“Desert Oasis” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Trinity
“Desert Oasis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

I recently attended a conference at this hotel and it is a great property. I do not understand the reviews stating the rooms are tired and old. My room was excellent and the furnishings were in great shape. The hallway carpeting is in need of cleaning, but the room was good. Extremely helpful and friendly staff.
A special recognition to the Audio/video team particularly Anthony. He assisted with every need and was always smiling. I would stay here again for business or leisure.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Ryan K
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for sharing your experience, as it is always nice to receive feedback from a seasoned traveler. It was a joy to share your comments with our associates, and especially to notify Anthony of your kind words. Mr. Anthony defiantly embodies the spirit of the JW Marriott and Starr Pass and I am glad the he was able to take care of your needs. We look forward to your return and thank you for reviewing the JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa.

Chad Lybrook

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

hotel was in need of maintenance & updating. Well used furniture and old paint. The hot banquet buffet food was cold and fair. Other Marriott resorts I find to be much better. The resort is very secluded. Nice pools.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank gary c
San Anselmo, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We took 14 guys to Starr Pass for a 5 day golf trip from May 1 to May 5 and had a blast. The resort is beutiful, the staff freindly and helpful, rooms large and comfortable and finally the 3 nines were a pleasure to play.

This was our 6th annual trip and we have always gone to different places each year, but for the first time, everyone in the group voted to come back to Starr Pass next year.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your response on your past stay, I am ecstatic to hear that you loved your experience. It is an honor to read that your annual trip will include a comeback tour next year. Please let us know if we may be of assistance in making any arrangements for you and your friends. We look forward to your return and thank you for the exciting 5-Star review.

Riverside, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I recently had a 2 night stay at the JW Marriott in Tucson and was really impressed by the beauty and very nice appointments throughout the hotel. The room was large and spacious - and the bedding was excellent as I expected.
The disappointment for me was in ordering room service. I tried to call twice to place and order and held for an average of 5 minutes calling in twice in a row. It has an automated response that initially picks up. I would prefer the experience of a live person answering the call to let me know that there are other orders being taken, rather than an automated system that directs me to hold.
I expect more of a personal touch from a JW Marriott level of stay.
I would recommend the hotel overall. I just wouldn't wait until your actually hungry to place your in room service for dining. The food that came ultimately was okay. Nothing to write home about.
The other thing that I would note is that the entry/exit is not automated doors. So if you have multiple pieces of luggage and no one is at the door to help you - your on your own for manipulating the door and your multiple pieces (probably more a concern for a woman than a man).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Myparlady
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to rate your experiences at the resort. We sincerely appreciate your four-star rating and I would like to inform you that we will take measures to address your shortcomings. Furthermore, on your return visit you will receive the personalized luxury service you have come to expect from the JW Marriott brand of hotels and resorts. Upon reading your review, I notified our In-Room Dining Manager about your experience and they will review the staffing levels to ensure that experience is not a constant. Secondly, I informed the Front Office Manager of your concerns about the entrance doors and we will also review the staffing and share your experience with the Guest Experience Attendants. I truly apologize that you did not experience a flawless experience and we are fortunate to have your viewpoint to correct these inadequacies. If there is anything else that I may be of assistance with, please feel free to contact me directly at chad.lybrook@marriott.com

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is an oasis out in the desert! It is beautiful! The staff was very friendly and helpful. They do a tequila happy hour toast to showcase the 100+ tequilas they have. There is a spa, a lap pool, play pools, waterslides and a lazy river. The rooms were very nice. Everything was clean and fresh. Our package gave us free breakfast each morning. All the food was good, however I highly recommend the tamale breakfast! The resort's not that far from town so you can easily drive in for shopping, dining,etc. Make sure you make it down to the early morning Native American ceremony - a very calming way to start the day!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JP627
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your feedback on your past stay, I am elated to hear that you experienced a “Wonderful Escape”. If you enjoyed the Mitakuye Oyasin morning ritual, you might also enjoy the morning hike that precedes the ritual. It is a great introduction to the flora and fauna of the Sonoran Desert. Thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to hosting your next visit to Tucson.

Warm regards,

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Recently spent a week at the JW Marriott Starr Pass. While the hotel has absolutely stunning views of Tucson, I was not impressed with the "hotel" portion of the resort. (I will write reviews of the restaurants, bar and spa separately.)

The Hotel:
I arrived late, and decided to valet my car. When I pulled under the portico, the valet greeted me and immediately told me it would be $20 per night. It was a little odd that this was the first thing he said ...typically, they ask if I am checking in, and if they can help with my bags. Neither happened, and I lugged my bags into the hotel myself.

While the valet was not impressive, the check-in process was prompt and friendly. I quickly got my keys and headed to my room.

When I arrived in my room, it was appointed with typical Marriott amenities. There were two things I immediately noticed upon arrival to my room. 1: There was a bright pink stain on the carpet between the beds. (nailpolish, maybe?); and 2: The bathroom was dusty/dirty. The shelf beside the tub was very dusty, and the shower did not appear to ever be wiped down. (Because of this, I did not use the shower the entire week.). Overall, it appeared that the room had not been used in a while.

In a nutshell, my room was not impressive, but I must say my balcony (and beautiful view of Tucson) was nice. Every night of my stay, I enjoyed a cup of coffee on my balcony. Quite relaxing!

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room with a view of Tucson. The view is outstanding!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to rate your experience at the resort. I sincerely apologize that your accommodations did not reflect what you expect and deserve at a JW Marriott Resort. Since reading your thorough review, I have communicated your concerns about your arrival experience with the Valet Manager. The Manager will revisit luxury arrival language with the associates, as well as share about your experience. Lastly, I have communicated your concerns to the Director of Housekeeping and she will address your observations, as well as communicate to our associates in their daily meeting. I sincerely regret that you did not receive a personalized experience, and we appreciate your feedback, as it allows us to reexamine our actions and gives us the opportunity to learn and develop. If there is anything else that I may be of assistance, please feel free to contact me directly at chad.lybrook@marriott.com

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

I ordered the Caesar salad with salmon. The food was delivered within two minutes of ordering and tasted like it was not cooked fresh. The salmon was not fresh and had zero flavor. The whole salmon was left on my plate, which should have been a sign to the waiter, and not even a question from the waiter about how it was. The waiter also mentioned the pork as gamey! Horrible experience and over priced. Do yourself a favor and go to Waffle House before arriving at this property.

Room was not clean upon arrival. Huge chunks of cookie or food material on the floor upon arrival.

Do yourself a favor and stay at the Ritz in Marana.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Ivorytips
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Please accept my apologies that your experience was anything less than exceptional. I will personally communicate your concerns with our Signature Grill Leadership Team. If you have any further comments or concerns, feel free to contact me at chad.lybrook@marriott.com