“Fantastic food!”

Cup Cafe in Hotel Congress
Reserve with OpenTable
Cup Cafe in Hotel Congress is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 2,052 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 5th Ave.
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I have been here many times before and had a great experience, but my last visit was fantastic! I live in Tucson and took my Mom here while she was visiting. We went without a reservation on a Saturday and suprisingly got in! I ordered one of the best meals I have had in a long time-chicken breast stuffed with mushrooms over butternut squash gnocci. My mouth is watering just thinking about it! My husband had the special; steak with blue cheese and carmelized red onions and asparagus. My Mom just had a garden salad but added salmon, which was cooked to perfection. We were too full for dessert, but the case filled with them looked pretty tasty! With this visit, Cup Cafe has earned a place in my favorite Tucson restaurants list!

Karlen R, Manager at Cup Cafe in Hotel Congress, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Everyday we try to do something new with our steak special, and we love hearing you liked that days offering. Thank you for the review and we're thrilled to hear we're now one of your favorite places here in Tucson.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Ate there for dinner based on the rave reviews (people said great burgers and fish and chips). We got both and both were just average. We asked how heavy the fish were battered and we were told "lightly" they came medium to heavy battered.

Ate there for breakfast and the coffee, selections, portion size and quality was very good. The bottom line for us was it seems to be better for breakfast/lunch/brunch than for a dinner destination. We stayed at the hotel.

Karlen R, Manager at Cup Cafe in Hotel Congress, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Glad you enjoyed your stay in the hotel and that our breakfasts lived up to the hype, but I am disapointed that our Burger and our Fish & Chips, which are two of our best selling and most popular items, didn't meet your standards. Hopefully next time we'll win you over.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We've had good experiences at this restaurant in the past but the last two visits were so bad that I had to write about them. First, a family dinner. All the dishes were so badly prepared with such terrible ingredients that it's hard to believe a restaurant would serve them - for example, a steak special that was a tasteless end cut, tough and with lots of gristle, a pork dish was literally a roll of fat, and a salmon dish that was overcooked and floating in some tasteless liquid that was supposed to be a sauce. Add to that the outrageous prices and some obsequious service and you can imagine that this was a memorable evening for the wrong reasons. But because of the favorable experiences in the past we went back thinking that perhaps we had been there on a bad evening. So next it was a family Sunday brunch with young children. The breakfast dishes are fine and when we got service it was also acceptable. Our problem on this occasion was the wait time. We called ahead and were told it would be about a 15 min wait. We arrived 10 min later and were told the wait time was now 30 min. An hour later we were seated and after another 30 min we finally had service. During the hour we waited, the table that we eventually occupied remained empty. Of course, wait times are unpredictable and circumstances (perhaps staff did not arrive?) change. But in retrospect it was discourteous of the restaurant not to warn us about the likely wait times, especially as we were there with young children. In summary, the Cup Cafe cannot be recommended at the moment. I agree with another review that you should avoid any dishes that are more than a basic burger at dinner and it would be worth quizzing the hostess about realistic wait times whenever you visit.

If there is ever a problem, be it quality of food or service, PLEASE ask for a manager. We have an AM and a PM boss with the full authority to correct any and all issues and we are more then happy to do so. It kills me to think you love our place, and had back-to-back lousy visits. The next time you're here, ask for either of us personally and we'll make sure the place lives up to your expectations.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Pros
fast service
Cons
downtown Tucson a mess...pathetic revamp process...AVOID
food below average
fish and chips greasy and tasteless
meat balls nothing to write home about
deserts average at best
hummus plate was fair
never go back

I don't really have any control over Downtown construction, but thanks for complimenting our speed of service and we hope you'll give our menu another try in the future.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

You might travel to Tucson for the weather but you will return for a piece of Lemon Merengue Pie from Cup Cafe ... I can't describe how wonderful it is! The place is a special piece of southwestern culture & history. Five stars over and over again!

1  Thank smartinky

Rockstars, Politicians, and most importantly, our customers all agree that we have one of the best Lemon Merengue Pies anywhere. The baker lives for this kind of praise