“Best Mexican food”

Casa Del Rio
Ranked #345 of 2,023 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I grew up in Tucson, and went her often as a kid. Only when I moved to the east coast and sampled the country's other Mexican food establishments did I realize how wonderful this place is. Their green chili con crane is out of this world, their chimichangas are authentic and scrumptious and their ambiance is great. I only get home once every few years now, but I go here at least 3 times on every trip.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

The Machaca Chimi is unbeatable. Coming from Florida, where
the Chimi's are a third of the size and far greasier, it is always good
to eat here. And the prices can't be beat. The only problems I ran
into were the slobs (1 older man and 2 twentysomething females)
eating in gym shorts...Disgusting.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

It's been years since I've been to Tucson and this would not be my first choice of Mexican restaurants, but it has sentimental value for my sister, who selected it. With both had dishes with machaca and were happy with it. We went at lunchtime on a weekday and there were very few diners present. Our waitress was fantastic.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Four of us went to Casa Del Rio last evening to celebrate a recent birthday. We had a couple of drinks in the 'Go Cats' bar, where we watched the end of one of the NCAA March Madness games leading up to the Final Four. After the game concluded, we went into the restaurant and ordered our meals. I had the carne asada burro and asked that it be smothered with chili verde sauce. My wife had the fish tacos, my buddy had the chili rellenos, and his wife had her standard cheese enchiladas. 'EVERYTHING' came out at the same time, hot and very tasty. Both my wife and I claim the fish tacos and my burro (which was covered with a very tasty chile verde sauce) were the best we've ever had. We have been eating in Mexican restaurants around the country and the world since the 70's, and I would have put this meal up there with the best. The server never had an isssue with any of our requests and was prompt and available at all times. Sorry for the folks who've had a bad experience, however we plan on a return visit in the very near future.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I have been dining frequently at Casa del Rio since 1989.
Today, after speaking with the manager and her lack of customer service I may never go back to this restaurant.
Since I am very familiar with the menu it is not an issue to order food to be picked up as I did on Saturday, Feb 2 @ 4:15 p.m.
I ordered the food and my husband picked it up, when he returned home, to my surprise the order was not correct. I called the restaurant and spoke to a young lady on the phone and told her I had a complaint that my order was not correct, she said let me transfer you to the person who took your order. Another young lady was on the phone and she remembered our order. She said we could come in and get the red sauce, I explained we did not want to go back and you cannot just pour the red sauce over the burrito, it needs to be baked with the sauce and cheese ( I ordered the 3 way burrito). I also had ordered a small guacamole and received one container so small it was like two tablespoons. I have been ordering small guacamole since 1989 and it has never been in a container this size.
Now I can understand young new workers making mistakes, my biggest issue is how the manager handled the situation.
The young lady transferred me to the manager because I wanted a courtesy small refund for the guacamole and lack of sauce. My husband was not given an itemized receipt so I was unable to determine the cost breakdown.
The manager had an attitude sound in her voice, I explained that I had the guacamole issue in sizing and she indicated I was wrong and that they always have had a small size such as I have received today, I told her since 1989 when I order small guacamole I always got the larger size. After a few back and forth discussions, I told her forget about the guacamole, I would like to see what you can do for me on the missing enchilada & cheeze sauce on my 3 way burrito. She said "You just forgot to order it", I said I didn't that the young lady that took my order asked me if I wanted red or green sauce. She kept insisting I was wrong, so I said I have never had such rudeness from this restaurant and I have been coming here for 20 years she says "Well I have been here for 25 years and you ordered wrong".
With that comment I told her we will never be back to eat at Casa del Rio again with customer service such as hers. I did not get her name but she has been there for 25 years and is the more mature female manager.
So I plead to the Casa del Rio owner, I want to come back but will not as long as the customer service is this rude. Please provide customer service training for your employees, respond to my comment to solve this issue and I may return with all my friends. Until then I will be at Las Margaritas with all my family and friends.

Been to Casa Del Rio? Share your experiences!