“The Rogue Arcadia Stirs Memories”
Review of The Rogue Theatre

The Rogue Theatre
Ranked #5 of 31 Concerts & Shows in Tucson
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Rogue Theatre recently announced its 2017-18 season and tickets are available through our web site or by calling our box office. There will be five productions in this our thirteenth season. September: Celia, a Slave by Barbara Seyda; November: Bach at Leipzig by Itamar Moses; January: The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck, adapted by Frank Galati; Feb - March: Three Tall Women by Edward Albee; April - May: King Lear. We continue to fulfill our mission of emphasizing language and literature with a company of actors presenting plays with complex and provocative points of view.
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Some years ago I christened my personal blog "Stirring The Pudding" because of my admiration for Tom Stoppard and his marvelous play Arcadia. My wife and I had seen the play in London and I was immediately moved to want to direct it. It had that marked combination of intellectual depth combined with humor that has always appealed to me. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead gave us its opening series of existential coin flips and Arcadia continues to show Stoppard's fascination with mathematics and philosophy. Both plays ironically, while making pronouncements of indeterminacy, futility, decay, and chaos, illustrate that the theatre can do what physics cannot. In life you cannot remove the color of the jam once stirred into a pudding. Time is irreversible and the 2nd law of thermodynamics ensures that tea, once poured, will only cool. On the stage though, outcomes are pre-determined and you can go back and forth in time and space seamlessly.

I did end up directing Arcadia in the late 1990's and it became one of my favorite productions. Upon our arrival in Tucson two weeks ago, we saw that the Rogue Theatre was doing it and scrambled to get a pair of tickets.

And guess what, you can re-stir the pudding in your imagination. Yesterday I re-lived my own production of the play while seeing another production of it. At times I could see my cast members and hear their voices; at other times the superlative cast of the Rogue company took over the narrative. All I know is at the finish I could waltz again with the past while still acknowledging that life can only move forward not back.

A heartfelt thank you to this fine group of actors and their talented director Cynthia Meier for demonstrating so fully the power of the theatre to make us laugh, love, think, and feel.

Special kudos goes to the entire Rogue Theatre organization and its supporters. We were met with smiles and conversation by staff and audience members alike. The cast was accessible after the show and the talkback was spontaneous and energetic. People who treat customers like this are not only fine artists but also commercial managers of the first order.

If you should find yourself in Tucson, look no further for great theatre than The Rogue Theatre.

There are newer reviews for The Rogue Theatre

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Arcadia is one of Tom Stoppard's most exciting and provocative plays. As usual, it's the Rogue that's chooses the daring project! This is the little company that could, and they do. Thorough going professionals with courage and imagination. Hats off to The Rogue Theatre!

Reviewed December 21, 2013

I am something of a theater fanatic, and every year or two, I travel to New York just to see plays. At home in Tucson, I have my only theatre subscription with Rogue. Besides just enjoying the plays, I appreciate the thoughtfulness that the company puts into each production, something that goes well beyond just entertainment. I think especially of The New Electric Ballroom, The Night Heron, the Merchant of Venice, and Major Barbara.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

This small professional theater offers the highest quality productions in an intimate setting. I have been to many productions over the years and am always highly impressed with the acting, directing, and stagecraft. If you are in Tucson for any length of time, make a point of seeing one of their plays -- you will not be disappointed!

1  Thank JoAnH1218
Reviewed December 5, 2013

The Rogue has put on 3 of Shakespeare's plays in the last 3 seasons. Winter's Tale was well done, Richard III was excellent, and Measure for Measure last month expressed the humor and the ambiguity of this great play as well as anyone could wish. They've done very good things outside of Shakespeare -- an adaptation of Faulkner's As I Lay Dying comes to mind -- but it's the Shakespeare that most interests me and there they run with the best.

1  Thank Bill S