“Beautiful!”

JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed at Starr Pass for a conference and was delighted with the resort. First, the service is everything I have come to expect from a JW Marriott: friendly, conscientious and devoted. Everyone in the resort made sure I was happy. Second, the room was clean, newly renovated and comfortable. The bathroom was huge with lots of counter space. Third, the view was spectacular. This was my first trip to Tucson, and I was taken by surprise at how beautiful it is.

The resort has several pools. The lazy river is very popular but I liked sitting under an umbrella at the main pool. There is food and beverage service there. I had a house salad with shrimp for lunch one day, and it was really good and way more than I expected. The Cadillac margarita is also yummy.

A shoutout for a great bartender: Jose at the Salud bar was excellent. Not only did he recommend for me a delicious drink (the Hibiscus refresher), but when a guest said he really enjoyed a beer from one of the restaurants the night before, Jose offered to get the guest that beer if he didn't like any of the choices on tap at Salud. I was very impressed with that offer. The service overall at Salud was attentive but not intrusive. And you can have s'mores by the fire pits out there -- a ton of fun! They also do a nightly tequila tasting at 5:30 (free).

The only thing at all lacking with this property is the fitness center. It truly needs upgraded cardio equipment and more of it. The cardio equipment has to be at least 10 years old. And if the fitness center advertises that classes are available, there should be more than one per day.

Those quibbles aside, overall, this was a fantastic location for a conference. And if I were headed to Tucson again, I would hope to be staying here.

Room Tip: Try to get one with a view. If you are attending a conference, try to be in building 6, which was a...

Reviewed August 14, 2013

The staff was incredible at handling all of our needs from the conference for business to the personal needs during our relaxation time. The Spa was a wonderful experience for my wife and I enjoyed a few rounds of golf during the trip.

Room Tip: I had colleagues throughout the resort and can't imagine any negatives about any of the rooms.
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed at the JW off season at a reduced rate and really enjoyed our visit. The staff was one of the best, from the pool attendant at the lazy river who was willing to find us wherever we drifted to in order to deliver our drinks, a front staff that always responded immediately and effectively, and the over the top concierge in responding to our questions. Rooms were great. It doesn't matter the view. They are all great. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Cindy A
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This is the third JW Marriott I have stayed at, and it did not disappoint. Even with my high expectations, this place was amazing in every way. Each and every staff member we interacted with was extremely courteous and professional...from the bellman who brought us ice water while checking in to the bartender who was always helpful and prompt.

The rooms and grounds were spectacular, as was the pool. My kids especially loved the water slide while my wife and I enjoyed floating the lazy river.

Even the onsite restaurant exceeded expectations. This is one of the only hotel restaurants I have ever been to that I would seek out even if I weren't at the hotel. Exceptional food and top notch service.

Thank you, JW Marriott for a wonderful stay.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Marriott knows how to do hotels and instill top notch service, but some properties are in a class by themselves and Starr Pass is one of the very best I've had the pleasure of staying in anywhere. It's a bit off the beaten track from Tucson itself, but worth the few extra minutes to venture up Starr Pass to this absolute oasis in the desert. The architecture and sunset views are simply breathtaking and the staff knows how to make your stay memorable from the sunset Tequila Toast to Pancho Villa to the intimate outside seating options to well appointed rooms. This place has to be seen to be believed!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed here for a professional conference and it was such a treat! The accommodations were lovely in well appointed rooms. The food at all of the restaurants is incredible! We loved every meal and ate at the Signature Grill, the BBQ restaurant at the golf course (enjoyed the best pulled pork of my life...they've won awards for their BBQ!!), Tequila bar, etc. Be sure to treat yourself to the daily resort traditions, such as the tequila toast, morning hike through the mountains and Native American spiritual ritual. You will also want to enjoy the wonderful pools and lazy river! I had the best facial of my life at the Spa, big thanks to Karen for making me feel and look like a million bucks!! You can't go wrong if you choose to stay at JW Marriott Starr Pass!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stayed here for few days on business. The grounds are beautiful and the hotel is really nice. The rooms could use some renovating as several small things were broken. Shower door would not close properly, fixtures coming off, but overall it was ok. I understand the hotel will undergo renovation later this year. probably a good thing.

the restaurants were really good with the buffet being very plentiful. the barbque place was fantastic and all the staff was wonderful. the italian place was good too. there is really no where else to eat around the area of the hotel.

The lazy river looked really nice but didnt get a chance to enjoy it. the slide looked fun as well.

Overall, a nice place to get away if you are from the area or visiting on business.