“A Peaceful Escape From A Busy World”

Cactus Cove Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #13 of 45 Tucson B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We have been visiting Cactus Cove regularly since it opened and have just returned from what has been at least our 30th stay. We have traveled extensively over the years and have high standards in our selection of accommodations. We can state without hesitation that Cactus Cove has never disappointed us.

The compound is compact and intimate. Unlike large resorts, that may be luxurious, yet somehow impersonal, Cactus Cove, in its also luxurious, yet more intimate size, seems to somehow reach out to envelop you in a big welcoming hug.

The inn is located in a portion of Tucson zoned for lots of at least three acres, giving it a rural feel, while still affording guests easy access to all the local attactions. The rooms are each decorated in their own Southwestern style with comfortable furnishings and all the amenities expected in an establishment of this quality.

The grounds are well kept and due to their rural nature, offer guests a good feel for the Arizona desert. Each room has a private patio and the large shaded veranda behind the inn is a most inviting location in which to relax or perhaps sit by the outdoor fireplace on a cool evening.

The morning breakfast is always a complete delight that reflects the great care that is given to provide the best possible service to guests. There are also many of those "small things" that are done that makes one feel so welcome; perhaps fresh flowers, cookies or other treats waiting in your room when you return after a day of adventure, etc..

Sally, the Innkeeper, is an elegant lady who truly enjoys what she is doing and spares no effort to please her guests. She is also fun to talk with and is a great source of information if one has questions about Tucson and things to do while there.

For anyone seeking an island of tranquility in the sea of chaos that often surrounds us these days, Cactus Cove offers an outstanding port of refuge.

Room Tip: Each room has its own personality. Check the inn's website so you can decide for yourself.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sharktooth, Owner at Cactus Cove Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Yes, you have stayed at Cactus Cove at least 30 times in the past 15 years. You are both a delight to have around. So naturally they have become my good friends. They love the desert. In fact they have hiked every single trail in the Saguaro Park East. You have enriched my life and it is one of the reasons I enjoy doing the B and B. I always look forward to your return visit as well as does my housekeeper Esther. I hope it will be 30 more times. You keep me smiling..

Reviewed February 5, 2013

THE GOOD:

Very quiet, and the owner is extremely pleasant. The outdoor area is small, but inviting and oh, so relaxing. There are plenty of tables and chairs for outdoor pursuits, even a large gas-powered outdoor fireplace. There are a few small tables scattered around the property suitable for contemplative relaxing.

The rooms are equipped with most of the normal things (microwave, small fridge) and if you ask for something from the kitchen the owner is happy to provide it for you. I needed a blender and she brought one to my room for no extra charge.

Breakfast was always very good, and very upscale. Desserts were healthy, unique and delicious. And first. I love eating dessert first. All of the food was delicious and new to me. No restaurant is better, and most don't compare.

THE BAD:

We got a room (the room?) with a jacuzzi. There isn't a shower in the room, but the jacuzzi is equipped with a water-pik-style handheld sprayer. Outside of the room, inside an 8' brick wall, is an outdoor shower that I would have enjoyed. But it's kept turned off during the winter.

There was enough hot water to fill the jacuzzi (barely), and we kept running out of hot water. It takes an hour or so before the water is hot enough to rinse after using the jacuzzi, making me suspect an electric heater. The only way to keep the water hot is to leave the jacuzzi pumps running. Someone in another unit started pounding on the wall and I turned it off.

After we checked out and were driving back to our home state, the proprietor called my wife and said "No jacuzzi after 10:00." She couldn't call the room or knock on my door when I was bugging the other visitors?

I'm a bird lover and amateur photographer, and we were there during the winter. In areas nearby, there were a lot of migrant birds. The weather was excellent and I could hear the birds, but they stayed away from the property. There were large owl statues everywhere, and that might be the reason. A lack of nesting boxes and permanent bird baths might be other contributing factors.

