“Tork's Dreadfull Cafe”

Tork's Cafe
Ranked #1,315 of 2,070 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Reviewed June 6, 2013

My wife & I have never had a worse dining experience than here. My wife ordered gyros, which come on a bed of lettuce. The server came out 15 minutes later with the lettuce but the gyros were not brought out for another 10 minutes. It was surreal. We were there during the 12 to 1 lunch rush and we were the only ones the whole time. There were flies, an open container of trash in the dining area and shabby décor--tilted picture frames, tattered notices and a loud broadcast of a soccer game in the dining area, obviously there for the staff to watch. Until one of the TV restaurant rescue shows hits Tork's, I'd steer clear, although I doubt they have the motivation to change...

2  Thank jeepnyds
Reviewed January 9, 2012

This place is a complete joke -- only if you eat there, the joke's most certainly on you, and your wallet. "Ethiopian"... gimme a break... it's all basically low-grade, out of the freezer Greek and Middle Eastern-type food, and has absolutely nothing to do with the continent of Africa other than maybe who's serving it to you. Straight from the frozen food section of Trader Joe's, a few blocks away -- but dated and/or old, or reheated from what came back from customers a few days back.

The "cafe" abuts an Ethiopian (supposedly) grocery, that's basically comprised of 40lb sacks of corn meal, dried beans, along with giant containers of dates -- as well as the run-of-the-mill canned stuff you see in most Middle Eastern grocery stores. One has to wonder whether this dump is a front for some other kind of business, mainly because they have absolutely no business serving food to the general public.

My family went there, only because my Mother-in-law wanted to try it out. 4 of 6 ordered Gyros (Greek, no doubt) that came cold while the other 2 folks had to wait ten minutes, while asking the 'waiter' when the food was coming. The hummus was not only soupy, but they had the nerve to include one (as in one) piece of pita bread to be used for a serving for 2 or more. When the other dishes finally arrived (combo platters), they were comprised of cold rice, two stale fillafels, and two samosa-type pastries that were filled with more cold rice and some bean-type paste. It was one of those situations where everyone was there, hungry, and were eager to try out something different -- there was no turning back -- the whole time we were the only customers in the middle of the day, and 2 of 3 employees watched African soccer at full volume while the other employee, our 'waiter' made all the excuses for the crappy service and worse food... "the cook isn't here today -- I'm just a family member who works here 2 days a week -- we mistakingly crossed-out many of the menu items, but we "may" be able to make them -- I'll try to see.

If I could rate this poor excuse for a food establishment at zero, I would. Don't even think about eating there, as you'll not only be completely disappointed (unless you're of the mindset that "this is authentic Ethiopian cuisine, and this is probably what they serve there") but insulted by having to actually pay for such lousy food.

The only thing 'Tork'd' was my mom-in-law's purse. This is the most damning review I've written and am truly sorry to feel the need to do so,; but you, the public, need to know what's what where Tork's 'Cafe' is concerned.

Do yourselves a huge favor and eat at the Taco Bell across the street -- I'd give TB 5 stars over this complete sham of a "restaurant". Or, you can go ahead and try 'em out, so I can say "I told you so".

2  Thank Inspector-Cluseau
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed November 22, 2008

great Libyan food.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Been to Tork's Cafe? Share your experiences!