“Enigmatic, Enduring and Easy to Love”
Review of Club 21

Club 21
Ranked #462 of 2,050 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Of the hundreds of authentic Mexican restaurants in Tucson, this is probably my favorite. Located on the same corner for over 60 years, Club 21--despite its name--is not a strip club. It really is a restaurant.

The servers are always friendly and attentive, and it's rare not to have your server all to yourself, since usually you and your party will be the only ones dining (even on a weekend night). The servers answer questions patiently (and with knowledge--e.g. what kind of to-go containers are used: Styrofoam), split bills with good cheer, and keep your water glass filled. I have even seen a Club 21 server bear up under completely un-called-for abuse by a customer and maintain the hospitable equanimity my spouse and friends and I have so much come to count on over the years. I've also never visited without seeing the owner circulating through the dining room checking on everyone's level of enjoyment. This is a (tried and) true family business.

The specialties such as "El Vaquero" and "Steak Azteca" are particular stand-outs, and such steak dishes usually come to the table within range of how you ordered them cooked (e.g. "medium rare" or "medium"). I can't resist the refried beans with cheese, the homemade salsa (both mild and hot), nor the tortillas.

The chiles rellenos are sometimes a little soggy, and the margaritas too sweet. But the easy-going mood of the place and the genuine-ness of the servers make it always a tempting prospect.

Bottom line: I think it's a good value for the money and always feel right at home.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

We had seen Club 21 for more than 35 years and finally decided to try it. The food was good and the service prompt, but there was nothing special. The enchilada sauce was well prepared and the chocolate "enchilada" for dessert was an interesting item. Prices were a little higher than other average Mexican food restaurants, but dinner was a pleasant experience. There was a large family Christmas party while we were there, but service was prompt and pleasant.

1  Thank jimHanoi
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Club 21 has been a Tucson standard for many years and with good reason! Their food is consistently good and they have very pleasant servers. Be sure to have a cheese tostada for an appetizer!

Reviewed June 28, 2012

Recently took my boys out to lunch to thank them for doing some extra chores. Chose Club 21 as it's close to my work. I had gone back and forth between them and La Parilla Suiza....wish i had chosen the latter;

We arrived about 12:30...seated quickly by the hostess but that's all that was quick. Took them about 10 min to return for our orders....and it was the hostess again. She was very nice but out of her usual comfort zone you could tell. We cd see there was a large group being served in the back room as they kept coming in and out and passing by our table which was right by the entrance hall to the restrooms. (Why? There was plentyi of other tables)
I have two teenage sons who were so hungry (of course aren't they always??) but i had to admit i was feeling badly after 10 min...then 15...then 20 and still no food. We didn't have a complicated order. The Hostess refilled our chips and said "they had a large group here so they were quite busy." I understand but I also could tell that they had made reservations so they didn't plan ahead for this?
At any rate, teh food finally arrived.....no soup with my taco salad ever arrived. The plates were hot of course. The food was mediocre The taco salad was small and with a very small amt of chicken. The carne asado burro was not as good as "viva burrito" (per my teenager) and the "del sol chimi tasted like pot roast" per the other son. ANd then of course it took forever to get our check.....i finally had to send the boys on to their next appointment and I waited more.....Finally went up to get the check and she had to do it while i waited.
(The large group had since left)

Total for the lunch for 3 was like $35. For nothing special, not even a good experience. Could have gone to a local "fast food" type mexican rest for 1/2 of that and had better food.
THIS is why i don't go out to eat often anymore. It's expensive. It's not all that great. And, I was VERY late getting back to work!

Reviewed October 9, 2011

This is a nice family owned and operated restaurant. Prices are reasonable and the portions are plentiful. This place has been around for years so don't let the ambience fool you. Its a great place for a quick bite with family and friends. Service is friendly, selections are are more than adequate and the food is good!