“tranquil tucson”

Ranked #12 of 47 Tucson B&B and Inns
napa valley
“tranquil tucson”
Reviewed August 23, 2006

a quiet, tranquil environment tucked into a neat neighborhood near the university campus.....excellent breakfasts and comfortable accomodations make one feel at home or visiting your favorite aunt betty. highly recommended!

2 Thank drcoz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Las Vegas
Reviewed July 31, 2006

Inviting home in an historic district of Tucson. Near University of Arizona and all that is college related. The back patio and yard area are a delight with sittinga areas, shade trees, a fountain and peaceful atmosphere. The large sitting room with its terazzo floor, inviting leather couches and multitude of shelved books is a fine retreat. Susan, the inn keeper, provides an excellent breakfast and stimulating conversation. The room was bright and clean. The insuite bath was well stocked, clean and most functional. No effort was spared to make our stay a pleasant one and to accomodate our needs. Wnile there an exceptional amount of rain fell during the nite, an umbrella was promptly provided without request. Directions to nearby restaurants and other establishments were promptly and correctly provided. When we are next in Tucson we shall definitely make it a point to call the Sam Huges Inn our home away from home.

• Liked — Cleanlyness and service
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for directions to Bob Dobbs
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Number9
Seattle
Reviewed May 20, 2006

I have stayed at the Sam Hughes Inn four or five times over the last several years. Each time I have stayed for from three to ten days. My experience staying there has been without exception wonderful. The Inn is very attractive with beautiful landscaping and it is quiet and peaceful. The back garden area is just lovely with a fountain and wonderful flowers. The Inn is in a very good location in Tucson.
Innkeeper Susan Banner is a charming lady and she prepares the most delicious breakfasts which are included with the room cost. The guests at the Inn are invariably interesting people often visiting at or connected to the nearby University of Arizona and the conversations at the breakfast table always are fun and stimulating. The small size of the Inn ( four or five rooms) makes it particularly pleasant. As you can see, I am a very big fan of the Sam Hughes Inn and will continue to stay there as often as possible.

4 Thank paulgSeattle
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 13, 2006

Our stay at the Sam Hughes Inn was perfectly enjoyable - how often do you write a thank you note to your hotelier? We did, because she was just so thoughtful - offering to help in every way that she could - and keeping everything just spotless & comfortable. My only concern was a slight allergy to the mexican blankets that hung in our room (the Nogales) but next time I'll just request the little guest house out back...I'd definitely stay there again, and think it's a great location and amazing value when you consider the huge breakfast that's included in the rate.

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank caryperk39
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 1, 2006

My first visit to the Sam Hughes Inn was in February (2006). I did lots of research on the internet before making a reservation and can truly say I was thrilled from the first moment I walked in the door. My room, the Pima, was gorgeous with hardwood floors and an extremely comfortable bed.

I sat outside in the garden reading for an hour that first afternoon listening to the sounds of birds and the fountain and wishing I could stay for a week. Not being a “morning person” and rarely getting up for breakfast even when staying at bed & breakfasts in the past, something motivated me to get up early and be there for breakfast. I wasn’t disappointed. I have never enjoyed breakfast more than that first morning at the Sam Hughes Inn.

Susan Banner is a superb cook and has a dining room and the presentation that make you want to linger over breakfast. That first morning I was almost late for the tour I was supposed to take. I gave up the idea of lunch that day and didn’t even think of eating again until dinner.

When I found out I had to be back again in April and that I had told everyone in the group I was with what a wonderful place I was staying at, I was afraid to wait until I got back home to call Susan and ask her if I could stay again in April. After my second visit last weekend and no more trips scheduled, I am now motivated to find a new excuse to visit Tucson again soon. It was so much fun getting to know Susan and the other guests that by the time I was ready to head home again, it felt like I was leaving friends. Sam Hughes Inn has personality like its owner and makes you want to come back often.
Sam Hughes I

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Mount Kisco, New York
Reviewed April 30, 2006

We first discovered the Sam Hughes Inn in 2001 and have been returning ever since for periods of a few days to three weeks. The Inn is conveniently located in central Tucson in the Sam Hughes historic district, within walking distance of the University of Arizona, as well as a library, post office, several cafes, and a grocery store. It is small (4 guest rooms), with a large, charming, and relaxing garden with gazebo, fountain, and places to sit under the trees to read or have a refreshing drink (BYOB). There is also a capacious living room with a TV (although individual rooms have TVs as well) and a huge wall of books for guests' use. A small den off the garden has a wireless computer available to those in residence.
Susan Banner, the owner, has decorated the house and rooms tastefully in Southwest style, serves a marvellous and ample breakfast, and couldn't be more helpful with suggestions of places to visit, eat, shop---in outlying areas as well as in Tucson. We enjoy her company--as well as that of others at the breakfast table. Susan makes her guests feel like family, which is why we always look forward to returning.

5 Thank svk342016
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 15, 2006

The Sam Hughes Inn is on a quiet street near the University of Arizona. The atmosphere was warm and welcoming. The furnishings were comfortable and fun. We stayed in the Tombstone room which was a most luxurious bit of the old southwest with everything one could need - big, fluffy towels, toiletries, hair dryer, and a large tiled corner shower. The courtyard garden was lovely-with flowering plants and a tranquil water feature. We used the shaded patio table for an afternoon picnic! Breakfast was delicious all three mornings and our innkeeper was most helpful with directions and dinner suggestions. We will definitely go back again!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member