going to show up. This uncertainty makes for a lousy nights sleep.

This guest informed us late in the afternoon on day two of a three night stay she would be checking out a day early as her job required her to get back to the office. I reminded her of our policy and that she would be charged for the night if I could not rebook the room as I had taken the room off our online availability calendar since her secretary reserved it two months prior. We did not get a call that day to rent the room to another guest, although I had turned away others just that morning. This is the reason why smalls inns generally have stricter cancellation policies than most large properties; in most cases there just is not the potential to fill a space at the last minute. This early departure was not a medical emergency, it was business related. Even larger properties are getting tougher with regard to early departures with little or no notice.

The guest signed her charge slip for the three nights without dispute. Her assistant wrote me a very harsh email the next day demanding to know what I was going to do about this situation. I informed her of my offer to credit the guest should I be lucky enough to rent the room to some one else, which did not happen. I made the room available online as soon as I was informed it would not be needed and also called a few innkeepers to let them know we now had an opening. I do not like to charge folks for a room they did not use, but I will do it if I have turned away business.

When we take a reservation, we honor the reservation. This needs to work both ways. Do you suppose this guest would have been happy if she was informed after arriving that we shortened her stay to two nights because we needed her third night in order to take another reservation for a much longer stay? Of course not. She would be furious and rightly so.

If someone needs the ability to cancel all or part of a reservation at the last minute without penalty for any reason then staying at a small inn during their high season is not the way to go. Had this happened on a half-full night it would not have been an issue.

Staying at our B&B is generally a wonderful experience and we take it hard when we don’t measure up to a guest (please read our other reviews!) But please realize that we (like most B&B owners) run a small businesses, by ourselves. All we ask is that guests read their confirmation to see that it is correct and to be informed of the policies and hours of operation.

Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reviewed March 7, 2008

My wife and I stayed in the Oak room for five nights 2/24-2/28/08. While she attended daytime training, I took advantage of the sitting area and WiFi access as an office away from my office.

Paul and Mark could not be more gracious and helpful hosts. As my wife's training started at 8AM, they made sure she had a light take-away breakfast to make up for her missing the full breakfast served in the dining room. For my part, I much appreciated the best coffee I've had away from home (they import it from San Francisco) and the homemade cookies.

The location was ideal as she had the car during the day and we didn't want to drive all over Tucson in the evenings. A variety of coffee shops, cafes and restaurants are just a few blocks away, as are various boutiques, a food co-op, a small fruit stand (great grapefruits), and a mini-mart. And, being not far from the university, several head shops, a couple tattoo places, and a few bars/night clubs.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Tub/shower too small for two
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Saul K
South Dakota
Reviewed March 1, 2008

Owners Mark and Paul were great company and wonderful hosts. Breakfasts were delicious. Bower Room was spacious, bed very comfortable and room well decorated and clean. Room opens to a beautiful outdoor courtyard.

This B&B location is perfect for touring Tucson and the surrounding area.

Stayed February 2008