“Elegance with a history”

Arizona Inn - The Main Dining Room
Reserve with OpenTable
Arizona Inn - The Main Dining Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 2,071 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Elm Street and Campbell
Description: The Arizona Inn is an historic resort spread over 14 tranquil acres of gardens, flowers and lawns in the heart of mid-town Tucson. The Inn offers AAA Four Diamond Award winning dining in our Main Dining Room with cathedral-ceiling and fireplace as well as our more intimate Catlin Room with views of the gardens. The Dining Room provides legendary service in an elegant yet comfortable setting for breakfast, lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch. Chef Allison combines classic cuisine with seasonal ingredients and innovative techniques. The menus change with the seasons to feature the freshest ingredients. Wine Spectator has recognized the wine list with an Award of Excellence. The Audubon Bar, with live piano music nightly and patio seating, provides a perfect setting for enjoying a classic cocktail.
Reviewed August 19, 2014

So lovely is the setting for this restaurant that I couldn't resist giving it 5 stars. My husband and I were there for lunch. All service staff were helpful and polite, even when we met them outside as we were taking a walk around the outstandingly beautiful grounds. We were provided with a grounds map and a history of the property, which was opened in 1930 and has hosted many notable guests. For lunch we each had soup and sandwich. The vichyssoise was delicious, but the pea soup was a bit too minty. Our sandwiches, grilled chicken sandwich with quinoa salad and turkey sandwich with truffle potato salad, were very good, but not extraordinary. The final touch was a finger bowl and a chocolate truffle. Even for lunch you're not likely to spend less than $50, but you certainly feel that you've had a special experience. I plan take our next out-of-town guests there.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

My husband, mom, and I visited Arizona Inn for brunch yesterday (Sunday) since we had a gift card. The price was $30 per person, and you got to choose an item for your first course, then a second entree, then an item off the dessert menu.

The ambiance was very quiet and serene when we first arrived, as we were only one of two parties there at 11a.m. As soon as more folks began to show up for brunch around noon, the noise level increased quite a bit in the dining room. It was not bothersome at all, mind you.

As far as the food, I chose to have the fruit bowl, then the hanger steak, then the Chef's selection of assorted desserts.

Off the bat, you're offered either champagne or sparkling apple cider. The cider was delicious. They give you a bread basket with a rosemary seasoned bread and a sweet raisin biscuit option. The raisin biscuits were tasty. My fruit bowl consisted of sweet berries, a chunk of pineapple, and a chunk of honeydew and cantaloupe. I had high hopes for my hanger steak, since that is something relatively rare and hard to come by at most restaurants/stores. The steak was cooked to my liking and came with mashed potatoes and a pesto topping. The pesto really overpowered the flavor of the meat, but it was good so it was okay. The potatoes were decent but not the best I've ever had. They looked pretty, though, piped through a pastry bag into a lovely rose-ish shape on the plate.

The desserts are always of utmost importance to me, because I thrive on sugar. My dessert assortment came with one mini "red velvet" doughnut, a mini flour-less chocolate cake, fruit with a white sauce on it, a spoon of creme brulee, and a small scoop of rosemary honey ice cream. The star was the ice cream, for sure. It tasted very clean and light. Yum! The flourless chocolate cake was rich and dense and delicious, the fruit was good as always, and the creme brulee was better than what you get at a buffet in Vegas. The "Red velvet" donut... skip it. It was dry, flavorless, and was not at the level of the other items on the menu.

My mom had the gazpacho, the poblano, and the blueberry cheesecake. She loved both savory dishes and the cheesecake was good, too. It definitely had a strong pistachio flavor throughout, a very mild blueberry flavor, and was a nice contrast of sweet and salty as you ate it.

My husband had a first course I can't recall and the Coq Au Vin chicken for his entree. He said it tasted like chicken Marsala but the quality of the chicken wasn't too great. He liked the other parts, the onions and mushrooms. He had the black and white chocolate cake for dessert, and it was akin to a double layer Ding Dong, but a bit better.

After all was said and done, they gave us each small bowls with a lemon slice and water and a chocolate truffle to send us on our way. It was an experience, for sure. If you go, you'll feel comfortable in slacks and a nice shirt or blouse. Jeans and tees may seem a wee bit casual for the atmosphere there. The wait staff were all polite and pleasant.

P.S. Back in the day before cocoa powder could be stabilized, when added to baked goods it would start off brown and then turn red as it cooked. Thus, a light chocolate cake appeared a rich red when it came out of the oven. This chocolate cake became referred to as 'red velvet' and the chocolate hints are one of it's trademarks. Red velvet is not supposed to be a flavorless cake that's dyed red. So all those restaurants serving the impostor that has become so common these days - let that be a lesson to you!! RE: red velvet donuts.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

The attention, provided by a server clearly knowledgable about the menu offerings, is solicitous. Although, not over-the-top, the service did approach caricature.
Menu provides no refuge for a frugal diner, demanding extravagant self-indulgence.
The presentations joyfully engage the eye promising the pallet an experience to savor. Each of the five entrees offered at tonight's table were crafted with considered skill.
Portions permitted sparse room for dessert. A bit of sorbet or fruit seemed a reasonable as a final taste. Desserts were portioned for starving Vikings! Immense! An entire soup bowl of succulent raspberries and blueberries! Enough sorbet for two heartbroken lovers (served in this case in a bowl…not out of the carton) to seek conciliation.
One may consider dessert first. It may be enough.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

I've been here several times with my grandparents for my birthday or one of theirs. I have always been impressed with the appearance and professionalism. You feel like a wealthy individual just walking in the door and being greeted. Very fun place to visit and nice atmosphere. The service has been at times incredible and at other times lacking. Just depends on the visit I suppose and who is serving you.

The food is the same with the service, some things quite tasty and other not worth the price. The one thing I can say that has always impressed has been the deserts. I cannot recommend highly enough splurging and trying any desert. I have had almost all of them and they are amazing.

I will continue to go back here for the atmosphere and desert, which make up for anything else that might not be 100%.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

We got cought in a time crunch trying to make a graduation and get lunch/brunch. It fell during a normal "down" time for the main dining room. But they were accomodating and made sure we were able to get seated and served before running into the next service time. And they did it without making us feel rushed. AND, the food was delicious!

Been to Arizona Inn - The Main Dining Room? Share your experiences!