“Noisy and rundown”

Ranked #12 of 48 Tucson B&B and Inns
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Noisy and rundown”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Warning to potenial guests, this B & B is located very close to freight railroad tracks. All night long we heard the train whistle. Trains pass through about every 45 minutes all through the night. The owner offered us one of the interior rooms saying this would be more quiet and we would not hear the train but we found it impossible to believe you would not still hear the train horn as it blasts so elected to stay somewhere else, forfeiting the expense for the two nights we had already paid for- it was that bad. On top of the noise from the train, this B&B looked to us to be very rundown. There is a for sale sign in front of it, so that may be part of this. The owner told me it is not run down but being restored, in particular the front porch. Either way, it wasn't for us.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank elizabeth t
WestU, Owner at The Big Blue House Tucson Boutique inn, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
The Big Blue House Inn is located in a beautiful walking neighborhood just six blocks from Tucson's beautiful new Historic Train Station and Museum as well as Hotel Congress and Fox theater. Many folks appreciate the proximity to Downtown Tucson and it's historic district. There is no freight yard, just a cute little historic train station.

Every step and phase of the historically appropriate award-winning restoration of the Big Blue House Inn must be approved by the local and state historic society. We recently received permission to restore even more of the exterior. We appreciate our guest support who have witnessed the restoration of this important piece of Tucson history.

Keep in mind we do enforce our 7 day cancellation policy.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I recently went there to unwind the week of my birthday, and had such a wonderful, relaxing time. I loved my room which was decorated beautifully and included a kitchenette and huge comfy bed. I spent lots of time talking with Leah the owner, who was inviting, fun and helpful. The room had it's own private bath as well. I did lots of hanging out on the porch, shopping on 4th avenue (mere steps away) and going to the grocery co-op for yummies. I highly recommend this unique and well cared for inn and will make a ritual of coming at least once a year.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Clarissa A
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Reviewed October 13, 2013

After staying a weekend, I would highly recommend this B&B to anyone. Unique, well equipped room, favorite part being the beautiful shower. We felt centrally located to all the sights that were on our list. And to finish off each night with a glass of wine on the amazing porch, simply relaxing.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah C
chandler
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Recently, my husband and I enjoyed a night at this uniquely special B & B, which is a short drive from downtown and a short walk away from the cultural and university districts. We stayed in a charming suite dedicated to creating the ambiance Ernest Hemingway might have enjoyed during his European travels. The room was spacious and cozy with all of the needed amenities to make ourselves at home. After a day of wine tasting in the nearby city of Elgin, we had plenty of options for dining all within walking distance. The next day, we woke to a delectable, homemade breakfast compliments of the talented and welcoming hostess of the property. If you are looking for a great overnight getaway at an affordable price, you will be pleased with all the Big Blue House has to offer.

Room Tip: There is a selection of rooms that offer either full kitchens or kitchenettes depending on your need...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stephanie S
Carefree, Arizona
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We spent a wonderful weekend at the Bib Blue House just sitting and lying around the charming, well equipped room. The Breakfasts were excellent, the best we've ever eaten at a B&B. The Hostess was definitely the most cordial, interesting and articulate we've ever met. The Big Blue House is located a 3 minute walk from the University District with dozens of eclectic shops and eateries. Probably our best ever weekend getaway.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Arizore
Bisbee, Arizona
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Recently my husband and I stayed at The Big Blue House. When we looked at photos on their website we could tell it was going to be a nice place but in person it was 10 times more beautiful. The grounds were lush with greenery and the huge wrap-around porch was so inviting. As we stepped onto it we could almost feel the history of the old house. Lea, the owner, showed us to room 5, which is a lovely 2 room suite with a private bath. The furnishings were gorgeous antiques, and there was interesting literature to read about the house. It was nice to be able to walk a short distance to restaurants, galleries and live music, then come back to a cozy room and comfy bed. And the very best part, BREAKFAST! Lea said it would be served "between 7:30ish and 9:ish," but I woke up at 9:30. When i walked into the breakfast cottage there was a delicious scent of sweet and savory in the air, but I had missed it. Then when I called to ask about checkout, Ken, the other owner, sweetly scolded me for missing breakfast. He said today had been biscuits and gravy, my favorite. When I told him that, he said if I could be there in 2 minutes, Lea would make me breakfast. I made it in time and ate the best biscuits & gravy I've ever had. Ken and Lea visited with me while i ate. They're both very friendly and down-to-earth. Lea makes everything from scratch with love and I could tell by how awesome it tasted. I went back to my room with arms full of leftovers for my sleeping husband, who awoke to breakfast in bed at a bed & breakfast.
Everything about our stay was perfect and we will definitely stay there whenever we visit Tucson. We might plan a trip just so we can stay there again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank amy r
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 6, 2013

If the chain properties bore you, you will love The Big Blue House! You get the conveniences of the chain properties in an ultra-charming setting with the warmth of caring hosts. An added bonus is conversation and traded experiences over breakfast with the interesting guests the Inn attracts. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay!

• Stayed May 2013