“very very nice resort with great views ! ! !”

JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersSilver level
New Mexico
“very very nice resort with great views ! ! !”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

very very nice resort with great views ! ! !
This place is Outstanding they have one of the Gem Shows here & its great,we come here a lot it sets back out awway from everything so it is a nice get away !

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 22, 2014

When I am staying at a JW Marriott, I expect a higher level of luxury, comfort and service. This hotel seemed like any average Marriott. The room was clean but simple. I was not "wowed". Also, I had to stand in the bathtub and use the full length mirror on that wall to put on my makeup because there was no magnifying mirror. When I checked in, the front desk clerk took nearly 10 minutes to explain the property to me, where the restaurants were located and how to get to my room. I have been to a hotel before so I really didn't need this level of detail. I will give them credit for having a full Starbucks on site. And the fitness center was very nice with windows and a view. You are pretty much stuck out there if you don't have a car so we had to eat at the Signature Grill several times. The food was fine but nothing spectacular. I did like the BBQ restaurant at the golf course. The SW salad with chicken was fantastic. I'd definitely recommend going there for a meal. But you do have to take the hotel shuttle there and back. If this was just a regular branded Marriott this would be a rave but if you are branding it with the JW in front of it, I expect luxury and this did not really deliver on that promise.

2 Thank Joyce S
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Ms. Joyce:

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience at our resort. We sincerely value your review of our property. I too find it unfortunate that your sense of luxury was not experienced on this stay.

The JW Marriott brand caters to today’s sophisticated, self-assured travelers, offering them quiet luxury in a warmly authentic, relaxed atmosphere lacking in pretense. Our properties provide highly crafted, anticipatory experiences that are reflective of their locale, so that guests have the time to focus on what is most important to them. Thank you for providing us valuable feedback and allowing us to learn and grow from this experience.

Chad Lybrook
Guest Relations Manager
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed January 19, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a 5 day stay at this beautiful resort. The weather was just perfect for some beautiful desert hikes with just stunning cactus everywhere. The hotel itself had such an inviting patio and common areas. It really made you want to come and linger and spend some time in the open areas. To top off this wonderful visit, we had a front desk clerk that just went above and beyond being helpful to us, Antonio Moreno. Each time he saw us, he greeted us like family and asked what else he could do to make us comfortable. He is warm and genuinely interested in our experience. It's employees like Toni that will bring us back again. We highly recommend this hotel!

Petaluma, California
Reviewed January 19, 2014

This hotel is in an idyllic location: in a mountain pass with thousands of saguaros, and perhaps, some of the most beautiful Sonoran desert in the world. The public spaces take advantage of the great views. The staff is accommodating and southwest friendly. I was there during a large meeting, and the service staff could not keep up. after an hour wait for room service from the Italian restaurant, it was 9:30 PM and walked down to the Southwestern style restaurant to order. To their credit, they delivered within 15 minutes but the hot entrees were cold. (They did comp me). I went to the fancy gym/spa 3 times, and on each occasion the 3 elliptical machines (the only equipment I use because of arthritic knees), they were occupied. I stayed in Marriotts for > 50 nights last year, and the internet at Starr Pass was the most finicky. I know; a small thing, but the alarm went off at 0430 in my first morning and the clock was 14 minutes fast. House keeping should check these things in a $300/night resort. Last, the plumbing "gurgled" all day and night. I had to close the bathroom door to get to sleep. I have to say the managers on duty were very nice; they recognized that the limits were being tested and overextended.I am a Marriot frequent stayer, and the GM gave me 30k points, enough for a free night there. I did attend a private catered dinner while I was there, and the food was fabulous (huge scallops, delicate lamb chops, 20/lb. shrimp)much better than I got from room service. I certainly would go to this place again, but I would not stay if there was a concurrent convention.

Room Tip: The hotel is nicely situated to maximize the views. I had a room facing the front of the property on...
Green Features: I thought they were pretty middle-of-the-road: towels, sheets can be saved.
3 Thank jpointer
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed January 17, 2014

This is a lovely hotel outside of Tucson, with saguaros surrounding it, and a great view of the city from the patio and pool. You are only 20 minutes from the city but it feels much further away. The staff was friendly and helpful. The food was very good at the restaurant. The best part of the hotel is the outside patio with the fire pits and view. A great getaway.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed January 16, 2014

For the 2nd consecutive year Amber & I stayed at the Starr Pass Resort & attended Rick's NYE Jazz Party. This was the 8th year for Rick Braun's NYE Jazz Party. A silent auction for the benefit of Tucson Alliance for Autism began the evening. 500+ jazz lovers enjoyed a 5 course dinner, pre concert music by the Tucson Jazz Institute's Ellington Band & Crystal Stark, great jazz by Rick and his guest Mindi Abair, Norman Brown and Elliott Yamin, a midnight champaign toast & balloon drop and dancing, dancing & more dancing! WOW, what a great evening.
The Starr Pass Resort is an awesome venue located in Tucson's southwest desert. We enjoyed an afternoon in the hot tube and pool and joining with other guest for The Legend of Arriba, Abajo Toast (nightly at 5:30pm @ the fire pit deck).
If you enjoy uptempo live jazz, good food, meeting other jazz lovers and enjoying resort activities during a very cold winter in much of the U.S. you must come to Tucson and experience this great NYE event.
Hope to see you in southern Arizona on Dec 31st, 2014!

Room Tip: Rooms facing south look out over the deck, pool and the desert beyond with a beautiful sunset. North...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SMLeek69
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Does not get any better then this place.
If you enjoy walks, or jogging outside, that is the place for you. Location and views are just breath taking. It is one of the best JW I ever stayed in. Staff, rooms, were perfect.
This place is located outside of the city, so you don't get any city traffic or noise. I would love to go back there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for the headline of “This is it”, a short and heartfelt review of the property. It sounds like the perfect escape while you were our guest! Anytime you want to escape the Windy City, Starr Pass will welcome your return!

Kind Regards,