“Horrible customer service”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Macomb, Michigan
“Horrible customer service”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

The room was already booked and paid for by a friend (we were here for a conference). I checked in first as she was delayed getting here by weather. I handed them my debit card for what I though was to cover incidentals as is the case with most hotel chains. They charged my debit card $1116 even though the room had already been paid for. When we went to the lobby to try to get this fixed, I was told "there is nothing they could do" and it will take 4-5 business days to have the charge removed! I find it hard to believe in today's world of technology that this cannot be an instant process. "They should have told you" on check in was the only "apology" I received (I was NOT told this on check in and remember the ROOM WAS ALREADY PAID FOR). So essentially they charged TWICE for the same room and will take their sweet time fixing the issue.

Room Tip: Avoid coming here!
8 Thank Scubamum3
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Please accept my apologies that your stay was anything less than exceptional; I will personally communicate your concerns with our team. I sincerely understand how frustrating your circumstances were and if I can be of further assistance; please feel free to contact me at chad.lybrook@marriott.com

Kind regards,

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Hotel is situated in a scenic and beautiful locale. However, staff (check-in, room service, restaurant) were largely perfunctory and lethargic - lacking charm (in contrast to the hotel and its surroundings). Room fixtures/decor was a little less than what I expected for a JW Marriott, especially for the rate charged. Breakfast selection was varied and good. Walk from the self-parking car park was a little tortuous if you don't care for valet. I was charged a "resort fee" that I was not informed about at check-in but that they removed upon my challenge.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

We sincerely value your personalized perspective on your recent experience. I apologize that your accommodations did not reflect what you expect and deserve at a JW Marriott. I sincerely regret that you did not receive a personalized experience, and we hope you will give us a second chance and stay with us in the near future.

Pompano Beach, FL
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This spot is an annual trip for us. Wouldn't stay any where else in Tucson. Excellent courteous service & a gorgeous place! The only reason I give a 4 star this time is for some reason housekeeping skipped cleaning our room one day & missed turn down service as well on that same day...strange, not sure why. I reported it but even so I had to ask for the $25 room service fee to be removed from our bill upon check out.

Room Tip: I feel all rooms have excellent views here.
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you very much for taking the time to share about your experiences at the resort. I sincerely apologize about your experience with housekeeping and turn down service. We consistently strive to provide an excellent experience for all of our guests, and clearly we fell short on this instance. I am glad to hear that the remainder of your experiences met or exceeded expectations. We are honored to host you on an annual basis and look forward to your return next year.

La Jolla, California
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Had a quick, romantic stay at the JW Marriott Starr Pass. It's a larger property than I would normally choose, but the staff was very friendly, so made the experience seem more intimate. Lovely terrace for dining/ drinks. EXCEPT they allow smoking, including cigars. Ugh. Had a nice Sunday brunch with one of the best margaritas I've ever tasted (made with Blood Orange puree). Yum. Room was very comfortable. But they should rethink the quasi C&W music you are subjected to if you try to sit out on the small balcony.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your honest feedback on your past stay, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience, and sincerely appreciate your objective feedback. We look forward to your return and thank you for reviewing the JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We just spent three days at the JW Marriott in Tucson and were so pleasantly surprised by the beauty but mostly the exceptional staff. Each employee we encountered was friendly, efficient, and really seemed to love his/her job! We highly recommend this hotel for a get away or business trip. We will use it again in the future! E. Uhl

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience. We sincerely appreciate that you recognized our strongest asset, the ladies and gentlemen of the JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa. We sincerely appreciate the privilege of being the recipient of your first Trip Advisor review. Thank you for sharing your experiences and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,

State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Lots to love about this resort! The setting outside of town and in the mountains is unbeatable. We immediately got out onto the nearby trails where you could go for an hour or for many hours. We admired the views and then got back to the resort where we wished we had more time to explore the pools. But it was just about dark and time for the tequila toast on the patio - which we didn't want to miss! The bar and restaurant service were excellent. Our waiter turned out to be the one who tells the story before the toast. It was nice to hear some history and tradition.

We ate dinner in the Signature Grill. It was excellent! My husband had the salmon and I had the vegetarian tostada. The waiter warned that the sauce on the tostada was bland, and recommended a side of salsa. We thought maybe he was warning us away from this dish because it was the least expensive thing on the menu, but he was absolutely right! We also ate breakfast in the grill the next morning. It was one of the most beautiful and fresh breakfast buffets I've ever seen! There was a huge amount of fresh fruit - including big bowls of raspberries, blueberries and strawberries. A woman in front of me took just about the entire bowl of raspberries. But they filled it up immediately!

The front desk staff, concierge and wait staff were all super friendly (even when we heard a few people complaining about small stuff e.g. not having a paper delivered to their door, and not being able to figure out the internet). Big plus!

The only downside was that the room was very standard for a place that costs this much per night. It was nice and clean, but just not fancy. That's probably ok since the rest of the resort is where you'll want to spend the most time.

We were there without our kids, but we would definitely go back for a family vacation. There are huge pools and a lazy river - as well as the extensive hiking trails.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for sharing about your experience at the resort. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us. I have to agree, the Signature Grill offers an amazing selection of local cuisine. Than you for taking time to share about your experience and we hope to see you back with your family in the near future.

Boston, MA
Reviewed February 9, 2013

It's a massive hotel, but indeed lives up to the JW Marriott name. Rooms are clean and spacious, hotel staff is friendly and extremely helpful. Turn down service everynight with a couple waters and a note about the local fauna or customs was a nice touch.

I was there with a conference and the meeting space was perfect for our needs. The room temps were perfect (how many times can you say you sat in a hotel ballroom and felt that the temperature was nice?). The food for our group - WAS AWESOME! I can't speak to the menu at restaurants or etc. on site, but I can testify that the conference meals were top notch.

Gym is nice but fills up quickly if there is a large group there (I was unable to get onto one of the cardio machines in the mornings and there are maybe 5 or 6 total - for such a large resort this seems off kilter a bit)

The resort is very spread out, so if you're coming for a wedding or conference and don't want to walk miles and miles request a room on the side of the property near the parking garage (this would put you close to the conference area). If your preference is to be a little removed in a more quiet area the other side of the hotel (to your left if you're at the check in desk) is best. Also, room service closes at 10, so if you're having cocktails or planning a late arrival be prepared to be hungry ... all delivery options stop at 11:30.

Room Tip: The resort is very spread out, so if you're coming for a wedding or conference and want to be cl...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest:

We sincerely value your personalized perspective on your recent experience. Thank you for taking the time to highlight some of the features of the resort. I am pleased to hear that you had an terrific experience during your conference, and we look forward to your return and the opportunity to surpass your expectations.

Kind Regards,