“A Great Getaway”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
“A Great Getaway”
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

Located about a half-hour from the Tucson airport, this facility is the tops. From the moment of check-in to the time we checked out, every single Marriot Starr Pass employee went out if his/her way to be helpful. Questions were answered, folks were never too busy and we're never rude- always the friendliest! One employee that stands out is a young man by the name of Jude- a delightful and very helpful employee! Our "king" room was large, modern and very clean. Restaurants were good, though a bit "pricey." The Native-American white sage ceremony performed by Larry Red House, each morning was both inspiring and rejuvenating. Having an airport shuttle pickup provided by the hotel would be a welcome addition to the many pluses this hotel offers. Also, the $25 charge the hotel tacks on to each night is a bit much and should be eliminated! Overall, this facility is quite good and is highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (567)
Washington DC
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I think the hotel is more beautiful than the online photos show. It is a gorgeous property, very clean with wonderful touches.
OVERALL: It's a beautiful place to be, it smells wonderful and everywhere you go there are glass water jugs with a variety of light flavorings such as cucumber, tree fruit and pineapple and mint. There are several restaurants and I had a wonderful chicken salad on multigrain bread with homemade chips outside in the shade at Plunge. There's a nice Starbucks one level down from the lobby. There are a couple of cute shops on site with Starr Pass attire and gifts. While we were there they offered a complimentary tequila toast every day at 5:30. There are many comfy outdoor spaces to lounge on couches and in chairs with or without fire. It's peaceful and heavenly! The golf course looked nice and they were setting up for weddings while I was there.
ROOM: The room was very clean, elegant and spacious with wonderful linens, bed, television, giant, clean, beautiful bath with separate shower and big tub, nice-smelling lotions/shampoos, blow dryer. A/C worked well. It was nice and quiet.
POOLS: They have at least three pool areas: a nice big double pool with plenty of chairs, umbrellas and a towel cabana; a lazy river that I didn't try but it looked like lots of fun; and a small pool off the spa area.
SPA: I loved this spa. I had the best massage I've ever had. When I came out, there were three other clients who all said they, too, had had the best massage they'd ever had. I highly recommend! It's 50 minutes for $150 (they add in the service). It smells wonderful in there and there's also a whirlpool, steam room, showers, lockers. Once you purchase a service you can come and go all day and use the amenities while you're working out, between pool visits, whatever. There's a nice workout room and fitness/yoga type room. They provide towels, robes, blow dryers, hairbrushes, combs, shampoo, creme rinse, sunscreen. There are all kinds of special touches such as hot tea and nuts to snack on, water and iced tea, and a pot pours bar where you're invited to fill a small bag with cinnamon, lavender, anise stars, white sage or whatever you want. (There's also a salon for manicures, pedicures, hair, but I didn't try those services.) The customer service is very nice!
MISC:
I began the day by taking advantage of the complimentary hike offered at 6am nearby. It wasn't much exercise, more a botanical tour, we probably went about 1/2 mile in 45 minutes, but I enjoyed it very much. You can sign up with the tour company for other hikes, bike adventures, etc, or just hike the 1-1/2 mile loop by yourself
Right after the hike every morning, they do a brief Indian prayer ceremony which was very enlightening and charming. I enjoyed that a lot, too.
Someone mentioned a complimentary yoga class on the back lawn at 7:30a so I rushed to that next, it was a nice class, not too hard, not too easy.
Then a massage and I heard there was zumba at 11am and I took that class, too. Again it was okay for beginners. Nice instructors!
COMMENTS;
My only tiny constructive comments are: I think WiFi should be complimentary. It's pretty expensive, I think like $16 for 24 hrs. You can get it free in the lobby and Starbucks, though. Also, the front desk ladies were very nice but they didn't mention certain activities and when I heard about some things and asked, they didn't know (for ex I asked what exercise/fitness classes were offered). I asked if there was a master sheet that showed everything and the young lady said, "what would you like to know?" and I said well, I'd just like to see everything that's offered, don't you have a list of some kind? She told me there should be one in my room and I told her there wasn't one, but she didn't offer to provide me one and I kind of had to pry it out of her hands, maybe they were running out. I just think a lot more people might have wanted to take yoga and zumba etc if they had known. I also heard another guest say the front desk told her the hike was at 6:15 (instead of 6a) so she was late and missed it. Maybe the whole list should be provided and pointed to upon check in. It looks like there's a lot to do.
SUMMARY:
I can't imagine anyone wouldn't be pleased with this property for atmosphere, cleanliness, activities, space, elegance and appearance. I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: If you want a view, ask--my room looked out over the parking lot area but I'm sure there were ni...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Mushroom1234
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This was our wedding night, we parked in the garage closest to our room. Coming from our ceremony we had a car full of presents, cameras, custom made cake topper bouquet and glasses. We left this stuff in our vehicle for the night so we could have OUR evening. When we returned it was all gone. We went to security, filled out a police report online and were told my the hotel staff that because we did not use the valet parking that there was nothing they would do. NOTHING other than, were very sorry for your loss. That day was ruined filling out reports and bing interviewed by the Star Pass staff only to be told, there are no cameras in that area, there are 30+ in the valet parking garage and since there are none and you did not pay for parking we have no responsibility for that area, sorry.

