“Great place for convention”

JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lubbock, Texas
“Great place for convention”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Stayed here in mid-July for a convention and enjoyed it immensely! Extremely clean & comfortable guest rooms, and overall the resort had a very relaxing environment. I personally appreciated the excellent fitness center & up-to-date equipment - cool moist towels were a nice touch, as well as complimentary apples after workout. Witnessed a mama javelina & her baby outside my balcony, as well as some other wildlife. I'd bring my family back in a heartbeat to enjoy the amenities. Nothing like sitting outside on a summer night and watching lightning in the distance from this location, or relaxing by the pool w/a nice cold beverage (poolside servers were top notch, even though it was extremely hot). Conference food was actually pretty good as well, if just a tiny bit spicy for some of my fellow convention-goers (didn't bother me!). My one and only gripe is the charge for wifi in the guest rooms. I have stayed in much lesser hotels that did not - it strikes me as very odd that a place this nice would not include that as a value-added, complimentary amenity.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 29, 2014

This was our second stay at the Starr Pass Marriott. Aour first visit, it was better than we could imagine. The location is far enough for tucson to feel out of the way, but close enought so that it I was not a trek when we wanted to go into tucson, for family visits, shopping or other activities. Our room was beautiful with a view of the desert from our balcony. I unlike other places we have stayed there was plenty of room. The food was fabulous - enough so that on this trip we did not go to Cafe Poca Cosa, a usual required meal when we visit Tucson, as we found the food here to be of similar or better quality.
The facilities are fabulous, three different pools (my favorite is the lazy river), areas through the inside and outside of the hotel where you can sit and read, talk with friends, or just enjoy the view. The gym is well equipped, not only with aerobic equipment, but also with free weights and weight machines. They even provide complimentary earbuds for you to use.
There rare many more things I could mention, guided nature hikes each morning, ice water infused with cucumber in the lobby and at the pools, that all indicate the thought that is given to making sure everyone has a great stay.
Most importantly the staff here truly go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable and enjoying your stay. Everyone always greets you with a smile, even when just passing in the hallways. Our server at the signature grill, Trisk, along with Kathy and Jessica both hostesses at get signature grill, even remembered us from our stay a year ago and greeted us warmly.
I hope we will have the opportunity to return here many times in the future.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are great. You might want to think about whether you want a city view or a des...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Ellen D
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed July 27, 2014

My family took a "staycation" a few weekends ago at this Starr Pass Resort. It was beyond relaxing and the pool side service was excellent (thanks Holly at plunge)! The gym was great, the built in Starbucks was a pleasant surprise, and the lounging areas were very comfortable and homey. I look forward to returning!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Courtney H
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

Overall our stay was amazing as usual. The staff is always friendly and accommodating. Once we pulled up we were greeted by Mitchell (Valet). And he was be yo friendly. Then Eugene (Bell) was friendly and accommodating when he brought our luggage to the room. He even went out of his way to get us ice for our room. Last but not least I would like to mention Nayanna (front desk) as we were checking out she was very understanding of an issue o was not happy about. We stayed in one of the parlor suites and the refrigerator was broken. I called to the front desk and all I got was the run around and they were not able to help correct the issue until the next day. Nayanna was beyond understanding.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Roman M
Seattle
Reviewed July 27, 2014

The JW at Starr Pass combines my favorite things in one place. It has a terrific location which borders the desert park and yet is 10 minutes from the Univ of Arizona campus. There are tons of hiking trails where you will see desert wildlife including lizards, deer, javelina, and birds. They have a really awesome patio that looks over the city and every evening they host a free tequila tasting while they tell the famous legend of Pancho Villa. After the toast, you can roast marshmallows at one of the open fire pits. And, you cannot forget to visit their award-winning BBQ restaurant at the Golf Course. There is a shuttle that will take you from the hotel. It's delicious and we've been there dozens of times. To me, this hotel is Tucson.

Room Tip: Have stayed in all sides. There are city and desert views. Just depends on your preference
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank dinka03
Tucson
Reviewed July 26, 2014

The resort was perfect for a family get away, the staff is amazing! The pool side service was the best part, holly truly did care about out comfort and made sure we were having a great time, she was very personable!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Caitlyn_nh1
Vail, Arizona
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We hosted a one day company event at the pool and my family decided to stay the weekend. From the valet, to the front desk (thanks Amy), to the bell boy, to the pool staff (thanks Britt, Francesca, Jennifer), to the restaurant servers, to the cleaning staff, I can honestly say that I can't remember any facility caring about their guests as much. I've stayed at all the resorts in Tucson and Starr Pass supersedes any expectations! The staff genuinely cares if you are comfortable and having a great time. My company is having our Christmas party there and we all can't wait! Thank you everyone, we will be back!

Room Tip: We had the corner room on the top floor with a sliding glass door balcony (you can't walk out on...
Green Features: They have signs up in the rooms explaining how environmental they are.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business