“Paradise in the desert!”

JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Paradise in the desert!”
Reviewed August 22, 2011

This was our first stay at Starr Pass. The hotel is set into the mountainside of the Tucson Mountains and is spectacular when you first see it on the drive up. The beauty of the mountain backdrop and the gorgeous views of the Tucson city lights make it a most unique experience. The property was well maintained and general housekeeping is what I expect from a highend hotel. At check-in, we were warmly and politely greeted. The staff was pleasant and courteous. The standard room was nicely appointed and comfortable. The facilities, spa, workout room and pools were all very well kept and clean. There is a good variety of on premise restaurants to choose form. "Primo", truly was the finest and best experience! The "Signature Grill" had a wonderful breakfast menu and we enjoyed the selection of menu items for lunch as well. Salud was a great open-air experience for a it cap (don't miss the 5:30pm taquilla toast on the patio!). Starbucks is refreshing if you're into that, and it's next to Salud. The resort was crawling with college students for the U of A drop off event, so the atmosphere was a bit party like which worked well into our weekend experience, but call ahead if you have concerns about noise or events that may preclude a quiet stay. This is certainly a family resort, so keep that in mind when choosing Starr Pass as your destination! Our stay was exceptional, but remember to make reservations early for dining, or you may find yourself eating late, or not where you planned. One side note, we ate at Catalina BBQ Co and Sports Bar; it was not what we would consider a top choice among local BBQ restaurants, there are certainly better in town if you're adventurous and I recommend you find that sort of dining elsewhere! Everything we experienced on the resort property was enjoyable and noteworthy. This visit was a birthday gift for my wife and the service far exceeded our expectations. We will definitely return for our next special occasion!

• Stayed August 2011
CYDTCGM, Front Office Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay at our Resort. I appreciate your comments regarding your dining experience in both Primo and the Signature Grill and enjoy sharing them with our associates. I was also pleased to read that you were able to take advantage of both Starbucks for that morning jump start, and then start off your evening with our complimentary Tequila toast on the patio of Salud! Thanks again for your comments. I hope we will have another opportunity to have you as our guest.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
Grimsby UK
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Stayed here for a Convention with friends, Hotel staff and organisation of Convention were superb. Restaurants excellent with attentive waiting staff. Would recommend this resort for anyone planning a large convention.Nice vibe!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
It is a pleasure to get such fantastic feedback from an extensive traveler. Thank you for visiting our Resort and your comments regarding your stay. I was pleased to read that you found our Food & Beverage staff to be attentive. I hope that you can return to Tucson in the near future and be our guest again!

Warm Regards,

Glendale
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I stayed here for a sorority convention and loved the resort. It's outside of Tucson in a beautiful desert setting. Our convention was in July, so it was hot outdoors, but the resort itself is cool and the pools are very nice. Summer rates are low, so don't let the heat keep you away. The decor is contemporary southwest and very nice with lots of flagstone. Our room was big enough for a King-size bed plus a rollaway, and had a nice view of the desert setting.
The only downside was that we had "requested" two double beds, but we learned later that in order to "reserve" the exact type of room we wanted, there was an extra charge, which they neglected to tell us about. When we got there, no rooms of that type were available, so we had to take the King and a rollaway. Apparently there is a difference between "request" and "reserve."
They have a delightful tradition of free tequila shots at 5:30 p.m., on the large patio. Live guitar music was piped throughout the public spaces in the late afternoon and evening. There are seversal walking paths, and I would recommend that you take advantage of them to enjoy the beauty of the desert. In the summer, mornings are best. We had breakfast at the restaurant, and it was excellent with a southwest flair, although a bit slow. Convention facilities were very good, and we could hear all the speakers well. They have lots of various sized rooms and some board-style rooms for small meetings. I would recommend this hotel for a convention or for a family retreat. It is not near shopping or entertainment, so for those who prefer a city setting, another type of facility would be better.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience here at our Resort. I appreciate the positive comments you posted regarding our Water Collection, and glad that you were able to make it to our Signature tequila toast on the patio of Salud! In regards to guaranteeing a room type, we do not charge extra for that. When a request is made for a certain room type, the confirmation will clearly note "King bed guaranteed", however once we have more requests for a room type than we have, the confirmation received for those reservations will note "Double beds requested, but not guaranteed." Another important note regarding rollaways is that due to fire code, a rollaway bed cannot be placed in a room with two double beds, as it would be unsafe in the event of an emergency regarding an evacuation.