That night we were sent a bottle of wine, almonds and cupcake with a nice note to some other guest. Thanks Star Pass for thinking of us during this heart breaking time.

When we returned home the hotel Loss Prevention called us again to inform us that there was noting that they would do other than send us a letter for our insurance company stating that they were not responsible for that area.

A little kindness would have changed the entire day, but Star Pass had none. The tone was they didnt even care and we were just another bother.

I would never go back.

Room Tip: DONT PARK IN THE COMPLEMENTARY SELF PARKING WE HAD OUR CAR BORKEN INTO. There are no cameras in the...
8 Thank iwren
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. On behalf of the hotel I would like to extend an apology to you for the unfortunate experience you had while staying with us. I can only imagine how disheartening it was – especially during one of the most important times of your lives. I understand that upon notification of your incident our manager on duty and loss prevention officer were able to respond and assist you. Our Loss Prevention department provided your contact information to the Marriott Claims department and I have been informed that Marriott Claims has been in contact with you to review the matter. Again, I apologize for the unfortunate experience and I do hope you will allow us an opportunity to welcome you back to our resort in the future.

Warm regards,

Chad Lybrook
Guest Relations Manager
Memphis, TN.
Reviewed September 26, 2013

My husband I stayed here for a week and enjoyed every minute. The location and grounds are beautiful and the staff without exception were amazing. We especially enjoyed the early morning Native American prayer ritual as a wonderful way to start each relaxing day. Another unique offering was the complimentary tequila shot on the terrace accompanied by the telling of a legendary love story. Our stay was all and more than we could imagine.

1 Thank pjwenzel
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We recently stayed attending a wedding in downtown Tucson. Upon arrival at the front desk - we were offered yummy flavored water! The outside area is very comfortable and the staff are on the ready to bring you a new beverage.

Our room was very clean, and the bed mattress was very comfortable! No issues with towels, or bathroom essentials. I recommend scooping up an extra bottle of the amazing lotion!

Although this trip was for my wife and I. They have an amazing pool and lazy river! The lazy river is accompanied by a water slide for kids of all ages!

You will not be disappointed, with either a couples romantic stay or a family visit!

Room Tip: Ask for a non parking lot view - the view can be amazing!
Phoenix
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Took husband to Tucson for a pre-birthday getaway at JW Marriott Starr Pass. Driving up to the hotel, the view is amazing. From the moment you are greeted at the front door, the staff is friendly, helpful and very well trained in providing quality customer service. Our room had a beautiful view of the pool and city. It had a balcony but the ledge was a bit high. Would suggest putting taller chairs on this balcony so you can sit and really enjoy the views. We loved the nightly tequila toasts at Salud. Ate at three of the restaurants and food was good. My personal favorite part was the lazy river - very relaxing!

1 Thank 859cherylj
Wyoming, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Pros: I can't say enough good things about the resort. Clean, friendly, good food, wonderful amenities. We loved the lazy river. Nice hiking trails. A little removed from civilization, but that's what we wanted.

Cons: pools can be a little loud at points, but I think that would be better described as poor parenting. $16.95 a day for Internet? Thank God my provider at home doesn't charge this way. Way too much.

I would definitely recommend to others.

• Stayed September 2013