“Worst Italian food ever”
Review of Dolce Vita - CLOSED

Dolce Vita
Cuisines: Greek, Italian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I just moved here. My favorite foods are Italian and Mexican. I ordered the chicken parm and calimari. Awful! The marinara sauce was terrible. My mom is Greek. Most of their red sauces have cinnamon. When I eat Italian I expect garlc and oregano, not cinnamon. The calimari was awful. No pepper rings. No spices. The sauce was the same nasty cinnamon sauce. They should be ashamed to call themselves Italians. Stay away! You'll get better pasta at Pizza Hut.

1  Thank GOTHAMSC

Reviewed June 28, 2012

My family has been going to Dolce Vita for years. We call it Tucson's best kept secret. First off, the restaurant is located in a strip mall, so it tends to get overlooked. It is a small place inside, run by a family that has been doing Italian food for over 40 years, and the food is always excellent. Ive never had a bad experience here. All entrees come with soup or salad and bread..the bread is always soft and fresh and the rosemary/garlic olive oil with fresh ground pepper is delicious. Service is always courteous. I highly recommend Dolce Vita for any occasion.

3  Thank LLLegal
Reviewed May 19, 2012

We (four of us) went to Dolce Vita for diner. The general ambiance was what one might expect from a strip-mall type restaurant. The dining room was about half full. Water was brought immediately.We were reviewing the wine list (small but adequate for our needs)when the server brought the food menus. We ordered our meals. The waitress returned to be certain that my linguine with clams marinara meant "the red sauce?" Interesting. The olive oil with pepper added was a tasty dip for the sliced Italian loaf. Salads were fresh cut lettuce with veggie adds. Three of us had the garlic dressing. Quite good. I ordered a bottle of wine for me and my companion. The server brought two already poured glasses of Italian Merlot and put the bottle she had opened on the table. Our companions found that curious and actually funny. They had already ordered two separate glasses of a different variety wine. When the the meals were presented, we were a bit surprised by the serving size...quite large and more than sufficient for one person or meal. We were offered water refills often...perhaps too often. Service came close to intrusive. The food was a consensus 'very good'. My linguine was of the larger thickness than I prefer. But, it was properly cooked. The clams were alright, not noteworthy. The clams in the source were nondescript. We had a nice meal. My companions all agreed it was a pleasant meal with good food. The check was $121 before I added the gratuity. When we have an occasion to eat at an east side Italian restaurant, we will certainly return.

3  Thank redsoxbernie
Reviewed April 14, 2012

My husband and I have eaten at Dolce Vita many times and even had our daughter's wedding rehearsal dinner there. Having moved away from Tucson, we hadn't eaten there for a little over two years. The atmosphere remains very comfortable and attractive. There are linen table cloths and napkins, along with a comfortable level of lighting. Service remains excellent. The food, however, was disappointing. We have sampled all of the chicken dishes and they lingered in our memory as excellent. This time, both the chicken marian and chicken marsala were virtually tasteless and in fact, tasted like each other. The chicken was cooked to perfection as were the accompanying mushrooms. However, the sauces were extremely bland, without a hint of garlic or the other usual Italian herbs. Your choice of pasta and sauce, salad or soup, and bread are served with all entrees. The pasta was over-cooked and the sauces again, were without flavor, The salad was good and the dressings, excellent. The bread was cold Italian bread without distinction. The wine list is extensive and priced reasonably. It's always hard when a favorite restaurant doesn't live up to expectations, but perhaps this was merely a bad night for the chef. I hope so.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

We have been dining here for 10 years and only disappointed once - the pizza is just not our style. Every other meal is tremendous, w/ample servings and uniformly cordial service. They have 2 very fine Italian beers and mixed drinks never disappoint. Snow Birds should come the next time they winter in Tucson. They will be delighted.

1  Thank 12hanna