“Wonderful destination for relaxing getaway”

JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC
“Wonderful destination for relaxing getaway”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I had originally booked an eight-night stay at another resort but two days into my stay there they decided to do construction on their pool, so I switched to the JW Marriott Starr Pass -- this was a great decision. The location is gorgeous, and convenient for visiting the Desert Museum and San Xavier mission (both of which I recommend). The rooms are super comfortable, with a nice deep soaking tub in addition to a separate shower. High-quality shampoo, conditioner, and lotion are provided, and the bed linens were nice and soft. One nice feature is a tiny refrigerator next to the minibar in the room, so you can keep your own beverages cool in the room. I had a room on the 5th floor in building 7 -- it had a nice balcony with beautiful views over the pool area, golf course, and surrounding desert. I liked the location of the room because it was removed enough from the main areas of the resort that noise from the restaurants, pools, etc. wasn't obtrusive. Service at the resort is very good although it would be nice if the concierge desk were staffed earlier in the morning and later in the evening. The swimming pools are kept at the perfect temperature, and while the lounge chairs by the pool aren't the most comfortable and many have seen better days, they have little flags that you can put up if you want to request food or drink service, which is convenient. I do wish they enforced the "adults only" policy at the one upper pool area because sometimes it is nice to have a pool area that is quieter without screaming or crying children running around. There are two lovely hiking trails directly across from the hotel, which I enjoyed every morning. I was fortunate to see javelinas, mule deer, Gambel's quail, hummingbirds, and lots of other wildlife while hiking there. A wonderful Native American gives a short talk every morning at 7:30 outside on the patio overlooking the beautiful view. The resort also offers complimentary tequila shots on the patio every evening at 5:30. There are two nice shops at the resort. The food in the restaurants, by the pool, and through room service was all very good. Spa services at the resort are overpriced, but I did enjoy the services, and the spa area also has a whirlpool with strong jets to soothe muscles tired from hiking, which I appreciated. One thing they don't tell you when you book your spa appointment is that the price of the service includes all-day access to the spa area which has a separate pool area (quieter and more relaxing than the main pools at the resort which had lots of kids running around) -- it would be nice if they told you this when you book your service so that you can plan to enjoy the spa area before and/or after your service. My stay wasn't perfect; while housekeeping did a good job overall they tended to take a long time to make up the room each day (often not until late afternoon), and they took away my robe on the third day and never replaced it. Also as I used the in-room coffeemaker each morning they kept bringing replacement supplies of decaf rather than regular coffee. It would also be nice if they furnished a bottle opener and corkscrew in the room, but these are minor points for improvement. Overall I had a wonderful, relaxing stay. Definitely recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor with a nice view, away from elevators.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank lisak12
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Valued Guest:

We are glad that you had a relaxing and enjoyable experience at the JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa. Thank you for the thorough review of your experience, it is always nice to get the perspective a TripAdvisor “Top Contributor”. We sincerely appreciate your encouraging words and thank you for taking the time to share about your stay. We hope to see you back for many more enjoyable experiences.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights at the Starr Pass in October 2012 for a reunion. The resort is outstanding. The rooms were well equipped and clean. The facilities were excellent. The golf course challenging. Nice view of Tucson at night from the veranda. There is a large pool and lazy river. The food was excellent. Breakfast was a bit costly but outstanding in quality. The event was well run and the staff did an excellent job of service. I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank hortonrn
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for selecting the JW Marriott Starr Pass to host your reunion. We sincerely appreciate your kind words and thank you for taking the time to share about your stay. I am elated to hear that you enjoyed your experience and I have to agree, the golf course is very challenging. I sincerely appreciate your kind words and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Payson, Arizona
Reviewed October 12, 2012

This is the fifth time my husband and I have stayed here for a four-day business meeting. The pool area and view are spectacular and includes a lazy river. We stayed in room #6224, looking down toward the main entrance. It's not far from the elevator. The spacious room had soft linens, loads of pillows, and lots of thick towels. There were more than enough outlets for plug-ins, and the internet access and the spa fitness center were included this visit. Although I never ate in any of the restaurants, my husband has often told me how good all of the catered meals have been. I always go to the spa and had a fabulous manicure with Charlie and pedicure with Nora. Also, the Spa shop has a small selection of cool workout wear, and I always find clothes to buy at the adjacent Resort shop, too. The only complaint is that the old ice machine was extremely slow and made shaved ice -- not cubes. In nearby Tucson, we had a great traditional italian dinner at Caruso's and ate outside; and a wonderful meal at the innovative Wildflower.

