“Fantástico”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of El Guero Canelo

El Guero Canelo
Ranked #133 of 1,977 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: Mexican, Fast Food
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Tucson, Arizona
“Fantástico”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

I cannot give a hotdog five green circles, but if this was a hotdog review site and not trip advisor, this dog would get five stars with the dog in second place far behind. This is a great darn dog - the "Sammy Dog," which I think is the signature dog at this Tucson landmark resturante. Its wrapped in bacon for Pete's sake, which is almost unfair to any competitors. I had mine with yellow mustard and raw onions. Very tasty. I love the carved out buns, which when you get the Sammy has two huge dogs stuffed inside - closed on the ends but split in the middle. Anyway ... that's it, great simple food. When I visited the place was PACKED with people. The food cart they started out with in 1993 is parked out front along with an old 1940's vintage black sedan. I did not notice the model type. So, visit El Guero...you will not be disappointed.

• Visited October 2013

El paso
“Very tasty tortas!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We tried the carne asada torta and one of their specialty hot dogs. They were great. Definetely authentic Mexican food. If you are in the Tucson area I highly recommend trying it. I will make this my regular Tucson Mexican joint. It's a casual place so don't expect anything fancy. You also really should try the Aguas frescas.

• Visited August 2013
“Not what I was expecting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

I stopped here for a late lunch. I was expecting a “real” restaurant, but it is actually a window you order from and then you take your food to a covered area with picnic tables. In the covered area there are many salsas and toppings for your food. They have bags and containers for to-go orders. I placed my order: one Medium Burro with beans and cheese, one steak taco and one chicken taco both on corn tortillas for a total of $9. I waited at least 15 minutes to receive my order and people who ordered after me received their order long before I did. I approached the window 2 times asking if my order was ready, and by the second time I was handed my order which was sitting on a back counter. They call out the numbers in Spanish, so I could have missed mine being called, but they were rude both times when I went up and asked about my order. The food was good, but not worth the hassle.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank OnTheNarrowRoad
Green Valley, Arizona
“Tacqueria to the Stars!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

This ain't your ordinary Mexican restaurant. El Guero has the best Sonoran hot dog in Tucson, luscious, drippy caramelos, enormous burros and a selection of salsas and extras to suit every taste. Pile on the grilled cebollitas, peppers and pickled red onions. There's also a wide choice of beverages ...Mexican Cokes, horchata, non-alcoholic sangria, etc. You'll see a cross-section of Tucson... Raytheon engineers, local police bigwigs, U of A students, local families, Davis-Monthan airmen... everyone comes for the great food, low prices and totally informal atmosphere. This is truly a Tucson institution!

• Visited July 2013
Sydney
“A solid favourite every time we are in Tucson”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

Last time we visited El Gureo Canelo was 2 years ago and we are pleased to say that while were back in the USA we managed to find ourselves back in Tucson and within an hour we were chowing down on Sonoran dogs and a huge carne asada burrito.. wonderful as ever!

The main meals are just part of this locals joint, the sauces, roasted peppers and onions and other sides are all great too and free.

Solid and dependable, a must do!

• Visited July 2013