“Good crab but lousy service”
Review of Joe's Crab Shack - CLOSED

Joe's Crab Shack
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We had the crab bucket (spicy boil), Sam Adams steampot and steak. The food was quite good. The spices in the spicy boil were really good. The preparation overall was thus quite good. I have eaten at Joe's in Ft. Lauderdale and the spices in the spicy boil at the Tucson location were more flavorful and hotter than the one in FLL. However, I'd give the edge to the crab in FLL. Perhaps it is a function of proximity to the ocean and/or consequent freshness.

The beer and wine offerings are really limited. It is surprising that they didn't have a better selection of wines to pair with the food, especially considering that they serve fairly expensive seafood.

The food is pricey but I believe it is worth it for the quality, at least for the crab. I recommend the queen crab over the snow crab. I recommend the spicy boil (if you can handle the heat) over the garlic herb boil.

The service is an entirely different matter. The waitress who serves us was nice enough but she was extremely incompetent. Certainly she knew nothing about wines (e.g., she had never been asked which year is the wine X you are serving). She did not know how to serve wine. The bottle of wine came already opened rather than being opened tableside. She checked back only once during the entire dinner (so water wasn't going to be refilled if we needed it). This lousy service could have been explained if the restaurant was crowded. It was a Wednesday night and there were at most 3 other tables occupied and there were a couple of other waiters walking around. As best as I recall, the FLL locations had much better service. So, I was keen to go back here but on the service front, I was quite disappointed.

Overall, you can go here for the crab/food but you should be prepared for lousy service.

2  Thank V V

Reviewed March 24, 2014

We celebrated two birthday dinner's! It was a fun night. Food was great. Service even better. Loved that they sang happy birthday to our friends (including costumes). Will visit again.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

The last time my husband went to this restaurant, he felt the food was mediocre. We thought we'd give it a second try. The food was dreadful. First our waiter told us that all their fish is frozen--very strange for a fish restaurant.My husband had fish and chips. The fish was pollack--the cheapest fish there is. He ate one piece with this doughy coating and the fries (the fries were good.) Later in the evening and to the next morning he had a stomach ache. I had the Malibu, grilled shrimp. The shrimp had no texture and was doused in salty buttery sauce..Likewise, the broccoli looked good but was so coated in butter and salt that you could not taste broccoli. I could only eat half my meal. The place was not crowded (I understand why.) Our server was nice--but service was just average.

1  Thank Azsunshinelover
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Good service, and just about what you would expect going to a chain like this. Steam Pots are awesome and the quality of the food was good!

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Food is always great, the staff is great. If you go mid-day it's a bit slower, and you can just sit back and enjoy the meal. Always a perfect stop, and look forward to returning.

1  Thank OnTheRoadAgnn