“First class holiday”

JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I have just returned from five fantastic nights at the beautiful Starr Pass resort in Tucson, Az. As a regular Tucson visitor, I have had plenty of opportunity to visit Starr Pass, but only to enjoy the. World-class golf course or to dine at the amazing Grill. This past trip was all about Starr Pass.

Outstanding staff, great spa, pools, hiking...Starr Pass takes first prize. The fish tacos at The Grill were the best ever! We did not have a single disappointment.

Be sure to plan at least one evening sitting out under the stars on the enormous patio. Live music, s'mores, tequila toasts..all part of the Starr Pass experience.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking time out of your day to rate your stay, we appreciate your cheering feedback. I have to agree, the Fire Pit experience on the Salud! Patio remains the place to be in the evenings. Thanks again for sharing about your experience.

Chad Lybrook

Write a ReviewReviews (2,190)

Reviewed September 24, 2012

The resort property is stunning with generally positive reviews. Accordingly, I had high expectations to match the high prices and they simply weren't met for my stay resulting in a poor value and a negative experience. For my visit, a four day weekend stay for a conference, the team - and it was a team effort - fell short in all areas. Any one off experience that I had, from the greeting by the bellmen, front desk check-in experience, service in multiple restaurants and bars, poolside service, concierge and individual room experience could be overlooked, but taken together nothing was clicking.

On my next visit to Tucson, I'm going to try a different resort, but, based on most of the reviews, my experience seems to be in the minority, so, if you go in with your eyes wide open on the rates, the facility is exceptional and you hopefully will be lucky enough to have a better experience. At this level of resort however, it shouldn't be left to luck.

Specific Tips:
--If you don't have a car and request a taxi, you'll get a flat rate car service at a premium to metered cabs. Call you own (but allow for extra time) if you don't need a Town Car.
--Our room overlooked the outdoor valet parking lot, which was crummy enough, but the valets used the remote FOBs to honk the horn to hone in on the car they are searching for -- including at late evening hours--really annoying. We asked for a better room location but were spurned without a lot of apparent effort due to the claim of being fully booked.
--The hiking trails into the desert reserve area opposite the hotel are not to be missed for exploring, especially in the early morning.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the outdoor valet parking lot.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for sharing your insight on your past stay. The associates at the JW Marriott work together to orchestrate a personalized experience, and I apologize that service was not reflected on your visit. We sincerely appreciate your perspective and the opportunity to grow from these learning’s. We look forward to your return and thank you for reviewing the JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I wavered between giving 3 and 4 stars but in the end I give it 3.5 stars. The reason being is that although it is a very pretty property, I felt that it was lacking in a few areas. First, the good: the property was very nicely manicured, the valet staff was very attentive upon arrival, and there was zero wait upon check-in at 2pm. In fact, the hotel did seem pretty empty but that's okay by me because I'd rather stay at a less-crowded hotel. The rooms were very clean and nicely decorated with high-end bed linens. Unfortunately, I did have to shoo a HUGE grasshopper outside the room. No biggie, there is a lot of wildlife in the resort area, however, I don't usually expect to see large insects inside the room, but then again, not enough for me to make a phone call to the front desk. Speaking of the front desk, they were nice enough to reserve me a sedan to drive me to the airport the next morning. They quoted $39 for a one-way trip. the sedan arrived on time, however, it was $40. Again no big deal. Last, I asked for a 5:30 wake up call. Luckily, I set my phone alarm as back-up in case I slept beyond the hotel wake up call and I'm glad I did because the hotel call never came. If I didn't set my phone alarm I probably would have missed my flight. Overall, this stay was a decent stay. The hotel room and lobby were comfortable and nicely decorated, however, I was hoping for a little bit better in terms of meeting expectations. Last, the best part of the stay was seeing a group of javelinas run across the property as I was leaving for the airport. Very cool stuff that I have never seen before.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking your time to share about your recent visit to The JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa. We truly value your personalized perspective, and I sincerely apologize that you did not receive a 5-Star experience on this trip. Thank you for detailing opportunities for us to improve on your next visit.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

On September 3 we were able to eat on Starr Pass's patio with a gorgeous view of the city lights. It was cool enough for me to wear a light weight sweater. The altitude kept both the tempertures low and our attitude high. It was a delightful stay with magnificent scenery.

Room Tip: get a view, maybe they all have views
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Nance H
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for posting about your recent experience, I am elated to hear that you enjoyed your experience and that the weather was beautiful during your stay. We are defiantly witnessing that the season is starting to change as the temperatures are starting to decline. With average highs in the low 90s this is without a doubt one of best times to visit Tucson! We look forward to your return and thank you for reviewing the JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa.

Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

The setting and decor of this 6 star resort is second to none. Great rooms, food, service, spa and golf! Don't miss out if you get the chance to stay here. If you're into hiking there are several trails that lead through the mountains right outside the front doors.

• Stayed: September 2012
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2012

Dear Valued Guest:

WOW! Thank you for the six-star rating and for sharing about your recent JW Starr Pass visit, we are delighted to hear that you had a blissful experience. We look forward to your return and the opportunity to make a lasting impression on your next visit.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Members of the mighty might football team came to stay for Labor day week-end. The entire week-end was a pleasant experience. The staff was very attentive to every need. On Saturday Jon served the group poolside and was extremely helpful. The food was delicious, there were plenty of activities available for the kids and the parents relaxed by the pool. The grounds were kept immaculate, rooms were very comfortable and decorated nicely with plenty of room. Hopefully the team will schedule another game next year so we can all come back and do it again.

Room Tip: Stayed on the second floor and woke up to a javelina rooming outside the preserve.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for selecting the JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa as your group destination, it was with great joy to host your group. Thank you for recognizing the hospitality Jon provided your family during your visit, and I will personally send your kind words to his attention. We look forward to hosting your group and sincerely appreciate your heartfelt words.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

My first time at a J.W. Marriott what a pleasant surprise. The Resort was beautiful, the staff very helpful, and the food truly great. I am a habitue of the Ritz Carlton franchise (also Marriott property) and while I had heard good things about JW this was my first chance to experience it. More informal than the Ritz Carlton, but no less luxurious. The loby was expansive with a two story glass wall offering a marvelous view of the out side seating area, pool and down town Tucson. I had a late dinner in the Signature Restaurant, the service was great, the steak alot better than I would have expected. The pool and surrounding area was well maintained. The room, and executive suite was large and well appointed. When asked about BBQ for lunch we were pointed to the club house which was on the property. We have all been steered to resort restaurents with the expectation of O.K. fare, boy was I wrong. Some of the best BBQ I have ever had. The morning of my departure I had a southwest breakfast of fresh orange juice, coffee and a breakfast bruito consisting of scrambled eggs and churiso in a tortilla with the most pleasent spicing, ranging from hot to cooling off to hot again.The gym was the best I have seen in any resort. Top of the line equipment, well maintained. There was even a lap pool in the Spa Gym wing. On my return home I asked my wife why we haden't given any thought to traveling domestically for vacation. We have better resorts.
I am now a fan of the J.W. Marriott franchise.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for selecting the JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa as your first JW Marriott property. It was a delight to read your raving comments about your experience. Thank you for acknowledging the hard work and dedication of our associates, and especially those of the Food & Beverage Department. I am glad to hear that you are a fan of the JW Marriott brand and look forward to hearing about your upcoming experiences.