“We've had better....”

El SUR Restaurant
Ranked #74 of 1,976 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“We've had better....”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Had dinner with the wife last night at El Sur for the first visit. It came highly recommended by our car salesman down the road. We were seated right away and give our drink order. Then come the chips and salsa. Hot stuff in a ketchup bottle, mild in a mustard bottle. Chips were just average. We both had the tostado dinner and it was good. Here's the kicker, the waitress brought us an order of avocado dip. Neither of us like avocado! We didn't order it but when we got the check it was on there! I wouldn't pay the bill until it was removed. Also they do military discount. Its an okay place, just watch your ticket! Oh by the way, very noisy with hard ceiling and hard floors!

• Visited May 2014

Vail, Arizona
“LOUD for Lunch”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We stopped by there for lunch because we were in the area. The food was excellent and service was incredibly quick. The item that I saw the most of going out of the kitchen was the fajita lunch special. Three people at our table had it and everyone enjoyed it. I chose a breakfast option and it was also great. The food came out so fast that if you only had a short time for lunch, you could dine here.
One thing I should warn you about is that this place is LOUD! we had a difficult time just having a conversation at our table. Parking was also a little difficult.
All being said, I would go back in a a heart beat.

• Visited April 2014
Tucson, Arizona
“Great food, friendly service, family atmosphere”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I have passed El Sur many times, but today I stopped and had lunch at about 1:30 pm. The restaurant still had quite a few people eating lunch and people kept coming in all the time I was there. I was greeted by a friendly waitress who brought me the menu, along with chips and salsa. There were 2 salsas, one mild in a yellow squeeze bottle, the other nicely picante, served in a red bottle.

There were 3 specials: A taco plate, chicken fajitas, and pork chops. Each, normally $5.99, was $4.99. I chose the chicken fajitas. The meal was served promptly and soon a server came by offering grilled jalapeños and grilled onions. The fajitas, accompanied by refried beans and rice, were excellent. Check out the menu at http://www.elsurrestaurant.com/.

This restaurant is in a modified home along 22nd St, 1 block east of Craycroft Rd., a short distance from Davis-Monthan AFB. The building is brightly painted, but nothing fancy. The great food and service are what are most important to me when I go to a restaurant. I enjoy a restaurant like "El Sur" where they serve great food in a friendly atmosphere.

If you want a great little Mexican restaurant on the east side of Tucson, try it! I think you will enjoy it.

• Visited March 2014
Flagstaff, Arizona, United States
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Very authentic, fast service and reasonable prices. Flat enchiladas highly recommended, churros great too! Will be returning next visit.

Tucson, Arizona
“Good food, good prices, good service”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

My wife and I LOVE this place. A converted house (painted BRIGHT yellow) on 22nd St.
The chili rellenos are awesome. Plus, a waitress comes around with fried onions and peppers. I recommend them highly. You may need a Rolaid after as the food is spicy...but delicious.
AUTHENTIC Mexican food, lots of it and easy on the budget. You won't be sorry.
We have been there several times and consider it our favorite place to eat in Tucson.

• Visited April 2013