“Great Filet Mignon”

Ranked #98 of 2,050 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: Barbecue, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: In 1915, the Tucson Citizen reported that local developer John Murphey had purchased several thousand acres of property in the foothills of the Catalina Mountains to the north of town. The editors of the newspaper projected the purchase as "folly”, an investment in worthless desert hillsides, never to be recovered. For John Murphey, it took just over a decade to prove his detractors wrong. By the end of the 1920s, homes were being built in the Catalina Foothills neighborhoods, and the distinctive Spanish Colonial and Mission Revival style buildings in the area began to take form. A short distance east of Campbell Avenue a building was built in 1926, possibly the first restaurant/cafe/tavern east of Oracle Road. The El Corral you dine in tonight is located in the same building (with some modifications of course). In 1939, the owner of El Corral Cafe, Leroy C. Perkins subdivided a quarter section of land into Los Ranches Perkins. The first dwellings built were used as guest cottages for a seasonal ranch. In 1946, the business name was changed to El Corral Night Club, owned first by E.H. Bruening. The "Nightclub" name continued through the 1950s. El Corral was purchased again in the 1970s by Agro Land and Cattle Company. The name was simplified to El Corral, but the restaurant has remained in the same building and location. Over the past 40 years, El Corral has continued to serve Tucsonans and their guests some of the best prime rib in Arizona. In 2014, El Corral celebrated its 75th year in existence. This is something we take great pride in. Thank you for joining us this evening, and we hope to serve the community for another 75 years!
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This restaurnat was recommeded by the hotel clerk and what a great choice. The steak was cooked just right and the western decor just added to the atmosphere for dining. There was a slight musty odor but I guess when an establishment is 75 years old this is something that cannot be avoided.

Would go back again during our next visit to Tucson.

1  Thank flowinghair1795

Reviewed May 18, 2014

Steak that needs zero sauces and pulls apart, fresh veggies, great service, homey feel, huge parking lot and down to earth atmosphere. Not snooty posh. Had a really nice time. Our server even sang Happy Anniversary over a complimentary piece of holy moly good cake!

1  Thank Tammy-Sue K
Reviewed May 13, 2014

First off, this restaurant is located in a sprawling ranch house style building with what seems like 100 rooms. They are incredibly busy but a tip is to call ahead and, while they don't take reservations, they place you on a "first seated" list (sounds like a reservation to me, doesn't it to you?) so that when you arrive you go to the head of the list.
Take time to wander the rooms and look at the authentic and very cool western memorabilia and the historic photos, it's like a museum.
The food is typical steakhouse fare but the prices are incredibly low by today's standards. Imaging a large bone-in rib-eye for $19.95! Filet mignon for less than $17.00...you get the idea.
The salad is pretty good as is the bread. One side dish that they are known for is the tamale pie.
I would advise you to skip that, it is basically corn masa with about 3/8" of cheese slab on top. Not at all appetizing and really pretty tasteless and absolutely no heat in the way of either spice or temperature either.
The service was great and attentive too. All around a very enjoyable evening and a restaurant I feel comfortable in recommending you give a try.

1  Thank murphy2
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We went here when the other restaurants we wanted to check out were crowded. We were seated immediately, the food was outstanding. I had researched the place ahead of time so I knew the prime rib was the way to go. It was not disappointing, the food was outstanding and the atmosphere reminded me a lot of Pinnacle Peak. Definitely different from Pinnacle Peak but outstanding food and service too.

1  Thank doc10261881
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I visited this restaurant several years ago and wanted to try it again. If you go there during the winter snow bird season, you can expect to wait. I went out of the busy season. The service was prompt and courteous. I viewed the menu on line so I knew what I wanted to order. My wife chose prime rib. Her comment was it was better than what I make at home because the cut of meat was better. I had the bone in ribeye. It was much larger than I expected and was done just as I ordered it. It was topped with tamale pie as a side.WOW! The meal was very reasonably priced. The Western atmosphere was great with a lot of old cowboy and cowgirl pictures. I do not understand why patrons would be dissatisfied with El Corral.

1  Thank Brandywine71

Been to El Corral Restaurant? Share your experiences!