“An adventure”

Mt. Lemmon Scenic Byway
Ranked #4 of 301 things to do in Tucson
Reviewed October 22, 2013

The drive was longer than anticipated but well worth it. Take advantage of the pull-offs. Many photo ops.

There are newer reviews for Mt. Lemmon Scenic Byway

Reviewed October 21, 2013

My flight left Tucson at noon, and I was debating if I wanted to get up at 4:45am to make the scenic drive to catch the sunrise at 6:30am. I'm so glad I woke up! It is a beautiful drive. It was dark when I hit the first view point, Babad Do'ah. You can see the city below and if you've only got 15 mins til sunrise, park there and wait. I had about a half hour, so I risked it and kept driving up the mountain. You're heading west for awhile, so I was nervous that I was going to completely miss the sunrise behind me, but then I reached Windy Point viewpoint at about 6,400 ft elevation. This was the best viewpoint! I was the only one there (no cars at all the whole time I was driving), so I grabbed my granola bar and sat on a rock. The sun rose at 6:27am. It was perfect - completely silent, no cars speeding by, and the way the sun lit up the mountains was beautiful. Then I kept driving to reach Summerhaven, hoping for a convenience store or bathroom, but I guess at 7am on a Saturday everything is closed, which makes sense. There is not a lot to Summerhaven... it still looks devastated from the Aspen Fire 10 years ago. I took a bit more time driving back down the 25 miles to take pics, etc and by that time there were a lot more cars and cyclists out. I was off the mountain by 8am. This drive is worth it, especially the sunrise.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Winding curves, breathtaking views, pullouts to take pictures, hiking trailheads, camp areas,elevation change that takes you from hot to cool. And, if you have the right kind of car and some extra time, you can roll down the north of the mountain on dirt roads to the town of Oracle and the back to town. Absolutely the best. Oh, make sure you really do have the right kind of car for the road to Oracle.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

We drove up to Windy Point to rock climb. The views are amazing and there is so much climbing, from trad to sport to toproping. Some of the climbs are easy to get to, and even the beginner climbs get exposure. The sunsets here are beautiful!

Reviewed October 16, 2013

The drive up Mt. Lemmon is a chance to get close to nature and experience beautiful and varied scenery.

The road is a wide two lane road which is well maintained. The trip to the town of Summerhaven near the top is approximately 26 miles. The road starts out in the Sonoran Desert with a multitude of saguaro cacti. It quickly rises and the cacti disappear and are replaced by scrub and small trees. There are fascinating rock formations and hoodoos at this level. Some of them seem precipitously balanced on the edge of cliffs. At even higher altitudes you enter an alpine forest. The views from 8000-9000 feet are expansive and beautiful and are comparable to those from a plane. You can actually see New Mexico.

There are many pullovers to allow vehicles to pass or stop and take pictures. There are also numerous vistas with ample parking and great photo opportunities. At Windy Point there are exceptional hoodoos and a limitless view.

Near the top in the town of Summerhaven there is a restaurant, general store, and gift shop. Public restrooms are in the community center. You should make sure that you have ample gas as there are no nearby gas stations, A jacket is also worthwhile as the temperature can be 30 degrees lower at the summit.

This trip was very relaxing and enjoyable.

1  Thank Kbarrelle