“Outstanding as Always!”
Review of Vivace Restaurant

Vivace Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Vivace Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 1,994 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: Italian, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Campbell and River
Description: Rated number one for food in Tucson, by Zagat Survey, this Foothills restaurant has a Tuscan decor providing northern Italian fare, thoughtfully prepared with reasonable prices and wine list. Choose from a selection of appetizers, salads, pasta and main plates such as crab filled breaded chicken breast or grilled fresh salmon and rock shrimp. Relaxed inside and patio dining.
Tucson, Arizona
“Outstanding as Always!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We love the outside dining at certain times during the year. Its relaxing and the ambience is great.
The food is wonderful and the staff very attuned to the needs of their customers.
I love the veal and my husband loves the pastas.

Visited October 2012

Tucson
“Very Pleased”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Took my wife to Vivace Restaurant for a romantic dinner after watching "Taken 2." I chose Vivace due to it's rating on Trip Advisor. Was able to get a reservation for 9PM after calling at around 4PM the same day.

Pluses: The first thing I noticed was the atmosphere when I walked in. Very classy inside and it feels like a more upscale than a chain restaurant, but there's no dress code so it makes it comfortable/casual.

The food was AWESOME. I had the grilled snapper with cream sauce and rice and my wife had the pork sorrento. My wife was very happy with her pork but preferred my snapper, which was so good I didn't even want try her dish.

Our server was AWESOME. He helped both of us choose are meals and suggested the cheese souffle. I would go back just for the cheese souffle alone.

CONS: We went on a Friday night. The restaurant was sort of packed and loud. Particularly loud drunks at the bar celebrating something. The table we sat at was seemed to be directly under a vent so to get a way from the noise and the AC I asked for a table outside and the waiter was able to accommodate us. Unfortunately I underestimated how cool it was outside and it ended up being a bit cooler outside than it was inside, but because it was quieter/more romantic outside we toughed it out. There is a fountain outside and romantic lighting. There was also a club/bar across the parking lot that we were able to hear the music from, but it wasn't annoying or distracting at all compared to the loud atmosphere inside Vivace.

The only other con would be that it's a little pricey, but I can't complain to much because of the quality of the food and the quality of the service. I would recommend Vivace for couples!

BTW their bread is AWESOME!

• Visited November 2012
Tucson Arizona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 3,147 helpful votes
“Food was delicious, but very unhappy with the service.”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Yesterday, we took our very dear friends out to dinner for their 50th Wedding Anniversary. It was a warm evening, and the outdoor seating at Vivace is delightful (facing a lovely courtyard), so we decided that was the perfect spot. Did not make reservations as all of us first had to attend the Tucson Museum of Art Treasure House Sale (5-8 in the evening), and we were not sure how long that would take.
We arrived around 7:45, and the place was packed with happy diners. However, a wonderful cozy table was found for us outside, and we got ourselves settled. The waitress kept asking for our drink order ( a little too insistent!), but we were planning on champagne and wanted to study the list first. When we ordered the champagne (Veuve Cliquot $89), I expressly told her that our friends were celebrating their anniversary, and that there would be one bill and it comes to me as we were taking them out.
When the champagne was brought to the table and our friends saw the label, they were aghast, but hey, how often does one celebrate a 50th anniversary?
I don't need to talk about the food as it was just wonderful, and many other reviewers have spoken of the delicious dishes. I had the mussels (which were a "special" on Friday night), and they were as good as any I had in New England. They were just TOO good, cooked to perfection.
The service was another matter. We did not like the handling of the champagne (No finesse. According to the waitress, this could have been a bottle of Dos Equis beer!), nor the pouring. She did not distribute the pouring equally, pouring more for us than our guests. Then, without any further ado, she "dumped" the rest of the champagne into our glasses, filling some of them so high, it was impossible to pick up the glass without spilling. Never refilled our water glasses, and all in all was too loud and seemed out of place there.
The final straw was when she came with the bill. This was a larger tile table for four, and to reach the other side of the table, one would have to get out of the large heavy chair. So, we were pleasantly conversing, when she brings the bill and puts it in front of our GUESTS !!! Now wait a minute here, I very clearly stated that the bill comes to me! My husband tried to make a grab for it, and I told her, "Please pick it up and bring it here. We are the ones paying." Instead, she left it there and off she went. Our friends told us that they never expected such an expensive treat, and they would pay half. SO.............instead of everything ending most pleasantly, we now had an argument on our hands. We insisted (and threatened) that we were paying the bill, and they finally passed it over.
All of this could have been so easily avoided had this server been on her toes. Even after she placed the bill in front of them, realizing her mistake, she could have picked it up and sweetly said, "Sorry, those people across from you INSIST on paying", and then brought it over to us. But, no, she did a fast disappearing act.
A classy first rate establishment like this, needs servers with class. This one had none. She came and picked up the bill (and opened to check what her tip was) while we were still chatting at the table. Not ever have we seen such a thing happen !

• Visited November 2012
13 Thank NYU62
Connecticut
“Perfect”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Making a reservation is a good idea here - Vivace is popular for a reason, so it's never empty. Service is excellent, even for the solo diner (who often gets short shrift in restaurants). The ambiance is elegant, but there's no need to dress up. Shorts and flip-flops would be out of place, but as long as you do better than that, you're fine. But come for the food!

The warm bread and oil to dip it (one dish with pesto) is the perfect start. I had the escargot with artichoke as an appetizer. It could have used a bit more garlic, but I think that about every dish, so I'm not the most reliable guide on the subject. The artichoke is a nice flavor twist on the usual escargot presentation. The seafood lasagnette main course, a combination of tender pasta, seafood, spinach, and cheese, all in a nice, chunky tomato and basil sauce, was spot on - it couldn't be improved upon.

Not cheap, but not out of line for what you get.

• Visited October 2012
Tucson
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Food”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

The food was incredible. The wait staff was very attentive and made our visit that much more enjoyable.

Visited August 2012

Been to Vivace Restaurant? Share your experiences!