“Best Mexican Food”

Good for: Large groups, Families with children
tucson
“Best Mexican Food”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I am the fourth of 5 generations that have been going to Molinas. I started going as a little girl
(a few years after it opened) and have continued as an adult ( going there to eat over 50 years). It is my favorite restaurant in Tucson! The food is wonderful (especially the cheese crisp and tacos) and the staff is very friendly. It doesn't matter how busy they are, you don't wait long and the food comes out quickly and hot!
It is located close to my mom's house, so we go often. It has the best salsa, so be sure to take some home!

• Visited September 2012

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Family Favorite for 40 years+”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Molina's Midway is a classic Tucson Mexican restaurant with the best Green Corn Tamales (when in season) - Hot Salsa - Butter Crisps or Cheese Crisps - Tacos - Tostadas -Enchiladas - and great specials for food and drinks. I was raised coming here when on vacation visiting grandparents, and, we are still coming back here with our kids. Only disappointment is when the Green Corn Tamales are out of season. So many places come and go or change their recipes - thank goodness Molina's Midway has stuck with their traditional style of cooking :)

• Visited August 2012
Melbourne, Florida
“Disappointing”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

This used to be a favorite. The cheese crisps and green corn tamales were great, but our meal was delivered and our server disappeared. One of our diners hadn't even ordered, yet. I saw our watress in the kitchen so I went to put in the order, as it was clear we weren't going to see her. She saw me and went around the corner. Fortunately, another server helped us. Of course, seconds on water or drinks were not to be. Sorry that I convinced my family we should go there. Never again.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank cainmac
Tucson, Arizona
“There is better Mexican food in Tucson”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We ate here with an online coupon deal - $50 worth of food for $20. Not a bad deal, but the food was only worth about $20.
The nachos grande were good. The margaritas were so-so. They were a bit watered down. My chili relleno was horribly greasy. The cheese enchilada was decent. My husband had a beef burro that was very dry. The beans and rice were decent.
The restaurant was also very hot. It felt like they only had swamp coolers running which doesn't work during the rainy season.
A similar (and probably related) restaurant Casa Molina is just 2 miles east of there and has much better food and drinks.

• Visited July 2012
San Diego, California
“Still great 40 years later!”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Dinner at Molina's Midway was a family favorite until I moved away in 1972. In town over the weekend, I wondered if it was still worth a visit. Yes, it was! Start with a cheese crisp. A thin crispy flour tortilla covered in melted cheese and any number of other delicious toppings. We stayed with an old favorite adding only green chilies. If you don’t like really spicy salsa, go ahead and get the bowl of stewed tomatoes offered. You add some of the salsa to this to cut the hot and still keep the great flavor. I had the chimichanga stuffed with red chili (beef) and it was absolutely delicious! Mom had the carne seca burrito (dried beef remoistened with chilies, tomatoes, etc.) She loved it but, agreed you have to have a taste for it. I thought it was delicious, too. Also had a chili relleno at our table and it was very good. The décor is simple, the service excellent; a wonderful neighborhood place . . . where you can always come home! Thank you, Molina’s Midway, for helping to make our trip back memorable.

• Visited July 2012