“Great location and gracious innkeepers”

and 1 more site!
Catalina Park Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 48 Tucson B&B and Inns
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Great location and gracious innkeepers”
Reviewed March 7, 2008

My wife and I stayed in the Oak room for five nights 2/24-2/28/08. While she attended daytime training, I took advantage of the sitting area and WiFi access as an office away from my office.

Paul and Mark could not be more gracious and helpful hosts. As my wife's training started at 8AM, they made sure she had a light take-away breakfast to make up for her missing the full breakfast served in the dining room. For my part, I much appreciated the best coffee I've had away from home (they import it from San Francisco) and the homemade cookies.

The location was ideal as she had the car during the day and we didn't want to drive all over Tucson in the evenings. A variety of coffee shops, cafes and restaurants are just a few blocks away, as are various boutiques, a food co-op, a small fruit stand (great grapefruits), and a mini-mart. And, being not far from the university, several head shops, a couple tattoo places, and a few bars/night clubs.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Tub/shower too small for two
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Saul K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
South Dakota
Reviewed March 1, 2008

Owners Mark and Paul were great company and wonderful hosts. Breakfasts were delicious. Bower Room was spacious, bed very comfortable and room well decorated and clean. Room opens to a beautiful outdoor courtyard.

This B&B location is perfect for touring Tucson and the surrounding area.

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank OwheelersO
Coon Rapids, Minnesota
Reviewed February 26, 2008

We just spent two nights at this lovely Inn and can't say enough wonderful things. It was in a perfect location for accessability to nearby attractions. The cottage we stayed in was separate from the main house. It was surrounded by a private and enchanting cactus garden (including tinkling fountains!) where I spent every moment I could. The main house and our cottage were tranquil and beautifully decorated. There was always fresh coffee, tea, cookies and plenty of magazines and travel books to entice you to spend time in the living room. The breakfasts were gourmet all the way!
Lastly, I cannot say enough about Paul and Mark. They were so welcoming, friendly and kind. They made us feel like invited friends and family not just customers. I will dream about the Catalina Park Inn for a long time!

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank lostpine
NJ
Reviewed January 18, 2008

From the moment we arrived till we left 6 days later, the Catalina Park Inn and our wonderful hosts, Paul and Mark never disappointed. We stayed in one of the courtyard rooms, and on the one rainy day, opened our door to find an umbrella waiting for us to use. Small thoughtfull touches such as that made this stay in Tucson special. Fresh baked cookies every day, in the lobby. Breakfasts as varied as the days in the week. Comfortable bed and a garden to sit and relax in.We came to find a home to buy, and came home to NJ with so much more. When we move to Tucson in early April, we know we can contact these knowledgeable men to help acclimate us.

• Liked — The hosts and the information they imparted.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tucsongal
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed December 26, 2007

I spent two highly enjoyable nights at the Catalina Park Inn Bed and Breakfast. I stayed in the delightful and elegant Cottage Room. The Inn and the gardens are a feast for the eyes. The proprietors go the extra mile in providing amenities and hospitality that one simply cannot find in a typical hotel chain. Breakfasts were filling, delicious, and attractively presented. I look forward to my next visit to Tucson and the Inn.

• Liked — It exceeded my expectations.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
ottawa
Reviewed December 14, 2007

This past year my studies have required that I make several trips from Ottawa, Canada, to Tucson, Arizona. Thanks to the information provided on your web site, I decided to stay at The Catalina Park Inn. It was a fabulous choice. I stayed in the lower suite at the Inn and it provided me with everything I needed for my extended trips. The decor of the suite was eclectic and consistent with the overall charm of this casually elegant Inn. The king-size bed was extremely comfortable, as were the sofa and chairs in the living area, which, along with the large Jacuzzi tub, made me feel right at home.
Even more comforting were the innkeepers, Mark and Paul, who displayed genuine hospitality and were a joy to chat with at any time, but particularly over their steamy coffee and delicious gourmet breakfasts

• Liked — comfort, food, owners
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank cindersOttawa
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed November 26, 2007

I found staying in the basement room very unpleasant. The owner suggested it was lower level with big windows, but the windows are below ground and covered with plastic. The basement room is very spacious, has a sitting area, and a private nice hot tub. The room was stuffy from being in the basement and from the attached hot tub. The decor was over the top and a little creepy to me, admittedly tastes vary and some may think differently. I did see rooms on the second floor and they were pleasing to me (they were booked). There was no radio, they said they'd look for one, but they never returned.

The mattress was very uncomfortable, it had a thick sponge foam top (something you'd expect to find at a swap meet) over the mattress.

After breakfast, when I diplomatically mentioned that the bed was uncomfortable -- the owner was very unpleasant and not interested in feedback. He said other guests loved the thick mattress pad. Yes, there was a very nice mattress pad, but that did not make-up for the quality of the sponge top underneath it. This unpleasant response further dampened my stay -- it was the most unfriendly interaction I've experienced at a B&B/Hotel (the owner was cordial, though not overly attentive, before that).

The exterior and common areas are attractive. Breakfast was good. The location is convenient (close to Campus and 4th Street).

I stayed at the Inn two and a half years ago (delayed review since I just got a Trip Advisor account). I was torn between giving this B&B a 1 or 2 rating since I suspect people staying in other rooms may have a better experience.

Stayed March 2005
RichardHall, Owner at Catalina Park Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 27, 2007
At first we could not recall who could have written this review until the author indicated that it was about a stay that occurred two and half years ago! Then it took us only a minute to remember this guest. She called and asked if she could come over to check out the inn and see the room the day before she booked it for a one night stay. It was not an advance reservation. The Catalina Room is booked as frequently as any of our others and is, in fact, the first choice for many of our guests. We recognize that some folks will not want to stay in a basement room and we never rent it to anyone without being clear about the location (which is mentioned in the first sentence of the web description.) The windows are up high. She saw this when she inspected the room before she booked it. She also saw the decor. If she did not like the look of the room she could have elected to stay at another establishment.
By the way, this room is a favorite of Fodor’s travel writer Karl Samson, who mentions it in his listing of the inn. We have been listed by Fodor’s for many years. Frommer’s too. AAA three diamond rated as well.

The comment about the bed was also surprising. The mattresses and sheets are high quality. They were made here in town by a company that also supplies the four star Arizona Inn. The egg crate style foam pad is one that was purchased at Bed, Bath & Beyond (not at a swap meet. ) The foam pad together with the extra thick custom mattress pad make the bed that much more comfortable. We have special ordered those pads for guests who comment on the beds.

We have been in business since 1994 and have had thousand of happy guests and many, many repeat customers who have been staying at our inn since we opened. The fact that we were able to recall this guest without even having to look at our records should indicate that we have not had a lot of folks who we knew left the inn less than pleased.

We are sorry that this guest did not enjoy her stay.