“Best Mexican Food in Tucson”
Review of Los Nopales

Los Nopales
Ranked #66 of 2,246 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner
Reviewed March 22, 2010

I grew up in Tucson and have eaten at many of the Mexican restaurants. Unfortunately, Los Nopales was one of the last ones I ate at before moving. It is by far the best Mexican food that I have ever eaten, and is totally worth the trip out west to get it. The restaurant is tiny and casual, but it is very inexpensive and genuine Mexican food.

1  Thank Tarjida

Reviewed May 24, 2009

The food is great. The service is wonderful. There is sometimes a line of people waiting to get in ( not too long, but long enough for you to know it's good). And most of all it is somehow just the classic Mexican restaurant my wife was hoping to find. This place is the place all the chains try to duplicate............. and the food is much better.

2  Thank OhioIluvaz
Reviewed August 22, 2008

we've been eating there for years before the present owners ran it, and they've made mass improvements from when it first opened. not exactly fine dining but probably some of thee best food i've ever had. i've lived in the area for all of my 25 years of life and love this place. the men who run it know exactly what we're ordering everytime we walk in and immediately get our family iced teas and a cheese crisp in the oven. i love the tomatillo chicken enchiladas with calbacitas (zuchini, tomatoes, onion and loads of cheese). the chimichangas and burritos are more than filling. rice and beans taste like the kind my nana makes. the prices are excellent, about the same if not less than what you pay at one of the fast food places for a meal.

1  Thank amarlow7
Reviewed May 8, 2007

Our experience was similar to another reviewer's. Upon a late afternoon arrival at our B&B (flight into Phoenix then driving the scenic route via Florence and Casa Grande) we were tired, hungry and stil on east-coast time. So we ventured down to Los Nopales on the recommendation of the B&B proprietor and ordered up supper around 5.30pm and were very pleased with the food.

This is a pleasant, friendly small restaurant in a not particularly distinguish strip mall. I've had good and bad experience in such Mexican eateries in the past and this was definitely one of the good ones.

My wife had chicken fajitas and they were delicious (yes, she shared with me) with the peppers and onions in particular being fresh, sweet and grilled without excessive oil or salt.

I had a cheese crisp (apparently a Tuscon area specialty) with dried beef and it was much better than expected. That sort of dish is often heavy and greasy whereas the version at Los Nopales was crispy and flavorful without seeming like it's a heart attack on a plate. In retrospect I might have enjoyed chicken rather than the dried beef which was a little salty (well duh, why order dried beef if you don't like salty). One note of caution, I ordered the cheese crisp off the regular menu and the server suggested that for just one person the "small cheese crisp" on the specials menu would be better. Boy was he right, I still had a third of the "small" one left for carry-out and I was really hungry.

The service was very quick, the prices more than reasonable. I'm not sure I'd say that someone in the Catalina Foothills or east of Tucson should make a 50-minute drive to Tuscon Estates just to eat at Los Nopales. No doubt there are equally good eateries closer to town. But if you're west of the Tucson mountains, no way you're going to have a better Mexican meal than Los Nopales. If it weren't closed on Sundays and Mondays we would likely have eaten there again.

1  Thank BrentSC
Reviewed January 3, 2007

There's nothing fancy here but the food is great and best of all, reasonably priced. An excellent small restaurant that was empty at 5:00 when we arrived, and packed with a line out the door at 6:00.
The service is friendly and upbeat. The menu has a nice selection of mexican beer, and the food, very fine. I am partial to the Pop-eye Quessadia which is listed on the lunch menu but can be ordered for dinner too. A huge pie with light and crispy tortilla and melted cheese with, of course, Pop-eye's spinach. My father raved about the chicken soup. You won't go hungry here because the portions are huge, no matter what you order. It's a little tricky to find but worth the effort if you are on the west side of town at the Desert Museum, Saguaro Park West or Tucson Mountain park. Look for it in Tuscon Estates, the same parking lot as Ace Hardware, and behind the barbershop and the Am-vets bar. They are closed Sundays and Mondays.

2  Thank kellykabuki

Been to Los Nopales? Share your experiences!