If you like taking pictures of doves, there is a flock of white-winged doves that didn't seem to mind people. These birds spent a lot of time on the property, but I didn't notice too many other birds.

THE UGLY:

A disgusting, barely noticeable odor was always present in our room. We had to go buy some incense to keep it at bay. I thought maybe a rodent was poisoned and died in the wall, until our second day there. While shaving, I bent down to rinse and a puff of air from the sink drain hit me. It was sewer gas. This usually means that plumbing was installed on the cheap, and the contractor didn't install venting properly or to code. It's also a health issue.

I won't be staying at this B&B in the future.

Room Tip: Stay out of the blue room due to sewer gas smell. We think the Pink room is probably the best due to...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JR-from-abq
Sharktooth, Owner at Cactus Cove Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

First I would like to thank you for the positive part of your review for Cactus Cove. I truly appreciate it. It makes me very sad though that I was not able to assist you in having an overall wonderful time at Cactus Cove. That has been my goal here for every guest.

In 15 years of having Cactus Cove I have never had a review like this. I pride myself in offering one of the most outstanding bed and breakfast experiences in the southwest and believe that the numerous positive reviews from guests from all over the world support that. I have never had any of your complaints from any other guests. Guests at Cactus Cove are very happy. That is why I am in this business- to make people happy. So I was quite surprised and apologize that I was not able to make you completely happy. You did not mention any of these items to me during your stay or when I specifically asked you about your stay so I was not able to more fully research your concerns at the time and take steps to address them while you were still here.

Specifically in response to your comments, the suite has its very own 50 gallon hot water heater which is the biggest I can have as a residence. Since Cactus Cove is a bed and breakfast and not a 100+ room resort, when you fill up the two person jacuzzi, it takes all the water out of that tank. Jetta Tubs guarantee tub staying hot for 1/2 hour. I suspect the issue was that you may have used that jacuzzi for many hours at one time. That is not how the equipment was intended to be used. In most resorts the jacuzzi tub jets automatically turn off after an hour. So possibly when you wanted more water, there wasn't sufficient time for the heater to re-heat the water from when the tub was originally filled. No other guests have complained of not having sufficient hot water so that is my suspicion for whey you experienced a lack of hot water. Based on your feedback, I will be sure to highlight how the jacuzzi uses the hot water for other guests.

When you checked in there was no smell in the room. I believe the smell may have been due to the length of use of the jacuzzi jets which added a lot of humidity in the room. I just had all the carpets in Cactus Cove cleaned the week before you came so think with the humidity it may have brought out the smell from the newly-cleaned carpet. It definitely had nothing to do with the sewer. Never had any issues or comments ever on that front.

The owls are placed around to keep the woodpeckers from pecking on the wood beams and wood soffits on the house. We have lots of humming birds here all year round. In fact on my website I have a picture of the babies born here. Last of the south bound birds migrate beginning in December. And then north bound birds migrate around the middle of February. You came just in between these times. I have had one guest count 25 different birds here at one time.

We had a record breaking cold snap the week before you arrived. Many pipes froze in the neighborhoods including my outdoor showers even though we had the pipes completely insulated. I attempted but was not able to get them fixed during your visit. Plumbers had so many pipes to fix. I apologize for that. I hope to have the showers available year-round by insulating still more.

I have had many nice reviews from people who have stayed in that very suite including the guests who stayed right before you. I also have many repeat guests. I believe that once they have come to Cactus Cove, they so enjoy themselves that they want to return. I am constantly looking to improve so have taken your comments to heart and will make adjustments such as explaining recommended use of the jacuzzi. Thank you for your feedback. I hope you accept my apology for not being able to make you happy during your stay and wish you well on your future travels.

