“This JW needs a Renovation”

JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersSilver level
Alamogordo, New Mexico
“This JW needs a Renovation”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We are fans of the JW Marriott properties ( I am a silver elite member and I mostly stay in Marriott properties) and this one is a great place to stay but could use some TLC. First of all let me say that the views are magnificent at night looking into Tucson. The staff, as always, is excellent. We were taken care of from the front desk to the pool to the Primo restaurant.

I was a bit surprised at the state of the room though. The carpets are in need of attention, the leather chair by the bed had a long gash in it, and the toilet smelled like someone had missed and it hadn't been cleaned. I brought this last item up to the desk as I was checking out and received apologies. It just seemed as if the cleaning staff hadn't been as thorough as I'm used to in this class of hotel. It is a really nice property but it does need a reno and some TLC in the rooms to get it back up to the level of a JW. I left a comment card detailing some of these items for mgmt to look into.

The Primo restaurant was expensive but worth it IMO. The only nit I had about that was that the server's assistant outshone the server by a zillion. Not sure why they do it this way as I think we saw our server three times the whole evening. The assistant brought our drinks and bread, kept our glasses refilled, and someone else brought our dinners out to us. The place was empty so not sure why the server was so absent. The only reason I tipped her at all was because I wanted to make sure the assistant was taken care and thinking back on it I should have just tipped her separately. I probably would just skip the restaurant the next time around and go into town to find a place with a bit better service and a much cheaper price.

Room Tip: Take advantage of the bell hops to get your luggage to your room the walk from the guest parking and...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear Marriott Elite Member:

Thank you for taking time to share about your latest experience at the JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa. We sincerely value your personalized perspective about your recent experience, and I apologize that your experience did not exceed the expectations of excellence from a JW Marriott resort. Your concerns about the cleanliness and service have been communicated to leaders of those areas. The housekeeping team has communicated out your concerns about the cleanliness and will continue to focus on a pristine commode. The resort has an extensive “Rejuvenation” scheduled for the summer of 2013 that will bring an authentic look to our rooms and corridors. As a Marriott Rewards Elite Member, we look forward to your return and the opportunity to make a lasting impression on your next visit. If there is anything else that I may be of assistance, please feel free to contact me directly at chad.lybrook@marriott.com

Chad Lybrook

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
Minneapolis
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We are big fans of JW properties. This stay we received a large credit for food as well as credit for the Starbucks at the resort. That was a nice bonus that we put to good use. During our stay one of the activities offered was star gazing on the lawn with some very powerful telescopes. This was a big hit with the family! We were disappointed with the staff's ability to keep up with the large crowds for the weekend and keep things tidy. The staff was hard working, but it was not up to our usual experience at JW properties. The hotel was completely full, and our room was a tight squeeze, but the property is beautiful. This is a good choice if you are in the Tucson area.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Andrewr077
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed June 21, 2013

This is one beautiful property! Great customer service, spa experience and walking trails surrounding the property. Kitchen staff was very accommodating! I don't play golf, but my husband said it was great, too!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Virginia
Reviewed June 19, 2013

This was one of the worst resort experiences I have ever had! We arrived early and our rooms weren't ready, so we decided to go to the Salud lounge downstairs and have a few drinks while we waited. I ordered a drink but my wife and kids did not want anything at that time. While I still had over half of a full glass, the waitress came over twice to check on us. Once I finished my drink I sat the glass on the table in clear view of waitress waiting for her to come to see if I needed anything else. She passed by our table several times but never stopped. By this time my wife wanted a drink as well but the waitress never stopped to service us again, finally I grew tired of waiting and went to the bar myself. I did notify management and they had another waitress service us but we departed shortly afterwards because our rooms were ready. Later that evening, my wife and I went down to Salud to have some food and drinks, while the service was much better, the food was terrible. We had the Oaxaca Cheese Nachos, which were not very good, the Braised Beef Birria tacos, which were edible, and the Chipotle Chicken Tacos, which were extremely dry. The chicken was so dry that adding salsa did not even help. Finally, the parking was horrendous; we ended up parking on the street that runs around the resort.

2 Thank Terrance T
Dear Valued Guest:

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your experience at the resort. Like you, I am very disappointed with the shortcomings in your Salud experience throughout your stay. We strive to provide an excellent experience for all of our guests. Clearly, in this case, our performance was far below standards. We are taking appropriate steps to address all the issues noted in your comments. Thank you for allowing us to recover. I certainly appreciate your thoughts and position.

Kind regards,

Guest Relations Manager
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Awesome place. I loved sitting out on the veranda in the evening sipping wine with the husband. The resort is large and accomodating!

They have a nice walk around the hotel grounds and a lazy river, which we unfortunately didn't get to use at the time we were there. This hotel is also very close to the Desert Museum which is why we picked to stay there.

We will definitely go back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Stayed here with my family in a king suite. The room is huge, with a separate bedroom for the king bed and a pull out in the living room. Bathroom has a giant shower, separate room for the toilet and a regular size tub. Two robes to use, lots of good shampoos, creams, sewing kit, the illusive and highly prized shoehorn... We were on the ground floor with two patios and steps from the lazy river. No need to grab a pool chair when you are this close. Best location in the hotel for pool access. Beds were insanely comfortable. Pillows were teeny but still good. A/C was quiet. Small fridge for chilling your drinks.

Staff was wonderfully friendly, every single one. Valet for the car was fast and easy. Resort fee included free meals for all three of my kids ( 11, 9 & 3) so I totally had no issue with it at all. Wifi and breakfast were included in our rate as well but I think that may have been a package.

Ate dinner at the signature grill outside at sunset. Food was yummy, they brought water non stop, and staff was delightful.

Pools were perfect for kids and parents alike. Lazy river had lots of tubes and you were allowed to float and sip your drink which does not suck!

At night a group of javelinas were along side the lazy river grazing as bats flew overhead. It was awesome and we could cross the zoo off our to do list!

Our room was a bit on the very dusty side so housekeeping was the only thing lacking. We did enjoy drawing faces in the dust so that is something, I guess.

Overall, not counting housekeeping, it was perfection. We would return in a heartbeat.
One star off for housekeeping's lack of housekeeping

Room Tip: 3316 is the room to get if you are hitting the pools hard!
1 Thank Kareika
Terrebonne, Canada
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed 1 night before going to the Ritz-Carlton Dove Mountain and we were very disappointed with the room that we had. We booked a Luxury Suite that has a living room with a Queen Murphy bed and a separate bedroom. The living room was filthy, the carpet had dirt all over and when we looked under our feet, they were getting black! Called to complained and couldn't get another room since they were sold out, they told us that their renovation is starting next month and they couldn't wait until it was completed. Our room was comped because of that and I was happy with that.

The only reason I'm not giving a terrible rating is because of the rest of the property, The lobby is very nice and the pools are very beautiful. We also had breakfast in their restaurant which was a very nice buffet.

As an Elite member for Marriott, I had free access to the spa facilities which had a very quiet pool which we loved! If we're in the area after the renovation are done, we will probably try the resort again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank martinbutler888
Dear Marriott Rewards Member:

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at the resort. We strive to provide an excellent experience for all of our guests. Clearly, in this case, our performance was far below standards. We are taking pertinent steps to address all the issues noted in your comments. I certainly appreciate your thoughts and position.

Kind regards,