Norwood, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I've waited a month to let myself simmer. I can safely say I still don't like this place.

The one thing I hated the absolute most was the hundred pound (exaggerating just a little) sliding bathroom door with no lock. Yes, really and it didn't even really shut. With the door shut you could still see through the cracks. I'm not lying and I can't believe not one other person reviewing this place has written about these ridiculous bathroom doors.

At the end of our stay I was removing the sheets from the bed and saw how dirty and stained they were, had holes too. We never went in bed with our shoes on so this was not from us. I was really disappointed considering I thought we were staying at a Marriott?! Carpet was dirty and had a big hole near the door too.
The bed was very comfortable, we did love all the pillows.

This place is HUGE. It took 13 min to go from our hotel room to the parking lot where the guest self parking is, even though our room overlooked a parking lot. GO figure. We had to use two separate elevators in different parts of the hotel to get to the parking garage, walking what felt like a mile in between the two elevators. At least hiking up A mountain you get a view. Here you just get lost! Even going to the gym you have to walk through the spa, sign in and go down three flights of stairs. Nothing is easy.

Breakfast will cost you $50 bucks for two people. $9 bucks for a pot of coffee. Eggs and toast is something like $22 bucks, as well as tax, $3 delivery charge and 18% gratuity . I'd say go out to eat but consider your car is 15 min. from you plus the drive time out of the boonies, you might pass out. If you manage to get that far go to Bobo's on Grant St.

The pools are really nice. It would be really nice if the smaller of the two pools were for adults only, even if just for a few hours a day. The lazy river was packed with stay-cationers. Kids being kids (fine with that) splashing and going against the current. I really liked that there was ice cold water and fresh towels down at the pool. You do need your room card to get in the pool area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
CYDTCGM, Front Office Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
Pam,

Words cannot express the disappointment I have with your experience here at our Resort. I am truly sorry for the experience you had at our hotel. While I cannot adequately address each of your concerns in this forum, I hope you will take a moment to contact me directly at 520-791-6032 so that we can further discuss and I can express my apologies. One issue I can assure you we take seriously is cleanliness of our guest rooms and the conditions of the linens - you should not have experienced either of those issues that you did.

Warm Regards,

AZ
Reviewed August 14, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a 2 day stay at this resort in Tucson. We stayed in a smaller suite (only the two of us).It was very spacious and clean. The bed was just awesome - so comfortable with the pillows and comforter. The bathroom was huge with separate shower & bath tub. Even had 2 irons & 2 iron boards and a small refrigerator for juice, etc. which was very helpful. The only downside was that there was only one sink in the bathroom. Having a suite I just couldn't believe there was only 1 sink. Honestly there needs to be 2 sinks.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
CYDTCGM, Front Office Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
Thanks for taking the time to share with us about your experience here at the Resort. I was pleased to read that you found the Suite to be spacious, clean, and that the comfort of the bed exceeded your expectations. It sounds like the bathroom was also hit, but would have been better with two sinks. While our Executive Suites do just have the 1 sink in the bathroom, our largest Suites do have two!

Cranston, Rhode Island
Reviewed August 13, 2011

My Husband and I stayed at the Starr Pass resort for a conference. We were also able to catch some down time to enjoy ourselves. This was the perfect hotel for this. We stayed in a jr suite, which was very large. The furnishings were tastefull Southwest decor. I travel alot for business and am used to typical 'hotle/banquet' food , but the food that was served at this conference (iof over 1000 attendess) was delicious.
Both pools were beautiful. we had lunch at the poolside restaurant and it was very good.
I need to also point out that the staff/service was 5-star. The staff went out of their way to be accomodating

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
CYDTCGM, Front Office Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 14, 2011
Andrea,

Thanks for taking the time to share the experience you and your husband recently had here while attending a conference at the Resort. It was a true pleasure to read that you found the food prepared by our Events Staff to be outstanding. Chef Mikkelson and his team take a great deal of pride in preparing amazing food for guests dining in our conference space. It also gives me a great deal of pride to share with our staff that the guests do notice our "Spirit to Serve." I hope that the two of you can return to our Resort in the near future.

SF
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Wonderful food in all of the onsite restaurants. It was exquisitely tranquil to have a glass of wine outside by the fire pits. Great staff, clean, quiet, nicely decorated large guest rooms.
There are about 3 fresh-water style pools.

Room Tip: Make sure to grab a tube and meander down the