“Very tasty tortas!”

El Guero Canelo
Ranked #117 of 1,989 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: Mexican, Fast Food
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
El paso
“Very tasty tortas!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We tried the carne asada torta and one of their specialty hot dogs. They were great. Definetely authentic Mexican food. If you are in the Tucson area I highly recommend trying it. I will make this my regular Tucson Mexican joint. It's a casual place so don't expect anything fancy. You also really should try the Aguas frescas.

• Visited August 2013

“Not what I was expecting”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I stopped here for a late lunch. I was expecting a “real” restaurant, but it is actually a window you order from and then you take your food to a covered area with picnic tables. In the covered area there are many salsas and toppings for your food. They have bags and containers for to-go orders. I placed my order: one Medium Burro with beans and cheese, one steak taco and one chicken taco both on corn tortillas for a total of $9. I waited at least 15 minutes to receive my order and people who ordered after me received their order long before I did. I approached the window 2 times asking if my order was ready, and by the second time I was handed my order which was sitting on a back counter. They call out the numbers in Spanish, so I could have missed mine being called, but they were rude both times when I went up and asked about my order. The food was good, but not worth the hassle.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank OnTheNarrowRoad
Green Valley, Arizona
“Tacqueria to the Stars!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This ain't your ordinary Mexican restaurant. El Guero has the best Sonoran hot dog in Tucson, luscious, drippy caramelos, enormous burros and a selection of salsas and extras to suit every taste. Pile on the grilled cebollitas, peppers and pickled red onions. There's also a wide choice of beverages ...Mexican Cokes, horchata, non-alcoholic sangria, etc. You'll see a cross-section of Tucson... Raytheon engineers, local police bigwigs, U of A students, local families, Davis-Monthan airmen... everyone comes for the great food, low prices and totally informal atmosphere. This is truly a Tucson institution!

• Visited July 2013
Sydney
“A solid favourite every time we are in Tucson”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Last time we visited El Gureo Canelo was 2 years ago and we are pleased to say that while were back in the USA we managed to find ourselves back in Tucson and within an hour we were chowing down on Sonoran dogs and a huge carne asada burrito.. wonderful as ever!

The main meals are just part of this locals joint, the sauces, roasted peppers and onions and other sides are all great too and free.

Solid and dependable, a must do!

• Visited July 2013
Sierra Vista, Arizona
“Best hot dog on the planet”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is the best hot dog ever. It's a bacon wrapped grilled hot dog in a bolillo roll with pinto beans, onions, pico de gallo, and mayo on top. They also have more things you can put on it and they serve more than just the sonoran hot dogs, but that's all I've ever had. It's super super cheap too. We always bring family and friends here to try the infamous sonoran hot dog. Many places sell sonoran hot dogs, but El Guero Canelo is where they were invented and are the best. They have multiple locations, the original one also has a little churro cart outside that sells you a bag of freshly made churros for a couple bucks. This place cannot be beat.

• Visited February 2013

Been to El Guero Canelo? Share your experiences!