• Stayed October 2012
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear Ms. SophieBlue:

WELCOME BACK! Thank you for sharing about your experience. I am glad that you have the opportunity to join your husband when he travels. Thank you for highlighting the Hashani Spa and their amazing therapists. It sounds like you were able to relax and enjoy the amenities. I sincerely appreciate your kind words and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Guest Relations
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding in September. The location is up in the mountains and you can see the city lights from every angle. The resort is beautiful with cozy seating areas in the lobby for get togethers. Floor to ceiling windows let you view the city and at night, the lights are spectacular. The rooms are in excellent condition with separate showers and bath facilities. Comfortable beds and wide screen televisions.

Bring your bathing suits! There's a lazy river to float on with a slide and separate pool with plenty of shaded umbrellas and lounging chairs to enjoy the quiet. Trails surround the resort with acres of golfing. Lots of good hiking. There are spas and even a Starbucks in the hotel. We had a great time and enjoyed our short stay here. Friendly check in and quality service.

Room Tip: Hint: there's free underground covered parking if you drive around to the back of the hotel. O...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking time out of your day to detail your recent visit to the resort. It sounds like the perfect getaway while you were our guest! What an exciting time to be here for a wedding and experience some relaxation at the same time. We sincerely appreciate your kind words and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Warm regards,

Guest Relations
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I've come to know Resort to mean it has activities like yoga, water aerobics, and maybe a welcome drink.
Here you get to experience Tucson.
List a few of the activities available at the resort: Their are Binocular Machines along with information at what your looking at, Tequila Toast (this is Free - yes Free Alcohol, 1 free shot), Bikes to rent, Trails to hike, Golf, the fitness area has it's own lap pool. There is a Water slide, lazy river, Birds/Animals from the Sonora Desert Museum were brought for a touch and see exhibit on the lawn below the LARGE Lounge area where the Tequila Toast is held. Cozy Chairs and fires at night. Smores by the fire. In the morning EARLY they had a Ceremony with an Eagle.

Room info - we had a great room completely opposite side from the parking garage, actually last room at end. 2 Queen beds, fridge - it really didn't keep anything cool not sure if it was broke, standing shower, and separate soaking tub.

Notes - FYI
If only Valeting once don't keep valet ticket when picking up car, tell valet your checking out or you will get charged as if you valeted the following days and didn't use the free self parking. We valeted the first day as it was easier for luggage transport, never valeted the following 3 days but were charged valet for following days. Remembering when I went to hand back the valet ticket they asked if we were checking out I said no they said they said keep it they use it for the next time. They must use it as the way to keep track of what room car is registered to by using one ticket for your car.
They could use more chairs for the pool.
I also got a great deal through the Entertainment Book website.

Was great - we originally got a room next to elevator and when requested a room change was accommodated.

Amenities
Free infused cold water all around resort with different flavors. - Orange, Lemon, Grapefruit
Turn down service also.
Free Self Parking

Restaurants
There is a Starbucks on property. - Not just a place that serves Starbucks
Catalina Sports Bar & Grill - We ate here and watched Thursday Night Football. Great BBQ! Also very accommodating with changing channels.
We ate at one of the other Restaurants - Below lobby and it was good nothing superb.
Prices were Resort Pricing or High Class Restaurant Pricing at all restaurants - except maybe the Catalina Sports Bar and Grill, was maybe Mid Class Restaurant Pricing
At Tequila Toast tried the Tequila Infused appetizer too, very different - I definitely liked it.

Bugs
We did have a spider in our room and a large grasshopper in our tub.

We were there for a girls weekend and would definitely Go back, Marriott did not disappoint.

Room Tip: Parking garage is on one side, then LARGE Convention Center, then Restaurants, then Spa/Fitness Cent...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for providing such a detailed review of your experience. It was really nice to relive your experience through your words. In addition, THANK YOU for posting your photos, as it is always witness your experience through the lens of the guest. I have forwarded your comments onto our Valet Team, so they can learn from your experience. I apologize that there was a misstep in our service delivery. Thank you for sharing about your visit to Tucson and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Great resort. Beautiful views of the pools and golf course from our5th floor room. We ate at the Signature Grill on Saturday night and the filet minon was fabulous! Cooked to perfection medium rare.
Enjoyed the 5:30p.m. tequila toast and then happy hour in the Primo restraunt.

