“Mediocre, mediocre, mediocre, Service poor, food ok” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of North Italia

North Italia
Reserve with OpenTable
North Italia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 1,971 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: We’ve turned a modern lens on traditional Italian cooking. North Italia is our love letter to Italy—a place that’ll make you feel like you’ve stepped off a charming side street to discover a culinary gem. After a decade in business, we’ve learned a thing or two and we’re approaching perfection in the art of handmade pasta and pizza. Every day, we start from scratch to create dishes like Strozzapreti with Bloomsdale spinach or supple ribbons of tagliatelle for our Bolognese. Our pizza is a revelation: an airy, barely chewy center embraced by a perfectly crisp crust. With the spirit of the Italian taverna, North is the place to talk shop over a cocktail or swap gossip sharing delectable chef creations.Every neighborhood would be lucky to have a place like North.
Tucson, Arizona
“Mediocre, mediocre, mediocre, Service poor, food ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

I used to enjoy North, for interesting light Italian food, and an exciting fun atmosphere. That was used to. Revisited after the big renovations and the new menu and new attitude..well new menu was ok, food actually could have been good, but service was so spotty and unprofessional that I doubt I would give them a second chance. There did not seem to be any one managing the restaurant, a lot of young waitstaff roaming around, laughing having a great time, while diners waiting for their food. Our food was not that delayed, but when we asked for coffee, there was a problem with spilled cream, all over the table, as well as the diners. The server apologized and cleaned up the spilled milk, but there was no attention from a manager. Usually when something like this occurs a manager would come to the table to be sure all was in order, and check that everything was dealt with, i.e. clothing that may need professional cleaning services should be paid for, etc. or at least offer a conciliatory drink or dessert. Nothing happened after the spill was cleaned up except for the apology. The waiter seemed capable, but overstressed by what seemed like the lack of organization in the restaurant. I like an easy going atmosphere, but this was beyond relaxing.

This was doubly disappointing as I was treating friends to a pre thanksgiving lunch, and had hoped for a nice afternoon. We were just happy to leave.

This restaurant redo needs some redoing...better supervision by a competent manager would definetly help.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

“Yummy rustic Italian”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

We haven't visited since the revamping, and were pleasantly surprised. The pizza crust is crispy with sea salt and olive oil. The house-made sausage was yummy. I got the heirloom beet salad--am a sucker for beets and order them any time I can. It was delicious as well. Also enjoyed a champagne aperol cocktail--so festive for the season! Will certainly be back.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Julesausten
Marana, Arizona
“Great food & A Fun Evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed an evening at the "new" North - this was our first visit there since the remodel of a few months ago. At 6 pm on a Friday night the place was packed. We talked two ladies sitting at a four top into sharing their table with us. After flagging down a wait person, we ordered wine (a Malbec and a Barbera) and an order of bruschetta. The people-watching was our entertainment - conversation was difficult due to the noise level. Later, we ordered pasta (tagliatelle and gigli with chicken). Both these dishes were served piping hot and were delicious. The gigli is a pesto dish served with crispy capers and pine nuts - I recommend this to anyone who likes pesto. This was a fun evening and I'm sure we'll go back.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Sarakay53
“Delicious Pasta”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

OK, the decor is more modern, doesn't scream Italian. The highlight of the interior is watching the making of fresh pasta and loaves and loaves of bread. The pasta is delicious. The three cheese grilled sandwich looked delicious. I plan to try it on my next visit. Here's what I loved.....the best tiramisu!!!!!! It has a chocolate crunch top that I have never tasted before. Oh, I didn't mention the delicious bread. It is extra, they won't bring it unless you ask, but you need to know you'll be charged for it. No regrets paying for this little extra.

Tucson, Arizona
“Great Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

When my husband told me that we were going to go to the new North restaurant to eat Italian cuisine, I wasn’t sure what to expect. It was our anniversary and I wanted everything to be perfect. When we got there I was really impressed. The food was superior. The new concept is more contemporary and the ambiance was exceptional. We loved the outdoor patio! We really felt as though we were at our wedding all over again. Our reception dinner was at the Hassler Roma on top of the Spanish Steps in Rome. I felt like I was at the Hassler all over again. Thank you North! You really made our anniversary.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Been to North Italia? Share your experiences!