“This Location is the Best...”

El Charro Cafe - Ventana
Ranked #52 of 1,990 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Spanish, Latin
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Tucson, Arizona
“This Location is the Best...”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

There are a few of these El Charro's here in Tucson, and we have been to all of them, and keep coming back to this one. The food and service are consistently great, as others are not. The view at this Sunrise Location is very nice as the Catalina Mountains are nearby. They have an outdoor Patio area near the bar, and off the main dining area and both are shaded for summer evening dining. Happy Hour prices are wonderful, and we actually had the Cinco de Summer plates that were tasty and just enough along with there tasty Guacamole and a Coconut Flan dessert. The draft beer at Happy hour are, I believe half off, so enjoy the beer, great food and the best service in the Foothills of Tucson.

• Visited June 2013

Tucson, Arizona, United States
“My Favorite spot”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I bring every visitor we have to El Charro on Court street. The food is among the best in Tucson, reasonably priced, and the historic building and atmosphere are "so Tucson".

Visited April 2013
United States
“Not Sure What the Fuss is About”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were in town for a relaxing vacation, so I took the recommendations of Tripadvisor reviewers for the El Charro since we didn't know restaurants in Tucson. Neither of us were all that impressed with this place. I will say that it is a very nicely decorated place, but the service was so-so and the food was, honestly, nothing special. My husband had the "pick your enchiladas" plate that he said was just okay, but only one of the three enchiladas tasted good, the other two were dry and tasteless. I had the beef burrito dinner. I did not like it very much as it was a smallish flour tortilla, with wet (I mean very, very drippy wet) beef in it. The tortilla wasn't all that warm and the filling was just weird with all that juice. It was a soupy, rather dull burrito. Both meals were served with a strange side of rice. There were carrots and peas in the rice. The flavor was drab and reminded me of something you'd get in a package from the grocery store. The charro beans were so, so plain. Again, open up a store bought can of beans, heat them and you'll duplicate El Charro's beans.

I really wanted to like this place and even told my husband that everyone on Tripadvisor loved this place, so I know it'll be great. Wrong. If we lived in the area, we would not choose this place again.

• Visited May 2013
Tucson
“An old standby”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Consistently average. Can't say much either good or bad about it. It's reliably mediocre but with nice surroundings.

Visited November 2012
Chicago
“Close to Loews resort”
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

We went here while staying at the Loews resort in Tucson. There are 4 restaurants they will shuttle you to - this looked like a good option. Menu was the usual but it was very tasty. I had a salad with grilled citrus shrimp - great presentation and good taste. It was pretty healthy and I had some veggies to take back for a snack. My husband had chicken and shrimp fajitas - not a huge platter but enough to take some home. Pitcher of margs was good - not too tart. I would redvommend El Charro.

• Visited May 2013