Payed the 25.00 dollar resort fee and enjoyed the golf at the country club. They also had all the football games on in the sports bar & grill. Overall, a wonderful weekend! Thank you!

Fabulous customer service!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for choosing the JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass for your BIRTHDAY celebration! It was exciting to read about your visit and that you had the opportunity to experience the many amenities the resort has to offer. Thank you for spending your DAY with us and for sharing with the rest of the Trip Advisor community.

edmonton, ab
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I really had such high hopes for this resort. My husband stays in Marriott resorts about 80-100 nights per year all around the world for work, so he has a pretty good idea of which ones are great and which could improve. This one DEFINITELY needs to improve. As a direct result of this stay, he will now be staying at Hiltons for work.

First, the positives:

This hotel is located in the only nice part of Tucson. It is in a GORGEOUS setting, and having been to Tucson on many occasions, I can say that this is my favourite part of the city. Tucson has really changed, and it makes me sad to see how the American economy has changed this place. We saw homeless people EVERYWHERE in Tucson, and then when you get to this hotel area, it's like entering a paradise that feels worlds away from the rest of the city.

The breakfast buffet had a lot of selection, and our son got to eat for free!

Our room was always cleaned when we returned from our afternoons away from the hotel.

The flavoured water in the lobby was a great touch.

The best part about the hotel? The Catalina Sports Bar & Grill restaurant! We ate there three times, and it was the best BBQ we have ever had. The setting is beautiful, the staff and service are incredible, and the food (try all the sauces!) was to die for.

Negatives:

The breakfast buffet was EXTREMELY expensive. My husband and I are fortunate enough to have eaten at some incredible restaurants, but the food really wasn't that good to come with this sort of price tag. My eggs benedict was always runny even though I repeatedly asked for the eggs to be cooked more.

Get ready to spend a mountain of money on valet service at this hotel. It was extremely expensive.

It was too far to walk from the free parking area to our room. Many previous reviewers have also complained about this.

The pool was very dirty! There were a ton of bugs in it when we went in it with our son. Perhaps the filter wasn't working?

The bathroom door isn't a normal door. It's a sliding barn door. While it looks neat, expect to wake up others in your room if you need to use the restroom in the middle of the night. The loud CREEEEEK of the door when I slid it open at night always woke my husband and son.

And now for my biggest problem with this hotel:

We used our Marriott rewards points to stay for 6 nights in April of 2012. We brought our 13-month old son with us, as this was a trip to meet his American relatives in the states. We corresponded 3 times with the hotel to make sure that they would have a crib for him. We were assured by phone and e-mail that they would indeed have a crib for our infant son (who does not sleep in anything but a crib). Knowing this, I felt comfortable booking.

Well-no crib! And no apology either! Our faces fell when we arrived to check-in at front desk and were told that they only have playpens (or pack n' plays). We complained immediately and were told that there must have been some sort of mix-up since the hotel definitely does not have cribs. After 5 HOURS, they brought a very bare-bones play pen up to our room. Our son refused to sleep in it (it was rock hard, so I don't blame him). For 6 nights, he stayed in our bed with us and we were wide awake in fear of rolling over onto him in our sleep. My husband and I didn't get a wink of sleep, and by the end of the week we were nearly in tears from exhaustion.

The hotel was run over by teenagers. We had a group of about 7 young teenage girls hanging out in the hallway outside our room. They ran back and forth giggling and knocking on everyone's doors at 10:30 p.m. After complaining to the hotel and not having anyone come up to quiet them down, I had to do it myself with my infant son screaming in the background.

In short, this would be a good (but not great) place to stay for a couple, but this hotel is certainly not for families-especially if you have an infant with you. It's also not great for seniors.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mgramato1
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for sharing about your stay in April. The JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa strives for an enjoyable experience for all of our guests. It was truly disheartening to read that your experience was less than perfect. I sincerely apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations and our standards of excellence. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance, as we look forward to your return and the opportunity to surpass your expectations.