“Always a big fan”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Yountville, California
“Always a big fan”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Southern Arizona is stunning in and of itself, but a stay at Starr Pass always makes it a bit more special. The hotel is surrounded by a park filled with cacti and hiking trails are everywhere. It is quiet enough to get work done and there's just enough to do when you get any free time. The spa is ok, but I like the tequila toast every night.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ArthurAdam
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Mr. Arthur Adam:

Thank you for your five-star rating, and we sincerely value your personalized perspective on your recent experience. Thank you for taking the time to highlight the features of our resort. The complimentary tequila toast, called Arriba! Abajo! is held nightly at 5:30pm in Salud! and is a favorite among guests. We hope to see you again in the future!

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (567)
Flagstaff, Arizona
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We only had one night here for a weekend wedding but thoroughly enjoyed it. The room had a great view of the city (no balcony but the sliding glass door did open for fresh air), and the bath had a separate soaking tub and shower. Towels were thick and fluffy, with Aromatherapy bath amenities in generous sizes.

Valet and check-in were both efficient and friendly. This property is spread out so be prepared to walk a lot. We self-parked our car and had to take two separate sets of elevators in different parts of the hotel to get to our room. There are nearby hiking trails which made getting outside for some exercise particularly nice. The Signature Grill was spectacular for dinner - expensive but memorable and innovative Southwestern cuisine.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear Top Contributor:

Thank you for your recent JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Sap review. We are pleased to hear that you had a delightful experience. We sincerely appreciate that you consider the resort a Five Star experience. The associates at the JW Marriott work together to orchestrate a personalized experience, and accolades such as your review demonstrate their efforts and hospitality. Thank you for taking time to share. We look forward to providing another five-star experience.

Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I was here for a conference during the last week of February. It was unseasonable cold (30s at night, low 50s during the day) so we did not get to take advantage of the pools. They looked fabulous - one is a "standard" pool - large, lots of chairs, etc. The other is "lazy river" with a slide.

They definitely kept with the desert motif. Very well laid out. I did not use the spa but the gym is part of the spa so I got to walk through (they share the locker/shower). The staff was uber accommodating - all I wanted was a locker to stash my jacket but I got a tour of the place.

My room was missing the ethernet cable. The front desk had it to our room in minutes. My husband mentioned that the staff must be instructed to greet every guest at every interaction as they were all so friendly!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for highlighting our greatest asset, our ASSOCIATES! The Marriott Way is keenly focused on taking care of our associates, whom then extend authentic hospitality to guests. We are overjoyed that you had a an amazing experience and we would love to have you come back. Thank you for taking time to share your experience.

Midland, Michigan
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My wife and I spent 6 nights here in early March. The location is fantastic with a great golf course nearby and easy access to hiking trails. The only drawback was poor service. The concierge was often not available and those at the front desk were not very knowledgeable. Maid service was very poor as they did not replenish supplies (shampoo, toilet paper, etc). Access to the pool requires a room key despite teh fact the resort is in the middle of nowhere. There are a couple of dining options on site but anything in town is a good 20-30 minutes away.

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review your latest experience at the JW Marriott Resort & Spa, and we sincerely value your personalized perspective on your recent experience. I apologize that your experience did not reflect what you expect and deserve from a JW Marriott resort, and sincerely regret that you did not receive a personalized experience. We hope you will give us another opportunity to surpass your expectations. If there is anything else I can do to resort your faith, please feel free to contact me directly at chad.lybrook@marriott.com

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed at the J W Marriott in Miami last year and enjoyed our stay. So when we started planning our trip to Tucson, and I found a good rate for the JW there, I was looking forward to staying there.

I really like the way both resorts fit in with their surroundings. In Tucson this resort just blends into the mountain!

We had stayed a few days prior with friends an hour north, arriving on a Monday about noon. We were able to check in upon arrival, which was nice.

I reserved a superior room, which had a balcony that overlooked the pool area and mountain view. The room was average to smaller in size for a nicer resort. The bath was good size with a tub and shower. The shower had excellent water pressure. I had requested a king bed, but we got two doubles. The resort wasVERY full with a convention,so a king was not available. I was a little disappointed, but the bed was very comfortable , even if too small. The room was immaculate.

Our room was right off the lobby. We chose to self park, and it was a very long walk to the garage from our room.

On our last day I went to the morning Native American sunrise ceremony, which was very serene.

All in all a good stay in a beautiful resort. We had many excellent meals at the signature grill, with top notch service. (Separate review)

My only complaint is we paid extra for a better view, and the first night we were there the convention took over the whole pool area with hundreds of people and a band as well. When we arrived I was not feeling well and looking forward to going to bed early and having some peace and quiet. It was very noisy, and the band played until 11 ish. While that is not an unreasonable time, I just think for a service oriented hotel they should have informed us of this upon check in and gave us an option for a room not facing this party(less expensive) where 80% of the hotel occupants were attending. The second night was fine.

It was a beautiful resort, and I am glad they were full,

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Top Contributor:

Thank you for your glowing words, I am glad that you had a splendid experience. We sincerely appreciate that you were kind enough to take time in recognizing the resort amenities. We sincerely appreciate that you consider us a Five Star experience. The associates at the JW Marriott work together to orchestrate a personalized experience, and I apologize that service was not reflected to the highest extent. We sincerely appreciate your perspective and want to thank you for taking time to share. We look forward to providing another five-star experience.

Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful time at this Marriott resort for a 4-day weekend. The pool areas are -- i am trying not to think of an overused adjective here -- fabulous? Gorgeous? Dream-worthy. All are true. They are also fun with a water slide and a short river ride in tubes. There is a memorable outdoor bar area to watch the sunset and share in a tequila toast at 5:30. Perfect! I had a fabulous spa message. Our room overlooked the golf course, which looked great but was beyond our skill level at $225/person green fees. If only I played well enough to play such a course! Someday...The service at this resort was perfect at almost every turn -- the valet, bell boys, the reception check in, pool service, bar service, room service, maid service...The one negative was April? (blond on duty at bar at 5 PM) who ignored us for 15 minutes while talking with a friend who apparently had a DWI and was not staying at the hotel but came over sympathy. Don't mind sharing but, tut tut April, every single person we encountered at the resort was wonderful, you should be ashamed of yourself. We finally moved to a different area of the bar, where we received great service. Anyway, certainly stay at this Marriott resort if you desire great views, service, pool time, spa time, and golf if your game is worthy.

Room Tip: Nicer views from the higher floors, level 5 and up.
Dear Senior Contributor:

Thank you for sharing about your experience, and I am glad that you chose the JW Marriott Starr Pass to host your four-day weekend. We sincerely appreciate your kind words about the resort and associates.

Please accept my apologies that your stay was anything less than exceptional; I will personally communicate your concerns with the Manager of Salud! If you have any further comments or concerns, feel free to contact me at chad.lybrook@marriott.com

Lancaster, PA
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Another visit to the Starr Pass and I can't say enough about this property. It is absolutly beautiful, well maintained and the setting is the best part. Beautiful views of the surrounding mountains and hills.
The staff is the best I have encountered anywhere. They are professional but friendly and will go out of their way to make your stay special!
I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking time out of your day to highlight your stay. We appreciate your encouraging comments about our associates, as they are the difference between us and the rest. We sincerely appreciate that you consider us a Five Star experience, and we look forward to hosting your next visit.