S

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Being an objective reviewer, I usually don't give many 5's but in the case of the Cactus Cove B&B I simply must. This is a splendid B&B. Sally is an outstanding host. The grounds are lovely and very tranquil. We stayed here in 2002 and returned in 2012 only to wonder why it took so long to get back... This will be an annual trip for us now. We simply love the Cactus Cove and Sally's presence.
(BTW: the breakfast was 5 star!!)
Thanks Sally!!

• Stayed: December 2012
Sharktooth, Owner at Cactus Cove Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Thank you for this nice review. I so enjoyed having you return after 10 years. Hope it does not take that long the next time. You two are a delight and I look forward to your next visit. When you are my friends.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

We have stayed at Cactus Cove five or six times, and our most recent stay was the three days after Thanksgiving 2012. Our lovely host and now friend, Sally, had a fantastic vision of what this house could become, and it was her inspired idea to build the fantastic ramada of grand proportions with a handsome fireplace that frames the magnificent desert views. It is just sublime to linger on the richly carved sofas and enjoy the vistas from the ramada.

Sally has a keen eye for detail and chooses lively fabrics, super soft towels, heavenly fragranced soaps and lotions, and lush colors for the guest suites. Everything you need is provided from a desk, to a large television, to a small refrigerator.

The super cool feature of each suite is the totally private outdoor shower that is in an enclosed patio area in the rear of the suite. The mint fragranced bath products provide an extra tingle to the sensory experience of showering under the desert sky.

Sally is a effervescent hostess with helpful information about Tucson and the surrounding area, and her goal is to have each guest have a relaxing and fun stay.

The breakfasts are all very tasty and served in beautiful fashion on an ever-changing array of beautiful china and serving pieces. Special little afternoon treats are just that - delightful surprises and scrumptious too.

Sally has created a very special desert B&B, and we treasure each and every trip we've made there. Thank you, Sally for your vision and welcoming us to your home

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marsha w
Sharktooth, Owner at Cactus Cove Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2012

On this Christmas day I reflect on all my blessing this past year. Which include my many wonderful guests that have come to Cactus Cove. You two are on the top of my list. I have so enjoyed you staying here. You are right we have become friends. So look forward to your next visit. Thank you for enriching my life. Have a GREAT New Year.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

My wife and I have been to Cactus Cove three years in a row, and we do not plan on breaking the tradition. The property is gorgeous and well-maintained, and the hostess is amazing! We have done poolside massages in the dusk, as well as in our room, and each was absolutely relaxing! Of course the outdoor shower is a must-do as well, which rounds up this extremely romantic spot! We strongly recommend Cactus Cove to anybody looking for an exhilarating, adventurous, and also relaxing getaway! We will be back several times!!! ~Robert and Violet

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robert M
Sharktooth, Owner at Cactus Cove Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Robert and Violet, you two are one of the reasons I love having a bed and breakfast. You enrich my life. I love hearing about your life back home. So look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

This was my third stay at Cactus Cove and per usual, Sally was an amazing hostess! We love our room -- the Barrel Cactus Suite -- and the private outdoor showers are a real treat. The breakfasts are yummy and we love relaxing in the pool in the evenings. Sally pays particular attention to details -- chocolate covered strawberries upon arrival and delicious oatmeal cookies. Cactus Cove is a great place to get away for a weekend during the summer months.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

You two are a delightful couple. I so enjoy having you stay at Cactus Cove. When you return it is like returning friends. Looking forward to the next time. Thank you so much for writing this review.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

This was our second stay at Cactus Cove and I enjoyed my first stay so much that I had my fingerscrossed it would still be as lovely. I wasn't disappointed. This B&B is just perfect if you want to relax and enjoy a wonderful desert setting. Everything from the pool, to the rooms to the breakfasts and treats provided by our generous host, make you feel very welcome, my only regret was that we couldn't stay longer.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Sharktooth, Owner at Cactus Cove Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2012

It was such a joy for me to have you return. Thanks you so much for the pictures you took of Cactus Cove. I will include some of them when I do a new web site in July. Looking forward to your next visit. Loved the Queens celebrations.