“Empty Promises”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Boulder, Colorado
“Empty Promises”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

When I arrived at the Marriott Starr Pass, I was expecting a view of the City of Tucson, since this is what I had paid extra for, and what a reservation agent told me I would have with the "Signature View" room. It was overlooking the pool. In addition, there was supposed to be a balcony in the pricier room, but when I opened the glass doors, it was not there, but just a six inch space between the doors and the railing. When I called the front desk to ask why I didn't get the room I had reserved, they said the clerk who checked me in made a mistake. Then I asked to talk to a manager who insisted that I DID have a "balcony" because the doors opened and that the clerk was "in training". When I asked her where the key to the mini bar was, she said someone would bring it up to my room, but it never arrived. By this time it was 9 pm and I was too tired to move since I was in a building far away from the registration desk and main building. They never apologized for giving me the "wrong" room. This is not a luxury resort. It's a hotel in a nice setting, but if you aren't lucky enough to get a room with a real view and and a real balcony, it's just mediocre. Room finishes were average, and the hotel is a long winding drive from the city. Not to be done at night, with the lack of street lights in Tucson due to the nearby observatories. Beware of empty promises on the Marriott Website. Don't pay for them, and don't walk to the remote buildings for a room with "city view" (building 6)- they won't be there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Legalinco
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your feedback on your past stay, I sincerely apologize that your experience fell short of your expectations. The associates at the JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa understand that attention to detail is extremely important, and I apologize that your stay did not exceed your expectations. We look forward to your return and the opportunity to surpass your expectations. Thank you for sharing about your experience.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (550)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 19, 2013

After our second stay here, can't say enough good things, other than its website does not do it justice. Only complaint was a very green waiter at Primo, the more upscale restaurant. Pool service and cleanliness outstanding. Breakfast buffet a bit pricey but you get a lot of food and options. Love the direct access to Tucson Mountain Park out the front door.

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your feedback on your past stay, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience. We look forward to your return and the opportunity to make a lasting impression on your next visit. Hopefully another Shooting Strarr Experience!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed March 18, 2013

The JW at Star Pass is a nice resort but it is clearly in need of some updates and improvements. I was pleasantly surprised that the front desk accommodated our request, made when we made the reservation, for adjoining rooms with the requested bed configurations (1 king & 2 queens). One room was ready when we checked in around 3:30 and the other room was not. Front desk associate took my cell # and said she would call when it was ready. Never got a call but when I went by the desk at 6pm they said it was ready. Bell staff was very friendly and helpful. Lazy River & Slide are kind of small but still fun. Water in the lazy river was at least 5 degrees colder than the water in the main pool. Chairs and umbrellas around the pools are in need of replacement. Slide shuts down at 5pm which is way too early especially considering it does not open until 11. Rooms are fairly large but are tired. The doors on the cabinet holding the TV just about fell off when the bellman opened them to show us the room. The luggage rack also collapsed when he put a suitcase on it. Beds were comfortable but overall the rooms need updating. There was a big iron burn on the carpet in one of our rooms. Also, one of our rooms had one robe while the other room had none. Self-parking is a long way from the lobby. Valet is pretty quick & efficient. Overall, a nice resort with pretty views conveniently located near central Tucson. If the JW Marriott Desert Ridge in Phoenix is a “5 star” resort, Star Pass is maybe a “4star”. If they don't put some much needed moey into the property it will fall to a 3 star and likely lose it's affiliation/branding as a JW.

2 Thank J S
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear J S:

Thank you for taking time to share about your latest experience at the JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa. We sincerely value your personalized perspective about your recent experience, and I apologize that your experience did not exceed the expectations of excellence from a JW Marriott resort; your concerns will be communicated to the highest level. The resort has an extensive “Rejuvenation” scheduled for the summer of 2013 that will bring an authentic look to our rooms. As a TripAdvisor Top Contributor, we look forward to your return and the opportunity to make a lasting impression on your next visit. If there is anything else that I may be of assistance, please feel free to contact me directly at chad.lybrook@marriott.com

Anchorage, AK
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I have been coming to this resort with my family since it opened about ten years ago. We stay at this property because of it's proximity to the places we want to be near. It appears that since it opened there has not been any improvements and over the past two or three years the quality of service has declined significantly. The property itself is in a beautiful, quiet area, away from traffic and the views are remarkable. The resort has everything necessary to be great, but somehow because of lack of upkeep and service the hotel falls short of it's potential. Still, we stay there instead of some of the nicer, newer resorts such as the Ritz because it is the best in the area we wish to be in.

Here are the areas where it falls short: The Signature Grill restaurant food and service is mediocre and not recommended. The rooms are inconsistently cleaned, and turn down service when requested (twice on our last visit) cannot be counted on. Perhaps due to cost cuts they are short staffed? The towels are small and thread bear. The sheets are also sometimes thread bear. Why aren't they replaced? If I can see the holes, why can't the housekeeper? The rooms decor is tired and there are stains on the old carpets. The rooms close to the elevators (and at least the next two) are to be avoided. They don't seem loud when you are in them, but when you are lying in bed at night listening to them they are very loud. The rooms on the main side are far from the parking lot so if you are going to self park and don't want to walk a lot, request a room on the side closer to the parking lot.

Here are the good points: The smell of the mesquite wood burning in the pit during the evenings at the Salud Bar is wonderful. The Primo restaurant is quite good, though somewhat expensive and a little formal. There is a Starbucks downstairs. The valet parking staff is friendly and efficient. The rooms are big. There are nearby, easy to walk to trails for hiking, biking or running. The common spaces are nice and welcoming. The patio of the Salud bar is a perfect place to be in the morning with your Starbucks beverage and newspaper/ipad in hand. The beautiful location and city and mountain views are outstanding.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank AKNose
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking time to share about your latest experience at the JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa. We sincerely value your personalized perspective about your recent experience, and I apologize that your experience did not reflect what you expect and deserve from a JW Marriott resort, and I will communicate your concerns. The resort has an extensive “Rejuvenation” scheduled for the summer of 2013 that will bring an authentic look to our rooms. We look forward to your return and the opportunity to make a lasting impression on your next visit. If there is anything else that I may be of service, , please feel free to contact me directly at chad.lybrook@marriott.com

AZ
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel is in a beautiful setting in the foothills overlooking the city of Tucson. Two good restaurants, two pools, and three jacuzzis. A tequila toast every night on the patio is always a highlight even though I've heard it many times. Love sitting out on the patio with friends having a drink. Rooms are a nice size and very attractive with large bathrooms. Wonderful staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the city.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your feedback on your past stay, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience. What an amazing experience sitting by the Fire Pits, roasting marshmallows and enjoying the gleam of the city lights. We look forward to your return and the opportunity to make a lasting impression on your next visit.

Coral Springs
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We selected this resort because of its proximity to Saguaro National Park (West). The setting in the Starr Pass area is beautiful. The gorgeous view from our room included the pool, golf course, and mountains. Breakfast was included in our room rate and was excellent. The fruit presentation was beautiful.......perfectly ripened and cut. My husband selected the Cold buffet most mornings while I enjoyed the made to order option. The wait staff was prompt, accommodating and very friendly. We were especially impressed by our hostess, Kathy, who knew our name by the second day. She was very friendly and expressed interest in our explorations of the area.
We thought the hotel was immaculate and were very impressed by the staff. Every staff member we came in contact with (even if just passing in the hall) greeted us morning, noon and night. I realize management probably expects this of their employees, but it certainly made us feel special and very welcome. We also noticed hotel personnel constantly picking up things, straightening and tending to the details needed to keep a resort neat and appealing.
The golf course is beautiful and there are hiking trails right on the property as well as a morning and evening Native American ritual which were both lovely. The pools offer variety... including two spas and a lazy river. My husband used the gym which he said was excellent. Our turn down service included 2 bottles of water each evening which we appreciated for our hikes in the National Park.
The only negative is that the hotel is on one side of the town and Saguaro Nat Park (East) and Sabino Canyon are on the other side with no expressway to get across town. My suggestion (if you are there for a short time) would be to choose the East or West side of town based on the activities and attractions you want to visit. There were several upscale places to stay on the East side of Tucson. However, if we return to Tucson, we would love to stay here again.

Room Tip: If you can, pay a few extra dollars for the pool/mountain view. It was beautiful.
1 Thank JLSCoralSprings_FL
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Senior Contributor:

It was with great pleasure to read your review entitled “Impressive!”. We greatly appreciate that you were able to provide such a thorough account of your recent experience. I will also have to agree with you about our natural setting is just remarkable. Thank you for highlighting the associates’ friendly demeanors and we look forward to welcoming you back for another tranquil experience.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I had the opportunity to stay at the JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa about a week ago. It's definitely one of my all time favorite hotels. It's located on a hill and over looks the lights of Tucson at night. The views around the hotel are stunning. It even has hiking trails just outside the hotel that give you even more amazing views. The rooms are very clean and spacious. The bathroom is most excellent with a separate shower and tub combination. And I can't brag enough about the staff at this hotel. They are the most courteous people that you'll ever meet.

Room Tip: Try to be above the first level if possible - you'll have a better view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Anthony C:

We are glad that you had an enjoyable experience at the JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa. Thank you for the five-star review of your experience, it is always nice to get the perspective of a frequent traveler We sincerely appreciate your encouraging words and thank you for taking the time to share about your stay. We hope to see you back for many more enjoyable experiences.

Kind regards,